Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this the stupidest idea ever?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.commutercars.com/

Is it just me, or is this a crazy idea? Why not just buy a motorbike?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

"With over 1,000 ft-lbs. of torque, the Tango can accelerate from zero to over 130 mph in one gear. Without needing an energy-robbing transmission or differential, it accelerates from zero to 60 mph in about 4 seconds and finishes the standing 1/4 mile in about 12 seconds at over 100 mph"

Could be fun away from the lights though:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I dunno, I have to say I wouldn't mind a go in one! Being weatherproof is a big plus over a motorbike too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

AudiChris wrote: »
    http://www.commutercars.com/

Is it just me, or is this a crazy idea? Why not just buy a motorbike?

Eh 0-60 in 4s and 12s 1/4 mile - its nearly as quick as a bike, and you stay dry. Why not as a 2nd car, 90% of the time i'm on my own in the car. Wouldn't like to crash one however.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You might laugh now, but with cars like the Tata Nano, the BMW Isetta (Due for a comeback), and even the little Peel cars from the 60's, this type of thing could become more popular.

Why not buy a bike? Because 4 wheels are more stable than 2, and not everyone can handle 2 wheels properly. Also, because you've a roof over your head for the wonderfully clement Irish weather, and probably because it has a radio on board too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭lottodrink

haha thats gas I want one:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

The California green hippies will love this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

EPM wrote: »
    "With over 1,000 ft-lbs. of torque, the Tango can accelerate from zero to over 130 mph in one gear. Without needing an energy-robbing transmission or differential, it accelerates from zero to 60 mph in about 4 seconds and finishes the standing 1/4 mile in about 12 seconds at over 100 mph"

Could be fun away from the lights though:eek:

Fun price too.... $108.000
    But $18.000 to go from 0-60 in 7 secs and a 1/4 mile in 16 secs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If i'm buying a city car, supercar performance is not anywhere near the top of my list, I also wouldnt be going 130 in that. I'd imagine the fact that you are enclosed would give an awful lot of misplaced feelings of safety.

Netter off with a smart car, at least you get 2 seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

inforfun wrote: »
    Fun price too.... $108.000
    But $18.000 to go from 0-60 in 7 secs and a 1/4 mile in 16 secs.

Holy crap I didnt see that bit:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

With a wheelbase that small, surely it'd roll over if you swerved to avoid something

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Why not just buy a motorbike?
    I suppose because of the weather.

I wouldn't fancy trying to take a bend at any speed in one!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I'm saving for a Tesla Sedan if they can ever make it. But the Tesla Roadster looks very cool and supposedly the drive is amazing with torque all the way from 0RPM to 14000 RPM. and you can get 250 miles on a single charge.

I have been following this car for the past few years and its really interesting the challenges they have overcome.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

tesla-roadster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

ned78 wrote: »

Also, because you've a roof over your head for the wonderfully inclement Irish weather, and probably because it has a radio on board too.

Sorry.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Weather - they're nearly all being sold in California.

Good idea? - Smart Car is a success, but not in rainy Ireland. Possibly a good idea, but not for us.

Do you not see it as another BMW C1? It's niche/novelty at best.

And what about resale values? What would you get for it after a couple of years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Re-sale?! You're gas Chris. I think it's an interesting concept but needs far sexier styling if its ever going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Sorry.:o

Eh ... it was a sarcastic comment buddy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Weather - they're nearly all being sold in California.

Good idea? - Smart Car is a success, but not in rainy Ireland. Possibly a good idea, but not for us.

Do you not see it as another BMW C1? It's niche/novelty at best.

And what about resale values? What would you get for it after a couple of years?
    Show me anything that does 0-60mph in 4 seconds that isn't a bit 'stupid'.:)

Re-sale?! You're gas Chris.

I'm from a fleet & leasing background, I can never escape the power of the residual value!
    Anan1 wrote: »

So true, so true... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

With a wheelbase that small, surely it'd roll over if you swerved to avoid something
    That was my first reaction too - it looks quite top heavy. According to the site, there's literally a tonne of batteries under the floor, which keeps the centre of gravity right down.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stekelly wrote: »
    If i'm buying a city car, supercar performance is not anywhere near the top of my list

My first thought too. Drive it in a spirited way and there won't be much range left either.
    ned78 wrote: »
    with cars like the Tata Nano, the BMW Isetta (Due for a comeback), and even the little Peel cars from the 60's, this type of thing could become more popular.

Probably so. Will we see an increase in road deaths because of this trend?

That said, I wouldn't mind a spin in one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

this thing is cool,it does look a bit insane and looks that it would turn over if you turned a corner but it does say it has 2000lbs under the floor so that shouldnt be a problem,would be hilarious accelerating away from lights at that speed,

only problem is that they kind of admit on the website that it has a range of 60 miles!!

How quick would it be if it didn't have all that weight???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Brilliant!

Provided everyone else on the road is in a similar sized vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

This

Or the sisters hayabusa, haha:P:D

Edit: Forgot to comment on that yoke. Can't say i'd buy one. Could be a bit lonely doing a 130 in it. People would laugh at you too:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

lottodrink wrote: »
    haha thats gas I want one:P
    No its batterys!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It's got a steel roll cage based on racing spec but no mention of airbags.
    Where do you put the sub-woofer?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

slimjimmc wrote: »
    It's got a steel roll cage based on racing spec but no mention of airbags.

Huh, stable my arse. They're obviously planning ahead:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

as someone said above, only if everyone else has one, and if the current lane sizes shrink so we get more lanes :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't know, I can just see someone commuting into San Francisco from Marin and as it's half-way across the Golden Gate bridge, 100m up in the air above the water, a brisk sea breeze comes along and tips it over around that 2,000lb fulcrum called a 'battery'

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Mary Harney's weighing scales does it in a nano second I believe.

Advertisement