Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Auctions - Advice

Options
  • 25-11-2008 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I've decided to send my car to Auction. Can anyone advise as to what my reserve should be its an 04 318 SE Coupe and has anyone any tips on selling thro an Auction (do's and don'ts I should follow). All advice is greatly appreciated,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

vase-main_Full.jpg

Be prepared to take a serious hit !
    Are you in the market for another car ? Have you tried *dare I say it * a trade in ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭colorc

Not in the market for another car - so can't do a trade in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

colorc wrote: »
    Not in the market for another car - so can't do a trade in!!
    Do you have it advertised privately? If so how much and link to ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I've decided to send my car to Auction. Can anyone advise as to what my reserve should be its an 04 318 SE Coupe and has anyone any tips on selling thro an Auction (do's and don'ts I should follow). All advice is greatly appreciated,
    Thanks

IMO your car will only go for about 12k at auction (Merlin) if its mileage is below 80k and it has good options. I was there 2wks ago and thats what they were going for. I'm pretty sure that if you put it in carzone for a little bit more (14k) it would sell.

Selling at auctions is a last resort in my view.

Yeah its advertised privately - heres the link http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2565788

Has anyone been to an auction recently where a 318 coupe was sold??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

you should only put through an auction if you are completely broke.
    expect to be offered about 50 to 60% of it's value.
    people who buy there are looking for a car for nothing.
    was at a property auction recently and a 3 bed in clonee was getting bids up to 175k.
    dont do it....

Yeah its advertised privately - heres the link http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2565788

Has anyone been to an auction recently where a 318 coupe was sold??

If i was you i'd drop it to 14k to sell with no offers and take better pics - 6 outside and 2-3 inside. Its a nice car with low miles but a little short on options. As an idea put park assist in the title line of the ad - it might attract more female attention i.e.

'BMW 318 Ci SE 2L Park assist.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

just a crit, im looking for a similar car currently and i find im all about the pictures, your not really showing this car well, whats wrong afew extra pictures, one from the front, the back, the rear seats etc etc? to be honest there are so many cars out there like yours, i wouldnt waste my time going to see it if i cant get a good idea of the car from the pictures.

i could be wrong but is that damage up at the driver side wing panel? might just be a reflection?!

cbg only allow 3 pics when you have an add with them in their magazine. THere is no panel damage to it what so ever it is an extremely clean car I have other pics that I can forward on if you wish.

cbg only allow 3 pics when you have an add with them in their magazine. THere is no panel damage to it what so ever it is an extremely clean car I have other pics that I can forward on if you wish.

Well then your exterior pic is crap. Take it from a lower angle and from the front quarter of the car. The 2nd pic of the service book is unnecessary, replace it with a 2nd exterior pic from the rear quarter. Interior pic should be from outside the car with the door open. When taking exterior pics park the car so that the background is neutral, makes the (good) colour stand out. A white wall is best.

Put in your ad to email for further pics and details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Some of the bigger auctions will actually help you set a reserve on your car - they will tell you what a car similar to yours is getting and you can then ask for more or agree a different figure. Merlin might be the best one imo, There is a €90 entry fee, if your car sells for less than €5000 there is a sellers fee of €500 + VAT, if it sells for more than €5000 there is a sellers fee of 5% + VAT.

I'd agree with other posters here, it really is a last resort.
    I was over there last Wed night - a 03 318 ES saloon went for just over €7000. Closest thing to yours that was sold, but it gives an indication of price. Might be lucky to get 9k for it.

Thanks for all the advice but I've had all this done before up on carzone for a few months and not 1 call so thats the reason I'm sending it to auction...
    Any advice on selling thro auction I should be aware of?

Some of the bigger auctions will actually help you set a reserve on your car - they will tell you what a car similar to yours is getting and you can then ask for more or agree a different figure. Merlin might be the best one imo, There is a €90 entry fee, if your car sells for less than €5000 there is a sellers fee of €500 + VAT, if it sells for more than €5000 there is a sellers fee of 5% + VAT.

I'd agree with other posters here, it really is a last resort.
    I was over there last Wed night - a 03 318 ES saloon went for just over €7000. Closest thing to yours that was sold, but it gives an indication of price. Might be lucky to get 9k for it.

Thanks Drummerboy - I'll give Them a call today - Its a last resort I know and its a shame to be putting it thro auction but I have to sell it due to personal circumstances!

Thanks for all the advice but I've had all this done before up on carzone for a few months and not 1 call so thats the reason I'm sending it to auction...

Thats because your ad is not the best and your price is too high, make it the cheapest there and it will sell - no doubt. You will defo sell it for a good bit more that you will get at auction - without having to pay for the privalege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Ferris wrote: »
    Thats because your ad is not the best and your price is too high, make it the cheapest there and it will sell - no doubt. You will defo sell it for a good bit more that you will get at auction - without having to pay for the privalege.

I have to agree with this too. Put it up on carzone at a relatively good price, leave it until January and see if you sell it. I'd would also advise getting up some good quality pics of the car - if i seen an ad with bad photos, i wouldnt bother with it.

See where you are in January before selling it at auction.

I've had it up on carzone up until last week with excellant pictures and its just not selling that is the reason I am going to Auction. Its been priced consistently as one of the cheapest over the course of a few months and still no calls. It just seems to me that nobody is really buying out there and if I wait till Jan there will be a new flood of cars on the market to compete with. I just want to liquidate now hence the reason I'm going to Auction

Advertisement