Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap the television licence

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

jmayo wrote: »
    Well the panic actually alarmed the banks, who then alarmed the poor ould minister, who had to be woken from his snooze, who then actaully decided to get off his ar** and up the bank deposit guarantee from where it was at the EU base, even though we were supposedly one of the richest countries in the EU.
    It was only done at behest of the banks to stop deposits leaving to foreign owend banks. Had they ever thougth of asking for guarantee to be upped before that point ?

But if the Guarantee didn't have to be upped apart from the panic caused by the radio show, then its rather a pointless "victory".
    Yes I know they are home grown. Duncan bloody Stewart et al :mad:
    Does that make them any better or worse than the suff from UK:mad:

I avoid the most of them (makeover, cookery, fix up your house, sell your poxy house), be they imported or otherwise. I confess to taping "Off the Rails" when Morahan was on it so I could watch the "highlights" but they even took that small pleasure away from, the sh/ites.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

CDfm wrote: »
    I will raise another issue - the Beverly Cooper-Flynn case. Factually Charlie Birds news report was incorrect on this and she had never met the guy.
    You should've stood up in court mate
    Also- Questions and answers is not objective -the questions and comments from the audience are from plants. So it is not a free and open or representative discussion.
    Absolute tosh - you have no idea what you're talking about. PLease stop posting garbage
    I agree with you OP, but you're for it for the wrong reasons. The TV "licence" is a means of extracting money from people to fund a television station which they may not watch. I am a vehement opponent of the licence for two reasons:

1. In principle. The government has no business using my money without my permission to fund a TV station. If it cannot survive on advertising revenue, it should go under.

2. I don't watch RTE because it is crap. It is extremely uninteresting, badly run, and rarely has anything worth watching. I might be mollified a bit if it was good and I watched it. As it happens, I rarely watch TV at all and use it only for DVD's and games, and I'm expected to pay 160 euro for this?! My TV is worth maybe 5-10% (19 years old, 12 inch) of that, and over the years the amount the licence has cost has vastly outweighed the cost of even an expensive TV. It is utterly sickening....
    The Tv licence also funds Radio Stations/TG4/the NSO and alot more. See above post
    I've a feeling this has been put back a couple of years due to cutbacks within RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Irish broadcasting is awful...
    Compared to.... what?
    nhughes100 wrote: »
    I do think it's an incredibly unfair system not least since I pay Sky digital to get RTE.
    Agreed. We're paying the service provider, why do we need to pay the broadcaster too?
    But, if you want a state boradcaster, you need to pay them somehow if not then they just become another commercial station with no regulation and suddenly you lose all you sport to Sky.
    Problem is, RTE get the best of both worlds. As a result, private stations in Ireland can't compete.
    Also- Questions and answers is not objective -the questions and comments from the audience are from plants. So it is not a free and open or representative discussion.
    Nonsense - go sit in the audience if you don't believe me. Pretty much anyone can throw in their 2 cents. I'd be very disappointed if Q&A fell by the wayside.
    That much doesnt happen in the country to justify the level of current affairs and news coverage that we have...
    I didn't realise all of our news and current affairs were based solely on Irish events?
    I don't watch RTE because it is crap.
    Compared to?
    I might be mollified a bit if it was good and I watched it. As it happens, I rarely watch TV at all...
    So how do you know RTE is so bad?

I sort of know where you're coming from, but I really don't think RTE is all that bad in comparison to other channels. I used to hold BBC in quite high regard, but they've really let their standards slip.

Generally speaking, TV is of a poor standard these days. But guess what, most people are happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Simon Coveney TD was on Newstalk this morning discussing the problem with people watching TV on their computers, and how they don't currently need a TV license.

