Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

26-32" lcd tv, €250-€300 budget

Options
  • 25-11-2008 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

As per title, looking for the best deal on a 26" to 32" tv which will fall in a budget of €250-€300. HD or any of that isn't really important but the better the deal the better. 26" would be the minimum size, 37" is too big, so say 32" being the max and anything in between is fine too.

I see this 26" with a great review rating here for just under €300: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134821/show_product_reviews?offset=20&review_type=both&review_order_by=RLF

Anything similar or better or any views on the above would be much appreciated :)

EDIT: Just saw this aswell: http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-11-26WLZ5 may be able to get it with a staff discount as I've a friend who works there (anyone know what % they get as a staff discount? :)) would the ebuyer one be far better I wonder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Have also found an Acoustic Solutions LCD26805HD 26" HD Ready LCD TV for about €260 delivered. Any opinions on that? :)
    FEATURES Television Picture QualityHigh Definition Ready.26in (66cm) widescreen TV with 66cm visible screen size.Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.Brightness 500 cd/m2.Contrast 800:1.Viewing angle 160/150 degrees.Progressive scan.Connectivity1 HDMI socket.2 SCART sockets.Component video socket.Composite.Headphone socket.AV socket.Back DC socket.Sound QualityNicam stereo sound.2 x 8w RMS power output.Additional FeaturesTeletext.Fastext.UHF and VHF tuner.Auto setup.Auto search tuner.Auto search sorting.Auto search labelling.Sleep timer.Child lock.NTSC compatible.Remote control requires 2 x AAA batteries (included).230v AC mains operation.Complete with tabletop stand.Size of TV (H)50, (W)70, (D)12.3cm.Size of TV with stand (H)54.5, (W)70, (D)21cm.Weight of TV 14.5kg.Weight of TV with stand 16kg.Suitable for wall mounting (brackets not included).

Also a Wharfdale 26" for about 290 delivered:
    Television Picture Quality High Definition Ready. Integrated digital (freeview). 26in (66cm) widescreen TV with 66cm visible screen size. Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels. Brightness 500 cd/m2. Contrast ratio 800:1. Viewing angle 178/178 degrees. Progressive scan. Connectivity. 3 HDMI sockets. 2 SCART sockets PC Input socket.. Component video socket. Headphone socket. S-video socket. AV socket. Sound Quality Nicam sound. 2w x 8w RMS power output. Digital sound processor. Freeview Features Digitally interactive. Digital text. Digital audio broadcasting (DAB). Digital video broadcasting (DVB) subtitles available. Auto setup. Auto scan for new channels. 7 day electronic programme guide. CI slot. Additional Features Teletext. Fastext. UHF/VHF tuners. Auto setup. Auto search tuner. Auto search sorting. Auto search labelling. Sleep timer. Child lock. Remote control requires 2 x AAA batteries (supplied). 240v AC mains operated. Complete with tabletop stand. Size of TV (H)46.2 (W)66.2 (D)10.0cm. Size of TV with stand (H)50.6, (W)66.2, (D)20cm. Weight of TV 8.3kg Weight of TV and stand 9.8kg Suitable for wall mounting (brackets not supplied).

I haven't a clue about TV's so if anyone with any knowledge can advise I'd really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

First of all go for 32" if you have the space for it. makes a world of difference in my opinion.
    2nd, go for a real brand. That Sense one i have read 4 reviews, 1 complaining about a buzzing noise and the 2nd also sending it back.
    Save some money till you have around 450/500 and buy a decent 32"

Thanks for the feedback but I'm afraid there's no chance of spending that much money on one. It's for my mam and 300 is the absolute max on a tv she has to spend. She wouldn't be too fussy, 26" is fine for her as that's what her now broken tv was and it was fine for her :)

Any ideas on the ones listed above?

In that case, i would go for the Beko even without the discount.
    At least it is pick up in store and in case something is wrong with it, bring back in store.
    Worth the few extra euros.

Have you actually seen any of them playing?

• Advertisement

Nope, all the ones I've mentioned have been online. That's a good point about the Beko alright. Aren't Beko supposed to be the worst of the worst though? Although the same would probably apply too the cheapo models?

You get what you pay for i fear.... with the likes of Beko/Sense

Dont know how much this is today in euro's but....
    Looks nice

Would really be the best choise out of them all.

Those guys (richersounds) have their own subforum here and are great. maybe contact them and see what they can set you up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

Most likely Tesco will have another 25% off deal on TVs (& electrical) before xmas.

If you can wait at all, I'd recommend waiting till after xmas... price drops quite a bit then in the jan sales.

Thanks for the link. A brand I've actually heard of :o Unfortunately 300 is the absolute max. 250 is the desired spend, that one would cost €340 delivered or there abouts which is about 35% more than my mam wants to spend :o

I suppose I don't have a lot of options open to me at this price.

As long as subtitles are legible and it wont break down after a year or 2 my mam would be happy

Cully wrote: »
    Most likely Tesco will have another 25% off deal on TVs (& electrical) before xmas.

If you can wait at all, I'd recommend waiting till after xmas... price drops quite a bit then in the jan sales.

