Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Team's capabale of breaking into the top four

• 25-11-2008 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

Just a thread for people to put forward who they think could break into the premier league's top four?
    I would like to put forward the case of tottenham ... Yes underachievement since Martin jol left coupled with a very leaky defence has left us further back then since before Jol came to tottenham. I think tho with Redknapp's history of maximising the results achieved by his teams next season could see a sustained challange to the top four.
    Tho that said it will probably be easier for both Villa and man city to break in at the moment Arsenal i think are doomed to lose there top four position.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Aston Villa could beat Arsenal to fourth.
    Don't think Spurs, Everton or City are up to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

If we can get Keegan back, and re-sign Beardsley, Newcastle can do it.

I may or may not be extracting the urine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

aston villa

redknapp will get no further with spurs than he did with pompey

frankly - everton are too poor

man city, who knows. we'll see how this whole "richest team ever everest" works out. good punt for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Spurs are too inconsistent, with little continuity from season to season, and it's almost certainly unachievable this year due to their awful start.

Everton don't have the squad size, the money or the ambition.

Man City are also too inconsistent, and the entire club is in a state of upheaval at the moment.

Portsmouth are struggling financially and losing 'arry could be a real blow to them.

Newcastle are Newcastle.

Meanwhile, Villa are slowly and quietly chipping away at the big four. They held onto Barry in the summer, and the likes of Young and Agbonlahor have done well again this year - all three are in contention for starting places in the England team. They've a solid manager in O'Neill, and they've gotten some great results so far. There are question marks over their squad size, but if they can keep the pace until January, there will certainly be money made available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Man City are a dead cert if all the imminent transfers are to be beleived. It worked for Chelsea although took a couple of seasons for them to reap the benefits as it probably will Man City.

• Advertisement

Only Villa this year.

Maybe Citeh next year.

Spurs will bottle it when they get near. Arry will get them close enough to break their hearts again but they wont hit 4th IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Roflham Lolspuds will never achieve anything while Levy is with the club. The guy seems to be doing everything possible to undermine the progress achieved while at the club. Change of management wont have enough of an impact for me, unless he's learned his lesson from Ramos, which i doubt he has tbh.

Newcastle. meh. Again to many destabilizing influences on that club for them to do anything in the medium term methinks. They have a better platform for it imo than Tottenham though.

I think it would most likely be Villa. City probably in the long term, but not too soon i feel. Everton, dunno. not this season. Maybe the next if they can get some serious investment in the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This year Villa, next year Arsenal! :p

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    This year Villa, next year Arsenal! :p

Mike

As much as it hurts. Unless we can get a quality DM in January, agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Frisbee wrote: »
    As much as it hurts. Unless we can get a quality DM in January, agreed
    Arsenal rely heavily on champions league football to balance the books and if they don't spend in january they might not be able to in the summer Wegner is well known not to have as much money to fire about as the others in the top four and loosing players on a free transfer certainly makes it harder for him to replace them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I'd say Man City could make a serious push in the second half of the season, what they really need to buy is a solid centre midfielder who can take the ball forward from Kompany and maybe a top quality striker instead of Benjani/Jo.

And most importantly a left back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'd say Man City could make a serious push in the second half of the season, what they really need to buy is a solid centre midfielder who can take the ball forward from Kompany and maybe a top quality striker instead of Benjani/Jo.

Like Stephen Ireland you mean?

Central midfield is the one position we don't need anyone.
    And most importantly a left back

Left back is certainly not a priority right now given how Garrido has performed in the last month. He has settled in very nicely.

In January I want a striker and a centre half at the very least.

Xavi6 wrote: »

If you buy a striker in January will Sturridge be happy to stay and be a reserve to Jo, Benjani, Robinho, Vassell, Evans?
    I think your ok up front as the more you play Sturridge the better he's going to get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

redout wrote: »
    Man City are a dead cert if all the imminent transfers are to be beleived. It worked for Chelsea although took a couple of seasons for them to reap the benefits as it probably will Man City.

Chelsea broke the top 4 before all the cash rolled in.

If you buy a striker in January will Sturridge be happy to stay and be a reserve to Jo, Benjani, Robinho, Vassell, Evans?
    I think your ok up front as the more you play Sturridge the better he's going to get

The two in bold can go.

Robinho will continue to be a left winger until Petrov is fully fit which will be March at the earliest.

That leaves three strikers under the age of 22 in Jo, Evans and Sturridge. We need someone experienced. Podolski has handed in a transfer request at Bayern so he might be decent.

(Bojinov also to come back but won't be fully fit this season)

The two in bold can go.

Robinho will continue to be a left winger until Petrov is fully fit which will be March at the earliest.

That leaves three strikers under the age of 22 in Jo, Evans and Sturridge. We need someone experienced. Podolski has handed in a transfer request at Bayern so he might be decent.

