Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Might there be a VRT amnesty?

Options
  • 24-11-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Just curious..

In light of the recent announcements on foreign registered vehicles, going on a register past 42 days in the State etc, it seems that the government really want to get as many foreign cars registered as possible. It's understandable. Aside from the missing road tax revenue on these cars, there are parking / speeding fines, toll charges etc etc that can't be enforced. Plus, some may not be insured.

So, does anyone think there might be some kind of "free VRT" amnesty, as an incentive to get as many foreign registered cars, already in Ireland, registered on Irish plates and let the Revenue start receiving Irish road tax for them, which, up until now, the owners haven't been paying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Doubtfull, sure lifting every yellow reg car on the road would be a better money maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd be less surprised if they legalised cocaine for Christmas, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

No, the Government needs all the money it can get on VRT and fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd be less surprised if they legalised cocaine for Christmas, TBH.

LOL :P

So anyway, not just yellow plates, but I mean Polish, Latvian (etc.) cars as well (well, all foreign regs). I know that the VRT revenue would be lost during this (hypothetical) amnesty, but surely the road tax gained, and fines, tolls etc, all combined would more than make up for it?

Or perhaps it wouldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A large proportion of the Polish, Latvian, etc cars can be re-registered here VRT-free as it stands...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

MYOB wrote: »
    A large proportion of the Polish, Latvian, etc cars can be re-registered here VRT-free as it stands...

That's true actually, yeh. Owned for more than 6 months / more than 6000kms on the clock. Didn't think of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

benifa wrote: »

So, does anyone think there might be some kind of "free VRT" amnesty, as an incentive to get as many foreign registered cars, already in Ireland, registered on Irish plates and let the Revenue start receiving Irish road tax for them, which, up until now, the owners haven't been paying?

The revenue have never had such a thing for any tax. Sure there was a tax amnesty in the early 90s, and the finance bill has an amnesty for stamp duty. But this only mitigates the penalties... the full duty and full .0273% per day interest is payable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Santi24

Well, if the Irish Government set normal road taxes and did not allow insurance companies to set prohibitive prices tha number of foreign-registered cars would not be that high.

Ireland has extremely expensive road taxes and crap roads.
    That is a SHAME!

Santi24 wrote: »
    Well, if the Irish Government set normal road taxes and did not allow insurance companies to set prohibitive prices tha number of foreign-registered cars would not be that high.

That is a SHAME!

If it didn't come from roads it'd come from income or another source. And its motor tax and founds county councils not roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

If it didn't come from roads it'd come from income or another source. And its motor tax and founds county councils not roads.

Maybe if they spent it better, they would not need so much of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

VRT is illegal under EU rules anyway as it is a tax on a tax and is compound. I really don't know why the EU haven't forced its removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm sure if there was free Vrt, there'll be a huge excess of cars in the country from people importing. And alot of unhappy people who have just bought cars and paid vrt.

I was talking to an English fella who was giving out saying they nearly wanted "€4,000 tax for that car." He got it free as he owned the car awhile. I was thinking, lol, imagine if he had to pay 36% on something more valuable lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,197 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

andrewh5 wrote: »
    VRT is illegal under EU rules anyway as it is a tax on a tax and is compound. I really don't know why the EU haven't forced its removal.

We should do a deal, we'll give them the yes if they drop the price of drink and scrap VRT.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

It's weird, we seem to have rejected Lisbon to prevent interference in our tax system, it looks like we might not have thought this through at all!!! :D:D:D

Its not illegal. Its against the ethos but its NOT illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Santi24 wrote: »

1) It's motor tax, not road tax. The money isn't ringfenced for roads, as has been pointed out here ad nauseam in the past.
    2) In Holland, for example, I'd be paying more than double what I'm paying here for my current car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Its not illegal. Its against the ethos but its NOT illegal.
    Yes, that's the EU's current stance, that it "goes against the spirit" of EU competition law, or something like that, but they don't say it's illegal. Anyway, as has also been pointed out here ad nauseam, we're not the only EU countries with a VRT equivalent. The Netherlands and Denmark being two notable examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kurva

