Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas fire - removing chimney

Options
  • 25-11-2008 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello,
    I'd like to convert my attic but the chimney breast is in the middle of the house and goes right up the middle of the attic.

I have a gas fire and I think I should remove the chimney breast (at least in the attic). Is this feasible / prohibitively messy? I'd have to remove the actual chimney (pots) too. Would this look weird for a row of semi-d houses?

The second thing is: with no chimney: I could either take out the fire completely or perhaps convert to a flueless gas fire - is this possible?

help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I assume you have had an engineer around to determine whether the chimney is a structural support to either to the house or the roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭willbur

if you can take photos of your attic i would be able to advise a cost effective way of doing the job , pm me if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I heard of someone not being able to complete the sale of their house last year because the fireplace and chimney had been removed.
    I don't know the details or legal position.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭iwudluvit

JamesM wrote: »
    I heard of someone not being able to complete the sale of their house last year because the fireplace and chimney had been removed.
    I don't know the details or legal position.
    Jim.
    er, thanks then for that.

Advertisement