Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Perception on Oxfam/Donating

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

You got in there with the reply just as I edited my own message again. Weird, we should have tea and scones or something together, yesterday.

http://www.spscriptorium.com/Season3/E311script.htm

I just googled it tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Do you think that Christian charities withhold aid in favour of bibles? Have you any evidence to back up your claims? I think you best go back to your axe grinding.

Sorry, WHERE did I say they with-hold aid in favor if Bibles..... maybe you should learn to read before making comments like that, & I would like to remind you & everyone else of a fact;

AFRICAN MISSIONS SET UP BY THE CATHOLIC CHURCH TO SPREAD THE WORD OF CATHOLICISM WHILE AIDING THE POOR.

Sound familiar?

I rest my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

To be fair though to one religion anyway, the Catholic church, they did an awful lot of good in Africa with their missions and I've seen it myself. I'm not religious nor am I a fan of the Catholic church in Ireland but I do have to admit they did a lot for some African communities and usually asked very little if anything in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Nehaxak wrote: »
    This has gone on for a long time in places like Haiti where Christian missions, mostly one form of Protestantism or another, or Jehovah's, will ONLY give support, food, sheltering or other such aid to people who convert and actively practice their religion.
    These are not NGO's/charities, they are Christian (fundamentalist?) missions who are somewhat selfish in what they are doing, but they are funded by their own church supporters mostly and not the general public. It also must be said that this does NOT happen with all religious missions but it does indeed happen, to say otherwise is naive or a lie.

I've certainly never heard of such a thing. A quick Google search unearthed nothing much on these alleged practices. This was the only site of interest that listed organisations - and even here there was nothing in the way of substantive evidence. However, if missionaries are withholding vital aid because of a persons beliefs then the practice should be condemned and immediately stopped.

Personally I have no problem with people handing out bibles, nor would I have a problem with Islamic charities handing out the Koran or a strictly atheist charity (if any exist) handing out The God Delusion or some such. As long as this does not exacerbate regional problems and it is done in a responsible manner, then why not?

As for Jehovah's Witnesses, I would be of the opinion that they have departed from some of the most important tenets of Christianity for them to be considered quite apart from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I like how certain charities send cows to Africa, and you only have to
    donate a million euro for a full cow.

I wonder whether we can convince Bothar to wrap up Mary Harney and
    ship her as a gift for some starving third-world people. She'd provide
    enough sustenance for a large African village for many months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Might be selfish, but I never give to an charities that have any more than a 4/5% administration costs, and tend to prefer to give to charities where the money will be spent in ireland.

Whilst I respect countries like india, they are richer than we are, and have more millionaires per head of population than we do, so no money for them. at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

i never donate money to charities. it annoys me how much those chugger folks get paid for guilt tripping people just going about their daily buisiness, and to be honest im completely desenstized to all the ads/
    that said, i drink fair trade coffee and stuff when i can, and donate clothes/books/cds etc to Oxfam regularly. i worked as a volunteer in one of their shops for a long while too. beats giving money, that needs to be spent here!

Advertisement