Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota IQ

Options
  • 25-11-2008 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Any idea when the Toyota IQ will be available in Ireland? Seems to be getting good reviews in the motoring magazines. Plusher than the Smart Car albeit at the same price as a Yaris. Handy for tight parking spaces for urban dwellers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

thejuggler wrote: »
    Any idea when the Toyota IQ will be available in Ireland? Seems to be getting good reviews in the motoring magazines.

The only review I've read was in CAR magazine, who said it's a toy for city driving only, far too dear, and not any better than an Aygo.

It does include a number of innovations that will make it into more serious models later.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 louise santry

Zube wrote: »
    The only review I've read was in CAR magazine, who said it's a toy for city driving only, far too dear, and not any better than an Aygo.

It does include a number of innovations that will make it into more serious models later.

Loads of press reviews raving about the iQ! I cant wait to have a go - looks fantastic - and for a change doesnt look like a lame update of a previous model!
    Cant compare it to Aygo - just cos its a small car doesnt mean it has to be a tin can. Dont knock it till you driven it!
    Think its due in Ireland at the end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

It looks pretty innovative and funky but it is far far too expensive. It really is a toy. Thought it would be clever, cheap and take the market by storm by offering a decent car at budget prices. Not to be however, its a chic city car instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

How much is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The decent car, budget price cross is borne by the Aygo, this is aimed at Mini driving 17 year olds, and petential Fiat 500 drivers.

Given UK prices, I'd expect it to be about €600-€800 cheaper than the Yaris.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I'd say 80% of the reviews I've read have been less than lukewarm.

New Car gave it a rave review, and slated the new Ka.

"It's the car the Smart ForFour should have been and we simply love it"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

ninty9er wrote: »
    New Car gave it a rave review, and slated the new Ka.

"It's the car the Smart ForFour should have been and we simply love it"

I wouldn't pay too much attention to those numpties (although the new Ka does seem boring and pointless next to the funky new Fiesta).

I read the CAR article, seemed right on the money (big fan of that mag, particularly Gavin Green). Nothing overly innovative about it - it's a recession-friendly fashion victims car.
    Cant compare it to Aygo - just cos its a small car doesnt mean it has to be a tin can. Dont knock it till you driven it!
    Think its due in Ireland at the end of this month.

The Aygo may not be as stylish but in what way is the iQ less of a 'tin can':confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

pburns wrote: »

The Aygo may not be as stylish but in what way is the iQ less of a 'tin can':confused:

Its probably more of a plastic can tbh

Aygo is aimed at cheap entry car level (ie tin can). It doesnt pretend to be anything else (no more than the other 2 triplets- peugot & citreon). There are plenty of cheap cars (both in price ahend quality) on the road already. I havent driven an iQ yet (can't wait) but I expect that it will be a much better drive on the open road and well able for driving out of the city aswell. Its a premium small car.

• Advertisement

VolvoMan wrote: »

Irish Times and Sunday Indo raved about it...
    It will only appeal to a small number of people but small cars always will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

VolvoMan wrote: »

What Car? gave it only 2 out of 5 stars.

Autocar weren't too keen on it either IIRC.

OT but the new Avensis has been absolutely slated in the English press.

The only mag that liked it at all was What Car? funnily enough.

The Irish press seem to like the iQ, but the Irish press love any new car.

They have criticised the Ka a fair amount, which I interpret them as wanting to say it is an absolute heap of rubbish, because I have never seen a car criticised as much by the Irish journalists as much as the Ka has.

The Ka has gotten a lukewarm reception in the UK too let it be said.

E92 wrote: »
    It's a heavier, rebadged Fiat 500.

Given it's size in the Ford spectacular that was Quantum of Solace, I'm not surprised it struggles at anything other than going down a hill of it's undepinned by a 500.

The UK press doesn't like the Avensis because it's not available as a hatch. It's on sale in the UK since Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

ninty9er wrote: »
    The UK press doesn't like the Avensis because it's not available as a hatch. It's on sale in the UK since Thursday.

If you read the UK press reviews you'd find that the lack of a hatchback option is the least of their worries.

The Passat, Accord, and even the Citroen C5 don't have a hatchback option and the UK press like these cars very much, so why don't they like the Avensis?

Do you work for Toyota Ireland's marketing department :)? Lots of promo/justification for the iQ going on there!

Seriously though, I wouldn't take what the Irish press say about any car seriously. The journos here are much more likely to praise any car here than the Brits are. The Brits aren't afraid to say a car is sh!te, if an Irish journo says a car is only "good" then that really means the car is utterly rubbish.

The Irish Times recently gave the soon to be retired outgoing Avensis a 5 star rating ffs!

If you read the UK press reviews you'd find that the lack of a hatchback option is the least of their worries.

The Passat, Accord, and even the Citroen C5 don't have a hatchback option and the UK press like these cars very much, so why don't they like the Avensis?

Apologies...I assumed...I rarely take any notice of anything that comes out of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Saw one fresh off the boat in work the other day. Looks good, have to say

The Irish press seem to like the iQ, but the Irish press love any new car.

They have criticised the Ka a fair amount, which I interpret them as wanting to say it is an absolute heap of rubbish, because I have never seen a car criticised as much by the Irish journalists as much as the Ka has.

Ford's press pack 'hospitality' gifts on the Ka launch must have been as measely as Toyotas was generous...

In fairness the Ka is a disappointment next to the old model, the new Fiesta and particularly the 500.
    There are plenty of cheap cars (both in price ahend quality) on the road already. I havent driven an iQ yet (can't wait) but I expect that it will be a much better drive on the open road and well able for driving out of the city aswell. Its a premium small car.

