Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Profiles?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Is there a way that you can make your profile private like lets say on Bebo.

Rgds

Will
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You can restrict your visitor message page to friends and mods in options.

I don't think you can restrict your 'about me' or 'contact details' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

SteveC wrote: »
    You can restrict your visitor message page to friends and mods in options.

I don't think you can restrict your 'about me' or 'contact details' though.
    I would like the ability to restrict the viewing of my posts etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Not unless you can get everyone to put you on ignore then.:D

Why would you want to do that in a public forum anyway? It kinda defeats the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is not possible.

Every post you make is public. If you don't want people to see your posts, then don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Cruijff wrote: »

Use spoiler tags.
    You can't read this! muhahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Then post on facebook. It dinna work like that here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

:confused:
    But... you post in order for people to read them...

Do you mean older posts or something?

Dudess wrote: »
    :confused:
    But... you post in order for people to read them...

Do you mean older posts or something?
    Yes thats exactly what I am on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

em...why?

If people randomly removed access to individual or old posts in threads, the other posts would probably stop making sense* when you cant see what else has been said.

*not that many make sense in the first place, but you get what I mean.

• Advertisement

Yes thats exactly what I am on about.

If there is a specific old post of yours that is cause for concern (e.g. contains some private details or something) then PM a mod of the forum and ask them to delete it.

em...why?
    Ok all let me explain.

What I am asking is , lets say I look up Dudess's Profile, and I can see all the posts she has made. But, if she decides to make her profile private that means I can no longer sift through all the posts Dudess has made unless I am a friend.

You can still view Dudess's posts in threads but cant see them indexed via her profile page.

Hope this makes sense.

Dudess was only used as an example also.

Nope not in particular.

Ok all let me explain.

What I am asking is , lets say I look up Dudess's Profile, and I can see all the posts she has made. But, if she decides to make her profile private that means I can no longer sift through all the posts Dudess has made unless I am a friend.

You can still view Dudess's posts in threads but cant see them indexed via her profile page.

Hope this makes sense.

Ah. That makes sense. It still wouldnt stop a determined stalker though. Theyd just nab your posts via google.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ok all let me explain.

Hope this makes sense.

When explained like that its actually a good idea.

The profile search is just a link into boards search engine though. e.g. I can search for all posts made by you without going near your profile (or using the link in your username).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

The profile search is just a link into boards search engine though. e.g. I can search for all posts made by you without going near your profile (or using the link in your username).

Good point.

Yes but that would be very stalkerish!

Yes and Im sure it happens ALL the time. :)

The thing with boards is, if you dont want something read by anyone who wants to, its best not to post it. Because everything here is public, whether its simple to find, or not.

I frequently do it if I need to reference something someone posted but can't remember where. I think you're maybe being a tad paranoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

It amounts to pretty much the same thing though. Whether you go to someone's profile and click on "Find all posts by..." or go to the search function and search by username, you get exactly the same results.

boards.ie is really different to the likes of Facebook/bebo from this point of view. I find that when posting on boards, its a good idea to always bear in mind that "anyone anywhere will be able to read this at any time and its very possible they know who I am in real life". Being anonymous on the internet is a lot more difficult than people think.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Paranoid is a strong word, but I agree with SteveC. I can't understand why such a restriction would be necessary.

If somebody was actually stalking you it would be a matter for the authorities, and probably above the remit of moderators, etc.

I am just paranoid I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If there is a specific old post of yours that is cause for concern (e.g. contains some private details or something) then PM a mod of the forum and ask them to delete it.
    This is your answer.
    I've deleted lots of old posts for people.
    Most mods would have no problem doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I am just paranoid I guess.

Well the search can only show your last 500 posts. I know its a lot, but only about a tenth of your total posts.

(or is there a way of searching for more anyone?)

All your posts have already been made public via a project that Cloud was working on with one of the universities.

That sounds like a joke, but it's not. Yes, when you look at your own posts from five years ago, you sound like a plonker, but then anyone who goes and reads them and uses them against you is a plonker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You posted something incriminating when you were drunk and now your girlfriend is reading through your posts?

lawl, welcome to the internetz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

seamus wrote: »
    All your posts have already been made public via a project that Cloud was working on with one of the universities.

That sounds like a joke, but it's not. Yes, when you look at your own posts from five years ago, you sound like a plonker, but then anyone who goes and reads them and uses them against you is a plonker too.

Did you post plonkerish posts in July of 2001 ? :pac:

Hell yeah :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

But did you have the same username ? Because once you change a username as far as I know you then can't search for that old username's posts.

Advertisement