He also went on to say that FG are in the middle of a proposal that a TV license levy should be put on everyone so that people will end up paying less than what they currently pay. One flaw here Simon, there are 4 PAYE workers living in my house so I'm fairly certain the one TV license will be cheaper than a levy on the lot of us bud. What a dope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

RTE is a good broadcaster but needs to be more accountable. I suspect like the BBC there is a fair bit of nepotism and a job for life for the right people. Too many old handbags reading the news still. I personally think that the licence fee is outdated and that RTE should really be independent of such funding. It also appears very slow to meet the new technology. DAB radio slow to get full nationwide coverage. Digital TV some way off. Its not really good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I am a long term believer that RTÉ should be entirely privatised with the exception of RTÉ NL which would see the infrastructure kept, expanded and used for other TV and Telecoms applications. RTÉ is rotten to the core and I believe that the TV Licence is unconstitutional as it denys freedom of speech and freedom to access information. It harks of Soivet Control and by privatising RTÉ we could rid ourselves of this left-wing quango and let the market control and dominate. It is a waste of taxpayers money and does not deliver value for money or a good service. Anyone with a Satellite Dish will have access to 20 times better programming and all for free, add in TV3 and C6 and you actually have come competition aswell.

Let RTÉ sink or Swim, who here is happy at Pat the Plank getting €900,000 of the licence fee???? The Eamonn Dunphy show on TV3 was at least half decent and TV3 can now be tolerated thanks to that wonderful invention SKY+ allowing us to Fast Forward the incessent commercials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

djpbarry wrote: »
    Compared to.... what?
    So how do you know RTE is so bad?

Generally speaking, TV is of a poor standard these days. But guess what, most people are happy with it.

Because we can see it and its cringeworthy.

All TV is of a poor standard these days like you say -which must be justification enough to scrap the TV licence fee.

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Anyone with a Satellite Dish will have access to 20 times better programming...
    Such as? I think I receive about 40-50 channels as part of my cable package and the vast majority of them are utter ****e.
    The Eamonn Dunphy show on TV3 was at least half decent...
    Yeah, the half that was filled with commercials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

To elaborate, It was the only provider I had in boarding school for 6 years, so I know very well the quality of its programming. It is poor, relative to stations which broadcast things which interest me (come on, ads during movies?). I also have sky digital (which costs 25 euro a month for me-I watch 2-4 hours of TV a week. This is more expensive than the licence, but I chose to pay this and can cancel at any time; I also get to select which channels I get, and am provided with the service of sky+), so RTE is getting money from me that way too.

It is still the principle and not the content which is the main issue however; it is supported by people who may not watch it. I don't ever watch TG4 or listen to the radio. This is one issue where the US has it right- total privatisation.

• Advertisement

If it was renamed I think it should be something french - like Bolleaux TV

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    RTE is a good broadcaster but needs to be more accountable. I suspect like the BBC there is a fair bit of nepotism and a job for life for the right people. Too many old handbags reading the news still. I personally think that the licence fee is outdated and that RTE should really be independent of such funding. ...

Bit of nepotism ? Dear God where have you been all these years.
    The place is rife with it.

The license fee like or loathe it also goes to things like Lyric, TG4 and RnaG
    Now I will say that some of the programs on TG4 are quiet good, even some of their home grown ones.
    If the license went we would just end up getting primarily British programming (i.e. TV3) which is ok if you think that British Tabloids give good coverage of Irish affairs.
    If we work on what is purely commerically viable then as a small nation we will be left with shag all.
    I am a long term believer that RTÉ should be entirely privatised with the exception of RTÉ NL which would see the infrastructure kept, expanded and used for other TV and Telecoms applications. RTÉ is rotten to the core and I believe that the TV Licence is unconstitutional as it denys freedom of speech and freedom to access information. It harks of Soivet Control and by privatising RTÉ we could rid ourselves of this left-wing quango and let the market control and dominate. It is a waste of taxpayers money and does not deliver value for money or a good service. Anyone with a Satellite Dish will have access to 20 times better programming and all for free, add in TV3 and C6 and you actually have come competition aswell.

Let RTÉ sink or Swim, who here is happy at Pat the Plank getting €900,000 of the licence fee???? The Eamonn Dunphy show on TV3 was at least half decent and TV3 can now be tolerated thanks to that wonderful invention SKY+ allowing us to Fast Forward the incessent commercials.

Oh for fecks sake, RTE is left wing communists is it.
    Oh them crowd in the meeja. You sound like either US Republican or disgruntled FFer :rolleyes:

You argue about RTE and then say that TV3 have produced something half way decent :rolleyes:
    Have you seen the Apprenctice. It is more like the Office PArt II than the Apprenctice.

