Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intrument query

Options
  • 24-11-2008 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi ! Does anyone know what instrument is best used to play the tune " The Lonesome Boatman" ? I have been asked to play it for an event and I think it sounds a bit squeky on tin whistle in the key of G, Help Me !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

How about a low D whistle?
    Failing that, standard D or C for a bit lower. G is certainly in the squeaky range :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭squelly

It works very well on a Bb (b flat) or any of the low whistles most popular of which the D.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

i think finbar used to play it on a G low whistle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gregoryp

Yep, B flat, C, D will all work. Low whistle would be the best and I believe that there are some really good shorter version low whistles which might be easier to get used to given the finger differences.

With the standard generation whistles the G, F, E flat can get a little squeeky but if you find the right whistle be it wooden or a low etc may work also.

Best of luck

Advertisement