Have their previous 25%'s been back in clubcard points or at the till? Clubcard points would be better as it's 4x the value ;)

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. A brand I've actually heard of :o Unfortunately 300 is the absolute max. 250 is the desired spend, that one would cost €340 delivered or there abouts which is about 35% more than my mam wants to spend :o

I suppose I don't have a lot of options open to me at this price.

As long as subtitles are legible and it wont break down after a year or 2 my mam would be happy

I advise you to contact them via boards. They do special discounts on delivery for boardies at richersounds.

I think it's £20 for boards users, which would give the €340 total :o

Waiting to hear back from a crowd who do refurbished ones in Dublin.

There's a possibility of a Polaroid one too, I've heard of them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

I think it's £20 for boards users, which would give the €340 total :o

Waiting to hear back from a crowd who do refurbished ones in Dublin.

There's a possibility of a Polaroid one too, I've heard of them :)

I've heard bad things about Polaroid, when I was about to buy one of theirs recently. The company pretty much doesn't exist anymore so I assume they just licence the name to one of the aforementioned cheapo manufacturers.

Missed out on the Polaroid, shipping killed the deal, thanks for the warning. What about acoustic solutions or Beko or Sharp?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Missed out on the Polaroid, shipping killed the deal, thanks for the warning. What about acoustic solutions or Beko or Sharp?

Acoustic Solutions = Argos brand. Their stuff is ok for the price

Beko = Their stuff is fairly cheap. Dont know much about them

Sharp = WAY better than the other two. Some of their tvs are quite good really

The Sharp model in particular is LC26ga5e:
    * Product Description: Sharp LC 26GA5E - 26" LCD TV
    * Packaged Quantity: 26GA5E (specifications are for single item)
    * Diagonal Size: 26" - widescreen
    * Dimensions (WxDxH): 66.3 cm x 27.8 cm x 55.6 cm
    * Weight: 12 kg
    * Digital Television Certification: Not certified
    * Resolution: 1366 x 768
    * Display Format: 720p
    * Video Interface: Component, composite, S-Video, SCART
    * PC Interface: VGA (HD-15)
    * Technology: TFT active matrix
    * Tuner Qty: 1
    * Surround Sound Effects: Virtual Dolby Surround
    * Speaker System: 2 speakers
    * Sound Effects: Virtual Dolby Surround
    * Stereo Reception System: NICAM, A2
    * Radio: Radio tuner - FM
    * Remote Control: Remote control - infrared
    * Power: AC 230V ( 50 Hz )

It's ex display model with no comeback if anything goes wrong for about €230

Not sure how it compares to the acoustic solutions above as I haven't a clue about TV's. Will cost about €260

Then the Beko one I can get for €305 is on powercity for €329 but I can get a staff discount, doesn't give any info on it though:(

That Sharp does'nt have hdmi, though. That means its extremely limited going forward. That said, your mam may never need that. I really dont know what to go for. The Acoustic solutions may be better than the sharp because its probably a good bit more modern.

Yeah I know what you mean, The Acoustic Sollutions would only work out about €45 cheaper than the Beko, but if anything went pear shaped, I'd be sending it back to the UK, whereas the Beko can just go back to Power City.

More to the pot:
    2nd hand Samsung, no comeback, may be able to get for under 300, 26"

* Luminosity (in cd/m²): 500 Contrast: 3000:1 Response time: 8ms Resolution: 1366 x 768 Angle of vision: 176/176 Audio: 2 x 5w
    * Connectivity: RF antenna - S-Video input - Video Composite input - 1 PC D-SUB input - Headphone socket - Monitor output Sortie Moniteur
    * Other functions: PiP - Games mode - Function freeze frame

Got a 26" bush in Tesco today with the 25% back offer, worked out at 225 total with a year warranty. It's absolutely fine :) thanks for all the help everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Got a 26" bush in Tesco today with the 25% back offer, worked out at 225 total with a year warranty. It's absolutely fine :) thanks for all the help everyone!

Sounds like a good deal....Was there any good offers on bigger tv maybe 32" or 37"?

there was a 32 philips for about 699-25% (525), unless it was 599, meaning it would have been 450? Could possible have been...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Expert electric sale starts tomorrow Friday and they have a fab looking Philips 32inch for €399 was €599

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Expert electric sale starts tomorrow Friday and they have a fab looking Philips 32inch for €399 was €599

First i've heard of that. Do you know what model that tv is?? 399e is a good price to be fair. Know of any other deals on tvs in that??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,164 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have a 26" beko tv and Im very happy with it, I think its an older model than yours though

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The Sharp model in particular is LC26ga5e:

It's ex display model with no comeback if anything goes wrong for about €230

since you didn't go for this one cormie, where was it? would be interested

Hi again everyone, just coming back to this thread. As quoted above, this is the current TV in the owners house, bought in 2008. I've heard about this thing called saorview and I don't know what it is or what it means, but will the above tv be ok when saorview replaces analogue tv? What if the tv package is provided by UPC? I don't have the exact model number or anything of the tv, but I don't recall it mentioning anything about saorview etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Thanks for the link. So it appears that yes, the analogue service will cease but that a set top box can be purchased to continue to receive tv signal? If somebody is connected with UPC, is any of this necessary I wonder or do UPC have their own box they provide (just basic tv package). I haven't got a clue about TV things in general, I don't even own a tv myself, but this is for somebody else.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

If they have UPC they are fine Cormie.

Advertisement