Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Pudding.

• 25-11-2008 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Guys, I need a bit of help.

The mother in law (who makes great puddings) has set me a challenge to make her a christmas pudding.

Her pudding is a dark moist pudding with lots of whiskey and guinness and all the ususal ingredients but no suet.

I, as always, said no problem to me and herein lies my downfall. Her recipe is a handed down on from her mother and is tried and tested over many years. I dont' have a recipe but have a board full of experts who will hopefully help me.

Is anyone else willing to share their tried and tested recipe's that they have been using.

Thanks,

Paul24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I'd ask the same question, kind of (and sorry for highjacking your thread but I think we both want the same thing).

My mother used to make a similar pudding, without suet. The thing is she now has alzheimers and we can't find her recipe anywhere. Unfortunately, she has no clue of the recipe herself at this stage.

So, if anyone can help out, please do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4857/guinness-pudding-with-whisky-cream from last years magazine...

I made this pudding last year and loved it..made 2 this year..
    Don't like dates so made up the remainder with 5 oz of sultanas & raisins.
    I threw in about 2 oz chopped almonds before I put it in the bowl...

Best of luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JonnyBlackrock

Originally from Jenny Bristow on UTV. It is very light, and has fresh fruit in it, so can only be made up to 2 weeks before Christmas. Yum! Don't seem to have the recipe for eggnog sauce. We've only ever served it with whipped cream.

[FONT=&quot]CRANBERRY AND BLUEBERRY FRESH FRUIT PLUM PUDDING[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [FONT=&quot](with a choice of either brandy or eggnog sauce)[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [FONT=&quot]Ingredients[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]225g/8oz dried cranberries
    115g/4oz fresh cranberries (gently poached)
    1 apple (grated)
    115g/4oz chopped pecan nuts
    115g/4oz dried/fresh blueberries
    45g/1lb sultanas
    115g/4oz glace cherries
    1 orange/lemon (rind & juice)
    ½ tsp nutmeg
    ½ tsp cloves
    ½ tsp cinnamon
    4-6dsp bourbon
    2dsp maple syrup (dark)
    225g/8oz butter
    225g/8oz dark soft brown sugar
    3 eggs (lightly whisked)
    115g/4oz plain flour
    115g/4oz white breadcrumbs[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Method[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]. Mix together in a large bowl the dried cranberries, gently poached cranberries, blueberries, sultanas, cherries, lemon/orange rind, spices, nuts and apple.
    . Mix well then add the maple syrup and bourbon.
    . Cover with cling film and leave to sit, preferably overnight, to allow the fruits to absorb the juices and plump up.
    . In a separate bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
    . Beat the eggs, lightly then add to the creamed mixture alternately with the sieved flour and breadcrumbs. Mix well.
    . In batches, add the steeped fruit mixture and continue to mix until all are incorporated.
    . Transfer to a well greased 2pt (2x1 pt) pudding basin.
    . Fill 2/3 full, then cover the pudding either with a secure lid or with a double layer of well greased proof paper. Ensure a fold in the paper to allow for expansion during cooking.
    . Tie securely with string and boil or steam for 3? - 4 hours.
    . This pudding can be stored for 1-2 weeks and then re-heated by re-boiling for 1 hour before serving.
    . Turn out on to a large plate and serve with Egg Nog sauce or Brandy sauce.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]BRANDY SAUCE[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [FONT=&quot]Ingredients[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]115g/4oz melted butter
    115g/4oz soft brown sugar
    1 egg, lightly whipped
    140ml brandy
    280ml lightly whipped cream[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Method[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    . Melt the butter in a saucepan, add brown sugar, and stir until dissolved, cooking for 3 to 4 minutes.
    . Allow to cool slightly and then add the beaten egg and brandy. Mix well. (this mixture can be stored in a screw-top jar in the fridge)
    . To complete the sauce, reheat the brandy mixture and add the lightly whipped cream.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Advertisement