I don't like a lot of RTE's personalities, particularly the famous well paid eejits shoved out at prime times, or some of the programs.
    But that does mean I want all my broadcasting to be dictated probably by either some rich newpaper owner or a foreign owned and run network.

I don't think we should be without some form of state public broadcaster.
    Perhaps you would rather we had a Fox News Channel which would of course convince us all to vote for a good right wing party of your choice.
    Have you ever had to sit and watch US TV ?

I am not allowed discuss …

Bit of nepotism ? Dear God where have you been all these years.
    The place is rife with it.

The license fee like or loathe it also goes to things like Lyric, TG4 and RnaG
    Now I will say that some of the programs on TG4 are quiet good, even some of their home grown ones.

I don't think we should be without some form of state public broadcaster.

Most Daytime TV is watched by Women and children and the elderly but the general impression is that people are stupid.

And men watch sport!

If you are going to have a public broadcaster filing these needs lets get some focus on it.

As far as I know there have been some good programmes on adult education.But where are the shows covering Irish education sylabus etc.

Have we seen any programmes on how to fill a tax return.Money advice shows.

Do we have any programmes on shopping - like grocery shopping price comparison, phone co price comparison ,any of that -no we dont.

I dont know how many poles live in ireland etc but surely there must be any alternative to Euronews- any chance they could get some omnibus editions of the soaps from those countries subtitled - cmon it was done for Soupy Norman. £Why cant we get news show links thru europe etc.

These feckers are the laziest public broadcasters in the world and get a licence fee for D4 coffee mornings .

They should be paraded on national TV in their underwear or made come up with a public broadcasting plan to justify the licence fee.

We deserve better than this.

Do we have any programmes on shopping - like grocery shopping price comparison, phone co price comparison ,any of that -no we dont.
    I'm pretty sure there's been whole load of consumer advice crap, featuring the likes of Eddie Hobbs?

Most Daytime TV is watched by Women and children and the elderly but the general impression is that people are stupid.

And men watch sport!

If you are going to have a public broadcaster filing these needs lets get some focus on it.

As far as I know there have been some good programmes on adult education.But where are the shows covering Irish education sylabus etc.

I dont know how many poles live in ireland etc but surely there must be any alternative to Euronews- any chance they could get some omnibus editions of the soaps from those countries subtitled - cmon it was done for Soupy Norman. £Why cant we get news show links thru europe etc.

These feckers are the laziest public broadcasters in the world and get a licence fee for D4 coffee mornings .

They should be paraded on national TV in their underwear or made come up with a public broadcasting plan to justify the licence fee.

This is - without doubt - the worst post I have ever read.
    You make no arguements what so ever. You only have you own opinion which you convey as
    the general impression is that people are stupid.
    . Where do you get your facts from? Where is the proof of anything you write?
    Why should there be a show on how to fill a tax return out? Does the afternoon show not do a segment on price comparison?
    Let me get this straight. In one sentence you want to get rid of Euronews and replace it with an omnibus episode of a polish soap opera such as M jak miłość (Name of Love). Then in another sentence you say
    Why cant we get news show links thru europe etc
    . Jebus mate. Get it together. I think you're up a bit late to be posting. Get some sleep and we'll see you in the morning.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 macaroni+cheese

i have never paid the fee, nor been asked. until today I didn't even know the cost. do i feel bad? no. if and when i get caught... i will cough up the dough. and to note: RTE has some of the worst 'talent' / programs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And men watch sport!

And your point is ?

I don't think you will find any tv station just showing how to fil out government forms.
    I thought the idea of public broadcasting was to make and show programs that are of local interest and not be citizen advice centre.
    E.g Nationwide, Ear to the Ground, Ceili House.
    You could say Eddie Knobs show highlighted price comparisons.
    Not good idea having them parade in their underwear, I dread to think what Ryan would turn up wearing :eek:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I guess, no licence fee would mean no Lyric, RNaG or TG4. Can't say i have ever watched or listened to any of these, but they are important stations/channels to keep.

The others radio station RTE do though are just more of what is currently available, so maybe if a lot of these were got rid of or sold off then the licence fee could go towards producing better quulity stuff on what is left. Less is more so to speak.

And your point is ?