(Bojinov also to come back but won't be fully fit this season)

I'd say get rid of Vassell aswell but Hughes clearly seems to like him.
    Podolski is only 23 iirc, although yes he does have a fair bit more experience.

Yup, he's 23

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Arsenal rely heavily on champions league football to balance the books

Not 100% true, income from match day is such now that they can afford to miss the cl for a season or so, obviously this is not ideal.

I'd say get rid of Vassell aswell but Hughes clearly seems to like him.
    Podolski is only 23 iirc, although yes he does have a fair bit more experience.

Yup, he's 23

Vassell hasn't played up front in a long time anyway so I would disregard him on the list of strikers.

Podolski has done it at a World Cup and a Euros so age isn't too important with him. Our three lads are simply too raw. Obviously David Villa would be the dream signing, or even Drogba as he knows the 'one up front' role inside out.

Boggles wrote: »
    Chelsea broke the top 4 before all the cash rolled in.

Well ok I suppose you could say that but the three previous seasons they came:

1999/00 5th
    2000/01 5th
    2001/02 6th

So they had not consistantly occupied the top four but as soon as Abramovich and his money arrived they have not come worse than 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

veruca_salt.jpg

• Advertisement

City may have the unlimited cash in Jan, not much good to them if there is no one to sign, the top talent is rare and more or less accounted for, that means paying over the odds for players who want out of there current clubs or want a massive wage, either way I don't think that is ideal for a club who have notions of pushing for CL then titles.

Well the rumours at the moment are that we want to sign Buffon, Kolo Toure and Lassana Diarra with Ben Haim and Onouha leaving.

Well the rumours at the moment are that we want to sign Buffon, Kolo Toure and Lassana Diarra with Ben Haim and Onouha leaving.

Hands off!

redout wrote: »
    Well ok I suppose you could say that but the three previous seasons they came:

1999/00 5th
    2000/01 5th
    2001/02 6th

So they had not consistantly occupied the top four but as soon as Abramovich and his money arrived they have not come worse than 2nd.

Well they were knocking on the door and made it before the money arrived which I think is a huge point, also they were successful in cup competitions for the duration of the prem league at least, City spent 8 years of the prem league not in it and since been promoted in 2002 have finished.

2002/3 9th
    2003/4 16th
    2004/5 8th
    2005/6 15th
    2006/7 14th
    2007/8 8th

I'm sure Xavi will correct me if I'm wrong but they didn't get near to winning any cups.

Hands off!

It's gonna be in tomorrow's papers (The Times and The Mail anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What I want =! what I get

It's gonna be in tomorrow's papers (The Times and The Mail anyway)

How is this the first I've heard of it? Where you hear this?
    (Not saying I don't believe you)

EDIT: Never Mind just looked in the City Thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Aston Villa could do it this year, with some more consitent results against teams below them. Sure 4 points from Arsenal away and Man Utd at home is good, but more loses to the likes of Stoke and Boro could come back to haunt them. That said, this year looks better than others for opportunities, given Arsenals apparent recent inability on the pitch. That said, I'd expect Arsenal to find some vein of form and rack up serious points in the new year.

Tottenham realistically aren't too far behind points-wise, but even if the Redknapp-effect doesn't wear off, Gomes will find some way of throwing away points.

Man City's poor away form will probably cost them, even if they do strengthen in January, which still remains to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Its November 29th and Arsenal had a bunch of first teamers missing. They will find form at some point, with City its too hard to tell until we'll see who they buy in January, perhaps the 2 good results they have had marks a start where they are gelling so to speak? i'm not sure i havent watched a lot of them!.

From a Villa viewpoint its still early days to be talking about 4th, keeping up the consistency over a whole season is difficult, particularly with potential injuries within what is still a limited squad, besides Carew on Saturday there was wasn't anyone else who you felt could make an impact on the bench.

Petrov was missing for several games and results were awful, he's back and and 4 points off Arsenal/MU, his form is brilliant at the moment.

Bouma coming back will plug that tricky LB spot where Shorey is iffy. Consensus appears to be another offensive player is needed at least, an alternative to Big John in particular. Villa have been tabloidy linked with the likes of Owen but the club keep wisht on these things so who knows what MON is planning, wouldnt be surprised if its a Doyle type signing.

• Advertisement

Lads it does not matter if Man City buy Buffon, Fabregas and Kaka come january because they still will not break the top four this season. I would give them a year or two after they make half a dozen quality signings before they threaten and by then they could even be challenging 1st if they buy themselves a whole squad like Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Arsenal might break in and take villas spot but we will see how that turns out:D

Oh i cannot wait to annoy my arsenal mates with that next season!

only1stevo wrote: »
    Oh i cannot wait to annoy my arsenal mates with that next season!