Darragh29 wrote: »
    It's weird, we seem to have rejected Lisbon to prevent interference in our tax system, it looks like we might not have thought this through at all!!! :D:D:D

It was reverse Psychology at its best

Fianna FAIL : "how can we guarantee a No Vote?"

culchie-nomics V1 paraphrase 66 : "To gain a no vote simply support a Yes Vote - whilst making sure not a explain a thing"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'll vote for Lisbon next time if the abolish VRT....I bet that would swing the vote

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I'll vote for Lisbon next time if the abolish VRT....I bet that would swing the vote

I wouldnt. No chance I'd give up an optional tax in favour of a mandatory one (most likely replacement would be a nice big income tax hike)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Stekelly wrote: »
    I wouldnt. No chance I'd give up an optional tax in favour of a mandatory one (most likely replacement would be a nice big income tax hike)

whats optional about VRT?

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    whats optional about VRT?

The choice of whether to buy somethign that attracts vrt or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

I wanted to bring in a 2005 audi a8 tdi recently, on ebay the car is 13k sterling. thats 15800. ferry from holyhead 112 euro, diesel 40 euro, ryanair flight to leeds/bradford, 35 euro total price of car is 16000 euro.

The vrt i have to pay on this car is 21000 euro!! 5 thousand more than the actual price of the car. total after bringing in car is 38400 after road tax.

why should i pay 21k in vrt?? why what am i getting for this small fortune? free tolls? free road tax? use of bus lanes? free diesel??. Ill tell you what im getting SFA!!
    im done with biffo and the rest of them, they can all go jump for all i care now.:mad:

pipsqueak wrote: »
    why should i pay 21k in vrt?? why what am i getting for this small fortune? free tolls? free road tax? use of bus lanes? free diesel??. Ill tell you what im getting SFA!!
    im done with biffo and the rest of them, they can all go jump for all i care now.:mad:

You get the same as if you buy the car here, which is the point.

As for Brian Cowan, did VRT just come in when he took over?

Stekelly wrote: »
    You get the same as if you buy the car here, which is the point.

As for Brian Cowan, did VRT just come in when he took over?

if you can remember back early nineties when bertie was junior finance minister he brought it in. Fianna fail brought this in cowen has been fianna fail since 1985, minister for finance since mc creevys departure and now leader of this sinking ship of a goverment. Cowen is part of all this and has done nothing but made the situation worse.
    I cant believe some people think paying 21k on top of the car price is fair...sheez!

if you can remember back early nineties when bertie was junior finance minister he brought it in. Fianna fail brought this in cowen has been fianna fail since 1985, minister for finance since mc creevys departure and now leader of this sinking ship of a goverment. Cowen is part of all this and has done nothing but made the situation worse.!

and if you remember rightly you'll know that it was little more than a rewording of the import duty brought in by FG. Just changed enough to make sure it didnt break and EU laws.
    I cant believe some people think paying 21k on top of the car price is fair...sheez!

Why should it be charged on cars originally sold in Ireland and not foreign ones? If it was there would be no garages in Ireland.

anyway, regardless who brought it in, its stil a fair unjust tax and makes a whole mockery of single market eu. all of this has been said before.

unfair sic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I wanted to bring in a 2005 audi a8 tdi recently, on ebay the car is 13k sterling. thats 15800. ferry from holyhead 112 euro, diesel 40 euro, ryanair flight to leeds/bradford, 35 euro total price of car is 16000 euro.

The vrt i have to pay on this car is 21000 euro!! 5 thousand more than the actual price of the car. total after bringing in car is 38400 after road tax.

Is that not still approx 10,000 off what it would cost here? 10k is not SFA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You mean the VRT you would have to pay if you weren't a tax dodger?
    Something fast? sporty, luxurious? try mine!!
    let us know.....http://www.carlist.ie/114795

Advertisement