Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exemptions In School

Options
  • 24-11-2008 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Ello
    Iv Been Doing Spanish for the past 3 years
    My Spanish class is completely overcrowded ,because there was only one opening in the timetable and 30 students wanted to do Spanish
    The school let all 30 students study it
    I'm finding it very hard to learn anything with so many people because there is a lot of messing and the teacher cant control them ,
    Iv asked the principle to make the class smaller ,But she refused
    And now I'm picking my leaving cert subjects and I just wanted to know if because of this problem could i get an exemption from Spanish so that i can go to college if i don't go back into it.
    And how would i go about getting one

~#~SORRY FOR REPOSTING WANTED TO DO MY BEST TO GET AN ANSWER~#~

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Hi,

Thirty people to a class isn't considered over-crowded in the Irish education system. That was standard in my school.

From my reading of your post, you're in third or fourth year and you're picking your LC subjects. What sort of exemption were you hoping on getting? Are you referring to the requirement to have a continental language to get into UCD? If so, have you done French or German, and could you continue these to LC instead? Also, TCD will take Irish as a continental language for admissions purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

you could get grinds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Kershaw.D

I honestly havnt got a clue what type of exemption
    Just what ever i need to get into ucd to study geography and history
    I think that 30+ is overcrowded all of the rest of my classes have at most 18 students in it

Kershaw.D wrote: »
    I think that 30+ is overcrowded all of the rest of my classes have at most 18 students in it

You're fortunate your school doesn't pack 30 into all classes it can.

I don't think there are exemptions. You can do study History and Geography in TCD without LC Spanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Kershaw.D

Okay
    Thanks Very Much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Kershaw.D wrote: »
    Ello
    Iv Been Doing Spanish for the past 3 years
    My Spanish class is completely overcrowded ,because there was only one opening in the timetable and 30 students wanted to do Spanish
    The school let all 30 students study it
    I'm finding it very hard to learn anything with so many people because there is a lot of messing and the teacher cant control them ,
    Iv asked the principle to make the class smaller ,But she refused
    And now I'm picking my leaving cert subjects and I just wanted to know if because of this problem could i get an exemption from Spanish so that i can go to college if i don't go back into it.
    And how would i go about getting one

~#~SORRY FOR REPOSTING WANTED TO DO MY BEST TO GET AN ANSWER~#~

Don't get grinds or any of that. Go for one amazing summer instead. Grab a friend who's doing Spanish (though they don't have to) and head off to Spain for a summer after 5th year. You'll have an amazing time and though you'll be lost for a month, you'll be fluent by the time you're in final year and won't need to worry about exemptions.

If you really need to, just do pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

You're fortunate your school doesn't pack 30 into all classes it can.

I don't think there are exemptions. You can do study History and Geography in TCD without LC Spanish.

You need a second language to get into UCD. There are some loopholes though, one being an E in a HL language is counted as a pass if you have 4 HL honours. I know you said TCD The Economist but as the OP is posting in the UCD forum I am assuming he/she wants to come here.

I know you said TCD The Economist but as the OP is posting in the UCD forum I am assuming he/she wants to come here.

Agreed. Tidbits like knowing UCD may grant admission with a fail can only help him/her. Similarly, pointing out that a university all of three miles from UCD with at least as good an international reputation grants admission with the courses the OP presumably must sit regardless can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Agreed. Tidbits like knowing UCD may grant admission with a fail can only help him/her. Similarly, pointing out that a university all of three miles from UCD with at least as good an international reputation grants admission with the courses the OP presumably must sit regardless can only be a good thing.

Agreed, Trinity is a fine University and the OP should not blindly choose one over the other. Knowledge is power as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Trinity is a fine University
    Ah now here! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Whatever about Spanish, pay more attention in English class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'd say it's quite likely that the OP doesn't know too much about the CAO system and how to actually get into college if he/she hasn't entered senior cycle yet.

Kershaw, Arts in UCD will get you geography and history and the entry requirements are relatively low for most hard working students.
    If all of your classes(excluding Spanish) have in the region of 18 students in them, I would think your school sounds like a decent enough place to work hard and achieve your required points

Advertisement