With what :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i dont really mind who breaks into the top 4, would prefer city but dont think we will this year. villa look good at the moment, but i think the league really needs more competition among the top. its awful having 2 separate leagues, and then two separate competitions within that with utd/chelsea pool/arsenal. still think everyone else is a bit behind although arsenal look a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

OPENROAD wrote: »
    With what :confused:

With, do youse think you'll be able to break into the top four this season?

Or do you think youse can make CL this season?

only1stevo wrote: »
    With, do youse think you'll be able to break into the top four this season?

Or do you think youse can make CL this season?

Arsenal have two bad results and people are writing us off, Arsenal will finish top four this season.

As for Wenger leaving, no chance! He has never walked out on a contract and never will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭babymaker6

lol everyone writing off arsenal they will finish 4th at worst and are a fair bet to finish ahead of liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Redknapp took Pompey as far as he could, he knew that there isn't the transfer kitty he would have liked so he has jumped ship for more money. All this crap about the club selling him because they couldn't shift players is bollox, he ran so he could keep his ego intact. soon there will be "sniff sniff, well, they woz bottom when I come ere, and "sniff Sniff" I took em out of the bottom but we are down to the bare bones and sniff sniff, I done a good job for em aint I? sniff twitch". He'll help Spurs out, maybe get them into mid table and that's it. Personally i think this whole thing shows what a bunch of tossers premiership footballers actually are. Redknapp didn;t change anything, he isn't a miracle worker, they just didn't want to play for Ramos for some reason.

anyway, my tip this season would be Villa. Great manager who is slowly building a very good side. If he is given the budget to invest this January I can see a concerted push for CL football.

Man City are too inconsistent and I have never rated Mark Hughes that highly as a manager, he is good, but not great imho.

We are fecked. January will be a massive month for us. If there is the fire sale as reported then we are in trouble sopersonally this year I would be happy with mid table mediocrity. There is a lot of speculation about our players and our financial status, but most of it is coming from Arry's media mates in the incredibly London biased tabloids. Even our local news is all run out of Southampton so they never give us any good press at all.

Like Stephen Ireland you mean?

Central midfield is the one position we don't need anyone.

Stephen Ireland plays an as an attacking midfielder, City need somebody with more class than Gelson and more mobility than Hamann, Johnson is class but is beginning to look very injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

You mean city need a holding midfielder or a roy keane to stop the mistakes before they get to dunne the ever dependable is being forced into mistakes by the sheer volume of attacks that just seem to be able to cut through city's midfield thats not saying city don't have an excellent attacking midfield they do but they just seem to be lacking defensively just my two cents

Stephen Ireland plays an as an attacking midfielder, City need somebody with more class than Gelson and more mobility than Hamann, Johnson is class but is beginning to look very injury prone.

No he doesn't. We play a three man central midfield with one holding (Kompany), one box-to-box (Ireland) and one attacking (Elano/SWP).

Ireland's work is very much split between attacking and defending.

• Advertisement

In fairness he is very good at one and not so good at the other.

At the start of the season I would have agreed with you.
    However having seen several City games this year I have to say that Ireland is actually a very good tackler, and does track back a lot.

No he doesn't. We play a three man central midfield with one holding (Kompany), one box-to-box (Ireland) and one attacking (Elano/SWP).

He definitely plays as an attacking midfielder in the 4-2-3-1 formation with Kompany and Hamann holding and SWP, Robinho and Ireland in behind the striker. Granted he does track back.

:confused: Ireland's defensive work is immense. He wins more tackles cleanly than anyone else. Seriously I watch us every single game and he defends superbly. It's something City fans have really noticed this year amongst the other good work.

He definitely plays as an attacking midfielder in the 4-2-3-1 formation with Kompany and Hamann holding and SWP, Robinho and Ireland in behind the striker.

How can he play in that formation when Kompany and Hamann are rarely ever on the pitch at the same time?

He definitely plays as an attacking midfielder in the 4-2-3-1 formation with Kompany and Hamann holding and SWP, Robinho and Ireland in behind the striker.

I think we've played that formation maybe three times this season. Sunderland and Newcastle away and one other. Hamann has started 3 games in the league out of 14 so it is a rarity that we play with two deep lying midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Surely there is something wrong when SWP is part of a 3 man central midfield?

How can he play in that formation when Kompany and Hamann are rarely ever on the pitch at the same time?

They were at Newcastle anyway, normally Kompany is partner by Gelson, Elano or Johnson in the middle.

JPA wrote: »
    Surely there is something wrong when SWP is part of a 3 man central midfield?

Ha ha well yes that's a very sore point amongst City fans at the moment.

However he was superb there on Sunday and bagged an assist so Hughes has been saved for this week.

They were at Newcastle anyway, normally Kompany is partner by Gelson, Elano or Johnson in the middle.

Johnson and Gelson have started 5 games between them this season so to say 'normally' would be incorrect. Elano plays further forward than Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement