Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any hope?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I got 3 pups on saturday, 12 week old, adorable little things.

From the beginning one was hanging back a bit, I put it down to shyness. They were all toileting outside, so I didn't notice the fact he had diarrhea until last night. He refused to eat, but was drinking. He also got sick on the floor last night. I put it down to him feeling out of sorts after his vaccinations on saturday morning. I thought, if I kept him hydrated he would be ok.

This morning, I left him to go to work. Like the others, he had come out of his crate, looked to get out the back for the toilet, had a drink and went back to bed. I was so worried, OH said he would call home at 12pm to check on him rather then just have the neighbour call in to feed as arranged.

At 12, OH got home, the other two were bounding around, had a play out the back while OH prepared their lunch. All the while this little guy hid in the crate refusing to come out. OH decided to pull him out to check on him. The pup instantly wee'd himself and started shaking.

My vet is only across the road, OH flew across with him and a few mins later I got a very upsetting call. The poor baby has parvo. As of 7pm he was hanging in there and was looking a little less grey, his gums had become pinker, but he still would barely wake up before rolling back in a ball to sleep. With his shaved leg and drip. :(

I have a few reasons for this post, my first reason, is to say to any dog owners, please, please, if you think ANYTHING is "not quite right" go straight to your vet. So what if it turns out to be nothing. Better that way around than the way its working out here.

If OH had not come back from down the country bcause I had "a bad feeling" I would definately have come home to a dead puppy. The person would have fed them as arranged but would probably not have noticed anything wrong.

I have been told by my vet to keep a very close eye on the other two. They are asleep now, but were full of beans earlier. They were vax'd against parvo on saturday too. What are the chances of them getting away without having it?

Besides bleaching everything the sick puppy touched, is there anything else I can do? Should I avoid visiting houses with old, very young or frail dogs in it?

Any other advice would be appreciated, and any stories of your dog pulling through this virus are badly needed. :(

Should I hold out much hope?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

What a terrible thing to happen. Have known one dog to die of parvo, this was yrs ago in Uk a dog my dad got a little red setter x like u my dad got it vac and it came down with parvo a day or 2 later.
    My friend who is a vet nurse has dealt with this a few times it was actually doing the rounds here in port about 2 yrs ago, she says it is a horible diesese. Apparently u can carry on u, eg ur feet so be careful about were u go. I rang her asked her about the chances of the other 2 pups she says it is 50/50 apparently it can come on really quickly so all u can do is keep an eye out.
    Well done for taking them in first place and well done for what u have done for the poor little thing. Fingers crossed it will pull through and that the other 2 will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Sorry to hear that helena , I googled and found this.
    http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dognz/a/parvodog_2.htm

I will keep my fingers crossed for the little guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

even if they pull through parvo i think there can be long term damage to internal organs. in some cases pts is best option even if they get over the actual parvo.
    could be wrong about that, any one clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

fingers crossed hopefully the little guy will pull through

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

hope things work out ok for the little thing. keep us posted on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Well today he ate a bit for the vet, (ham) he's looking brighter. But not out of danger just yet. Have a lot more hope now than I did this time yesterday.

Whister, yes I have heard that sometimes, even years later, a dog who had parvo can have heart trouble, but I don't know how common and I don't know how common it is to have a parvo dog PTS. My vet didn't even mention it so it's probably not the norm.

The other two seem fine, full of beans still, but I'm walking on eggshells with them. There wasn't a bother on them all day today but any time one coughs or barks or whines I'm worried :o Silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Keeping everything crossed for u all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

My old dog got parvo when she was a young pup. . . things were looking bad and the vet said she would probably die. . . but,she made a full recovery.
    That was over ten years ago and she has sinse passed on.:(
    So,just don't lose hope.Sure your little fella is already getting better.

He's pulled through and is coming home tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

fantastic news :D.. you must be so relieved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

im so happy for you great news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

That's great to hear.:)

He's back and full of life, bashing his bro and sis around. He seemed shy of them when he got back first. Now he's happy as larry and fast asleep sprawled out in his crate.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Fab news and very well done to your OH for rushing the little fella to the vet as quickly as he did *s

Advertisement