Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAKE EIRCOM EMAIL WARNING

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Be realistic.
    sure. next time i need to go to the bank i'll send a 6 year old that has no notion of what they're doing while i'm at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Jesus ****ing christ. Cop the fúck on the lot of you.

Ooh, look at me. I know how to use the internet without getting scammed. I'm really super.

Some people will fall for it.
    There are actually people out there who haven't been suckling at the teet of boards.ie and other sites for the past ten years. People who generally just use the internet to send and recieve e-mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Terry wrote: »
    Jesus ****ing christ. Cop the fúck on the lot of you.

Ooh, look at me. I know how to use the internet without getting scammed. I'm really super.

Some people will fall for it.
    There are actually people out there who haven't been suckling at the teet of boards.ie and other sites for the past ten years. People who generally just use the internet to send and recieve e-mail.
    so they shouldn't be aware of the potential dangers of doing so? and i'm not really that super, i've been rickrolled a bunch of times -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

All Biggins is doing is MAKING people aware of potential dangers, I can't believe the grief he/she is getting for trying to do a good thing.

There are many people who wouldn't be fooled by the Nigerian great great grandfather or Spanish lotto, but who would see a name like Eircom in the email and think it was on the level. I got a similar email from a crowd claiming to be Yahoo, and my first instinct was to reply, I didn't, but I did think about it for a second and I do not consider myself to be a retard/slow/gullible/ass-hole or any of the other lovely names mentioned in this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Mirror wrote: »
    so they shouldn't be aware of the potential dangers of doing so? and i'm not really that super, i've been rickrolled a bunch of times -_-

Yes they should. And topics like this one are how they become aware of it. I know this is AH and I'd never expect to see human compasion (sp?) in it, hell most of the time it'd take the fun out of this forum but it's nice once in a while to actually try and make people aware of the dangerous as you said yourself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Why are there no threads warning people not to give their credit card & personal details to some randomer who phones them out of the blue claiming to be from Eircom trying to confirm their details?
    Why are there no threads warning people not to give their credit card & personal details to someone who writes to them via snail mail claiming to be from Eircom, but with a return address in Nigeria?
    Why the hell do the ignorant have to be protected because this medium involves a magic box that shoots electrons and diginons across this flat Earth?

I have some sympathy for people who fall for a phishing expidition where the email address was spoofed or something, but this?!

**** 'em.

This isn't me giving the OP a hard time because his heart is in the right place. He insisted that it be posted in AH, therefore it's open for discussion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Karoma wrote: »
    This isn't me giving the OP a hard time because his heart is in the right place. He insisted that it be posted in AH, therefore it's open for discussion.

Understandable and appreciate that the topic is still open.
    I'm very grateful to the mods for allowing it to be.

That its posted also in AH - I'm glad it been discussed - for two reasons.

1. That boards.ie by allowing the topic also to be here, is at the same time helping to make aware/warn net newbies to the current new wave of scams.
    Each new post to this topic helps to keep it up for any new members that have joined in the last few days and are new to net use in general.

2. That it can indeed be discussed and perhaps we will eventually give this topic enough attention that someone will help fight these scammers by further chasing those perpetrating these crimes.

It is easy to say "they deserve what they get, those who fall for these scams" but we all started off on the net at some time.
    Were we all fully aware of the dangers of the net and associated services/applications when we all first turned on our pc's and laptops?

I know its bloomin' annoying to have this subject crop up again and again, lord knows I get tired of reading about spam scams - but I have the decency to grit my teeth every time because I know that every time this subject comes up, at least one person out there on the net world, will hopefully learn and heisitate long enough more so to think about what they are replying to before they actually click "Reply".

Maybe we can move on and discuss effective ways to combat these scammers and how we can stop service providers like localnet.com from aiding these scumbags!
    A few suggestions wouldn't go a miss!

It personally gauls me that someone would use the Eircom name to scam our own people - because thats what they are doing - scamming our people on our own small island.
    Attacking our own Irish folk with eircom email addresses scams. I take it personal because as much as I know Eircom is not the best when it comes to net service, etc, - they are at least one of our own companies based in Ireland and I'd hate to think these scammers are ripping off our own people.
    I'd like to help my neighbour - maybe they someday will help me!
    I love the country. I love the people. I consider it an honour to help where I can, do what I can, thats all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I love you too, man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Terry wrote: »
    I love you too, mom.

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Biggins wrote: »
    1. That boards.ie by allowing the topic also to be here, is at the same time helping to make aware/warn net newbies to the current new wave of scams.
    New? This scam is as old as the hills it's even more pathetic on the web because they can't use any trickery or hard sell tactics. They just relie on the reader being a complete tosspot.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    ...They just rely on the reader being a complete tosspot.

...or just tired after a long day, not thinking straight - maybe distracted enough to not know any different - stressed during or after a long day minding kids or looking after an elderly parent... etc.

It sadly happens.

And for others to try and take advantage of such situations ...that gets me angry.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It personally gauls me that someone would use the Eircom name to scam our own people - because thats what they are doing - scamming our people on our own small island.
    Attacking our own Irish folk with eircom email addresses scams. I take it personal because as much as I know Eircom is not the best when it comes to net service, etc, - they are at least one of our own companies based in Ireland and I'd hate to think these scammers are ripping off our own people.
    I'd like to help my neighbour - maybe they someday will help me!
    I love the country. I love the people. I consider it an honour to help where I can, do what I can, thats all...

Who honestly gives a crap what name they use to scam people? You wouldn't have a problem with this if someone was using microsoft's or aol's name? They're scamming people, therefore they are scum no matter what name they use.

Anyways we can't warn everyone about the potential dangers out there. If we did, it's all we'd ever do simply because there are so many potential dangers out there.

Anyways we can't warn everyone about the potential dangers out there. If we did, it's all we'd ever do simply because there are so many potential dangers out there.

Very true sadly but at least we can all try. There's no harm done in looking out for each other, even a little bit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There's no harm done in looking out for each other, even a little bit.

Just do what I do and tell everyone to watch the real hustle. After watching every episode of that they'll be so paranoid about everyone trying to scam them they won't even trust themselves with their bank details.

Just do what I do and tell everyone to watch the real hustle. After watching every episode of that they'll be so paranoid about everyone trying to scam them they won't even trust themselves with their bank details.

Maybe that explains Run_to_da_hills god bless him! :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It wouldn't surprise me. You should meet my ma! :eek:

Oh but I have, many a times...

wait...thats kinda insulting to me....doh.

Lets hurl a brickie mart!

Advertisement