Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website app - Form filling out

Options
  • 25-11-2008 11:21am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    I am doing a web app for a company and there are 2 screens with "forms" to be filled out, what was once 2 A4 pages to be filled out is now converted to the web but for ease of use they want to continue with the flow on the pages so it will be one long scroll if you were to take it page after page.

Now I suggested tabs, but because the old stock in the company who fill these out "dont like to much change" they are opposing this suggestion.

So has anyone any other suggestions how it could be done, is there any sites out there similar which I could view to get a look and feel and to see how it flows.

I am not of the wording of what I am looking for even for googling :)

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

if it's an internal web app, let them have their cake. no point adding to your work load to try and help them when they can't even help themselves.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Do you think ya, to me it looks kak, the scroll time will be about 10 seconds from top to bottom.

Would you be suprised to know its a government agency who dont want the change!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Internal site, on MS Platform, do the whole thing in InfoPath :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ginger wrote: »
    Internal site, on MS Platform, do the whole thing in InfoPath :)

LOL, ummm think might pass on that suggestion.

What is the platform?

• Advertisement

ASP.NET with SQL backend. There is more to it that just few forms (long winded), there are links to external systems and departments.

Hmm

Did something similar and I broke it into logical parts, just had a wizard look and feel. Users liked it, because it told them how much was left eg step 3 of 4..

Just demo it as that, it will catch on..

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

I had a similar problem once and ended up going with tabs after doing some research. But initially i was hoping to split it up into a number of forms on a single page with little minimize/maximize buttons to display each form.

Might be something to look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Ditto what Ginger said. I'd go with the with wizard control if you're using VS 2005 or later. Give them a list of pros outweighing the cons of going with a wizard approach.

Wizard control ain't SEO freindly though.

If its external its different.. if its an internal you can fairly much do what you like.

External, you need to make sure its "findable!"

• Advertisement

Its internal to the crowd I am doing it for, I am not internal to them :)

I like that wizard thingy or even side tabs. I will have to do up a bit of a prototype and show it, all they can say is no, and believe me they love that word lol

Thanks for your help folks

Ginger wrote: »
    If its external its different.. if its an internal you can fairly much do what you like.

External, you need to make sure its "findable!"

Sorry Ginger, what do you mean by "findable"?

Quick thing for the demo..

Show it on different screen sizes if you can.. if there was ever a persuader its the visual having to scroll when its on a "regular" screen demo!

yop wrote: »
    Sorry Ginger, what do you mean by "findable"?

Search Engine has to be able to index it..

Will do. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You could always include a save feature on the wizard. So if you have 5 steps it could be:
    1. Monday: do step 1, save, go home
    2. Tuesday: do step 2, save, go home
    3. Wednesday: do step 3, save, go home
    4. Thursday: do step 4, save, go home
    5. Friday: do step 5 quickly, submit form, and then f*ck off home early

That's the kind of language the civil service will understand. :pac:

And if you have a chance mention that fair benchmarking would mean that their salaries would drop in parallel to the private sector, the b*stards.

Evil Phil wrote: »
    You could always include a save feature on the wizard. So if you have 5 steps it could be:
    1. Monday: do step 1, save, go home
    2. Tuesday: do step 2, save, go home
    3. Wednesday: do step 3, save, go home
    4. Thursday: do step 4, save, go home
    5. Friday: do step 5 quickly, submit form, and then f*ck off home early

That's the kind of language the civil service will understand. :pac:

And if you have a chance mention that fair benchmarking would mean that their salaries would drop in parallel to the private sector, the b*stards.

Stop you wil have them marching on boards.ie head quarters!!! :)

Dont fkn start me on benchmarking, they dont realise the life they have, I havent seen a rex of money in 9 weeks, and them shower are given out about increases!!!! :mad:

Off topic rant over ;)

Advertisement