Mmmm...does the iQ have a bespoke platform or is it based on a Yaris? I guess it's Toyota's version of the 500 (with the Panda equating to a Yaris) except with a modernist rather than retro twist. Cynical as the 500 might be it would be more my bag...

The journalists who write in the motoring section of Irish newspapers are vastly ill-informed. The same goes for New Car Magazine and every other Irish motoring journal. They are all utter garbage.

In fact, I was reading that Christmas motoring supplement that the Irish Times did featuring every new car and which are the class leaders. They rated the soon to be replaced Avensis at the top of the class, ahead of the likes of the Ford Mondeo, Mazda 6, etc......:rolleyes:

Mmmm...does the iQ have a bespoke platform or is it based on a Yaris? I guess it's Toyota's version of the 500 (with the Panda equating to a Yaris) except with a modernist rather than retro twist. Cynical as the 500 might be it would be more my bag...

iQ is bespoke, hence the ranting and raving about the innovations in space saving and fresh design technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I spoke to Meehans Garage in Dundalk this morning who said they will have 8 of them on Monday morning-ish of next week.

• Advertisement

I don't think Toyota will be able to pull it off selling the iQ at such a premium price. It's two rivals, the MINI and FIAT 500, have a long and fondly remembered history behind them. They are also more stylish cars than the Toyota, and are higher quality. The iQ has neither of these traits and brings nothing really new to the sector, it's packaging is hardly what you'd call ingenious.

I think the iQ should have been pitched as a modern day original Mini. It should've been one of those mass market cars that is all things to all people, at a budget price. It just doesn't have the badge, image or style to compete in the sector that the above compete in imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

think you're missing the point VolvoMan, Toyota already have 2 mainstream small cars, the Aygo and Yaris, the former being more of a successor to the original mini, cheap, simple etc. Till you've sat into one, it'd be hard to tell how well packaged it is. I can't wait to see how it'll be like, you can only tell so much from photos.

The new mini and Beetle weren't conceived to be actual successors to the originals. why should the iq be a basic runaround just because that's what you reckon it should be.

Apple didn't exactly have a sexy image, but the ipod changed that, I think it's a bit misguided to presume that people wouldn't buy an iq because it has a Toyota badge. Look how successful the Smart was, what heritage did that have?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    think you're missing the point VolvoMan, Toyota already have 2 mainstream small cars, the Aygo and Yaris, the former being more of a successor to the original mini, cheap, simple etc. Till you've sat into one, it'd be hard to tell how well packaged it is. I can't wait to see how it'll be like, you can only tell so much from photos.

I thought that alright, but maybe this could've been a car to eventually replace the Aygo and be a modern day successor to the original MINI.

As I said in the post above, it isn't a high enough quality a product to compete with what's out there. The interior is is made from horrible, cheap plastic and the exterior is just too tall and ordinary looking. It actually kind of looks like a 3 door Daihatsu Terios (if there was one).

have you seen the plastics in the mini?

I dunno, I'll wait till I see it in the flesh, from the Hi res photos I've seen it looks good, but it's hard to say. Obviously if you like the acres of black rubberised plastic that VW are so fond of, this won't be for you - each to their own. I can't see how you can comment on the quality or spaciousness of something you've never used.

Aygo's only just over 3 years old, a long way from retirement.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Aygo's only just over 3 years old, a long way from retirement.

Not by Japanese standards.

most Japanese cars have a 6 year cycle.

Do you work for Toyota Ireland's marketing department :)? Lots of promo/justification for the iQ going on there!

quote]

No - but i do work in marketing!
    I just think its nice to see something completely different coming down the road (excuse the pun!).

No - but i do work in marketing!
    I just think its nice to see something completely different coming down the road (excuse the pun!).

I dunno if working in marketing should make you more susceptible or more immune to hype! No offence but you do come across as image-led.

Fact is the only ones who have given the iQ 'rave' reviews are the Irish press. TBH I think they are a bit partisan to Toyota products (like the IT deeming the tired old Avensis a 'best buy':rolleyes:))

Regarding the innovations in design/space-saving techniques - why couldn't Toyota incorporate these ideas into a more mainstream product instead of the rebadged Peugeot/Citroen clone that is the Aygo? Besides which all the 'innovations' the iQ has been cited for just lead to compromises outside of the city centre and surrounding suburbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

I am considering buying one of these. I sat in one last year in Paris. Leather interior, modern styling -not nearly as pretty as the fiat 500. The back seats are only suitable for young kids- I have two!

It is a pure city car and I have a big old yoke for long distances.

I was considering a fiat 500 (same price) but this seems to be a more practical choice. Fiat residuals are always going to be worse than a toyota. Reliability is worse. The toyota is 20% more fuel efficient. It's 2 feet shorter. The reviews say that it handles better than the fiat 500.

I had a yaris (zero problems) and apparently the iq has the same jerky brakes. :-(

The yaris is more spacious and has an extra seat for the same money but I used that fifth seat maybe only once a year and the iq is much better specced (eg 9 airbags plus stability and traction control).

Good review from honest john

There's my logic anyhow.

• Advertisement

TBH I think they are a bit partisan to Toyota products (like the IT deeming the tired old Avensis a 'best buy':rolleyes:))

The IT Motors section is for the ordinary Joe and Jo Soap. THEY are more likely to want an old Avensis with 9 Airbags and a reliability rep that handles like cheese, than a super fast diesel Mondeo that handles like a F2 car.

The majority of Irish car buyers couldn't care less about the feedback from the front wheels or the planted feel the car has. The only obstacle in the iQs way is price, but I'd still have one over a MINI ONE.

Advertisement