Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap the television licence

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This post has been deleted.

Oh, I agree that it isn't expensive. I just don't like flat taxes in general due to their regressive nature. A tax is just a regressive if it costs 1 cent a week as if it costs 100 euro a week. A percentage tax on earnings is a far better option than a flat fee licence. We can distribute the cost more fairly across the different income levels etc. They make a good effort to reduce the regressive nature of the licence by giving it free to pensioners et al but I'd still favour a levy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

well i have another theory.see the amount of current affairs broadcasting in ireland well - its free advertising for politicians and interest groups and is disproportionate to the size of the country. i can see why any change in broadcasting ethos would affect politicians.

so its not really the cost of the licence its the value of the service and the banality of the programing. Young Irish broadcasters are like primary schoolteachers. We are developing another crop of cringeworthy embarassing Alan Partridge Clones.

now a TV licence is not like motor car tax or tax for an essential service such as rubbish collection. Its not like PBS shouldnt be provided - its giving RTE cultural budget and control of a service it doesnt provide and a dominant market position it has abused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I have seen an unbelievable amount of nonsense put about on this thread. First off that Questions and Answers is open to all and gives a fair picture. Tonight I watched it and there was a 100% vote against ryanair buying Aer Lingus. There are few places you see 100% in favour of anything. Iraq under Hussein, Zimbabwe under Mugabe, and possible Germany under Hitler. There was not one argument in favour of the buy out of Aer Lingus. Maybe it was just bad luck but I doubt it.

Someone else said most TV viewers are happy with TV. I doubt that. People watch whatever tv is available to them because thats what is available. Few people are happy with it. Internet television has been talked about for years. No ads, video on demand, choose what I want to watch when I want. It has not materialised - yet. We are getting close. Sky+ and the BT Vision Service(the latter not available in the republic) have gotten us close to the holy grail of Television watching, but not there yet. Why not? The whole "No Ads" thing for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,279 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

CDfm wrote: »
    RTE is not commited to public broadcasting.Why keep up the pretence that it is?
    Indeed. When I think public broadcasting, I think PBS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

That's odd. I had a visit from a designated inspector for people with no TV and he didn't look upstairs or anything.

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Like boogey men really....

• Advertisement

Like boogey men really....
    do the class a pc as telivision equipment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I think so. He is the regional inspector and takes you off the list. I am on a no TV register now.

I think so. He is the regional inspector and takes you off the list. I am on a no TV register now.

Maybe you have yer own special register.

Or maybe TV inspectors will prank one another in a Father Ted way sending them to your house on April 1st.

Advertisement