I don't think you will find any tv station just showing how to fil out government forms.
    I thought the idea of public broadcasting was to make and show

Are you sure - I have seen somewhere the numbers of people that are functionally illiterate and its stagerering. Much more useful to have Citizens Advice Programs then the drivel thats on.

Now I eat food - and can cook a bit. But the number of times I need to cook for a dinner party. I would need to know what the bbest burgers are and what price.

The odd public information short on sewing on shirt buttons would be useful.

Im just saying RTE as a public broadcaster has outgrown its use.

The idea for a show parading the worst presenter of the week could be very popular -dont knock it.

Are you sure - I have seen somewhere the numbers of people that are functionally illiterate and its stagerering. Much more useful to have Citizens Advice Programs then the drivel thats on.

Now I eat food - and can cook a bit. But the number of times I need to cook for a dinner party. I would need to know what the bbest burgers are and what price.

Im just saying RTE as a public broadcaster has outgrown its use.

The idea for a show parading the worst presenter of the week could be very popular -dont knock it.

Dude, seriously. Stop posting. You're making a twat of yourself. This is the politics forum - not AH.
    Again this sentence makes absolutly no sense.
    I have seen somewhere the numbers of people that are functionally illiterate and its stagerering
    Me thinks you could be one of these.....

• Advertisement

Newbie - somethings got yer goat.

I havent dismissed the Queen of the crop of RTE personalities Grainne Seoige.

Grainne Seoige is from Galway direction and her name in English is Joyce.

I have often wondered has she any connection with the other famous broadcaster William Joyce who also hails from those parts. He was better known as Lord Haw Haw.

We deserve answers.

I would need to know what the bbest burgers are and what price.

If RTE were to begin producing programmes of that calibre, I think we can safely say that opposition to the license fee would skyrocket.

djpbarry wrote: »
    If RTE were to begin producing programmes of that calibre, I think we can safely say that opposition to the license fee would skyrocket.
    So you mean that improving the quality of programming and focusing on skills such as assisting the less fortunate or literate is not a worthwhile objective.

From your previous posts I thought you felt that any initiative to improve the functional literacy of the less fortunate in our society was a laudable aim.

From your previous posts I thought you felt that any initiative to improve the functional literacy of the less fortunate in our society was a laudable aim.
    And how exactly will comparing burger prices while sewing buttons on shirts achieve that?

But I am - I am all for self help. Why should a small minority of people get to listen to Lyric FM who are educated and are well able to afford CDs of classical music get it.

Remember this is a democracy - and the education enjoyed by those fortunate few who like classical music was probably funded by the taxes of the very same estimated 25% of the population who have literacy problems. http://www.nala.ie/index.cfm/section/page/ext/Literacy_in_Ireland/

From NALA's website:
    After receiving over 7,000 calls to its freephone support line, the National Adult Literacy Agency (NALA) and An Post are today calling for volunteers to become literacy tutors. The increase in adults participating in literacy courses comes a year after An Post sponsored and launched a major TV, radio and cinema public awareness campaign called ‘Take the first step’. Currently there are 45,000 people attending VEC adult literacy services, a 10% increase on the previous 12 month period.

Its important for people to be able to fill out their lotto slips, read the horseracing tipsters and check-in for Ryanair on the internet. Maybe even Lyric FM listeners would benefit from this.

I myself would watch a program on caring for a retired greyhound- when was the last tim,e you have seen accessable petcare programs.

So if there is to be public broadcasting let it benefit the public- the real public.

Am I clear in what your position is - that as an objective for Public Broadcasting in Ireland as a public broadcasting network RTE should not apply resourses for the benefit of the greatest number of its people as opposed to providing specialist programming for a small minority.

A very real public need is literacy and easy ways to achieve this for the largest number of people.

So you would say that RTE is perfect as a public service broadcaster and that its programming is spot on.

• Advertisement

I picked on one area where I think a public broadcaster could make a real difference- in a country with literacy problems -the definition of a public broadcaster is far different to whats being delivered in return for the licencing fee.

That would be a great idea to bring the like of Paddy Power or Ben Dunne or Michael o'Leary into it because at least at the end of the day you would have a clear model of what a public broadcaster would be.

You sound like a smart fella - you named a blast of dross - well make a swu7ggestion.

Advertisement