Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best u-25 team available for Ireland?

• 25-11-2008 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Lot of people a bit down after the weekend, but tbh, I think we're on the verge of a new generation coming through for Ireland. Have picked an u-25's team of player's who I reckon will be capped or have have just been capped.

1) Cian Healy, Leinster, 21
    2) Sean Cronin, Connacht, 22
    3) Tim Ryan, Munster, 24
    4) Donnacha Ryan Munster, 24
    5) Ryan Caldwell, Ulster, 24
    6) Stephen Ferris, Ulster, 23
    7) David Pollock, Ulster, 21
    8) Jamie Heaslip, Leinster, 24
    9) Cillian Willis, Ulster, 23
    10) Ian Keatley, Connacht, 21
    11) Luke Fitzgerald, Leinster, 21
    12) Keith Earls, Munster, 21
    13) Darren Cave, Ulster, 21
    14) Johnny Murphy, Leicester, 24
    15) Rob Kearney, Leinster, 22

Obviously, a lot of the backs are still working out where their best position is, Luke Fitz is could easily be at either 12, 13, 14 or 15, same with Earls etc. Afaik, both Bowe and Trimble are under 25, but since both are pretty well established at this stage figured it was as easy to leave them out. Of that team, imo, only Johnny Murphy will not eventually get a full cap, and even that isn't set in stone, he's having a great season, and also offers a kicking option.

Could easily have Toner or Sexton in there too.

Plenty of talent on the way through.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭daveyrovers

Seems a bit odd that you don't include Trimble and Bowe because they are already pretty well established but you've included Heaslip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

great post and a good team.

i happen to like toner. the first time i saw him i though he was a talentless beanpole but he has made a huge impression on me this season and is becoming a genuinely decent player...not sure if he will make it but he's heading in the right direction.

i think cave and pollack could be world class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Seems a bit odd that you don't include Trimble and Bowe because they are already pretty well established but you've included Heaslip?

I didn't want to include Heaslip tbh, but was stuck for a number 8 and knew certain elements would bring him up anyway. Feel free to suggest an alternative no. 8, I could have put Billy Holland at 6 and Ferris to 8, but has Holland really done enough to suggest he'll be one for the future? Perhaps Sean O'Brien at 6 or 8, but haven't seen too much of him (from what I have seen I think he will play for Ireland, but where?), and what I have seen he's been playing 7.

RuggieBear wrote: »

i happen to like toner. the first time i saw him i though he was a talentless beanpole but he has made a huge impression on me this season and is becoming a genuinely decent player...not sure if he will make it but he's heading in the right direction.

Toner would make it if I had decided to post this a few weeks later, Donnacha Ryan is due to turn 25 next month. He's one for the future, but think the two ahead of him are currently closer to the Irish squad (with Ryan just capped) than he is.

Not so sure about Cave, I think he'll be very good, but not so sure he has the extra something Earls or Fitz has. Pollock could be in the irish side very soon, Wallace isn't getting any younger and Pollock will be his long term replacement, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

i happen to like toner. the first time i saw him i though he was a talentless beanpole but he has made a huge impression on me this season and is becoming a genuinely decent player
    Second...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

That's a surprisingly good team. Quite impressive alright.

still think the present irish team would muller it! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Paul O'Donoghue at scrum half,

what type of a 7 is Pollock?

bamboozle wrote: »
    Paul O'Donoghue at scrum half,

what type of a 7 is Pollock?

Interesting, O'Donoghue was tried at 10 for last weeks Leinster A game v. Ospreys A. Has he made a senior start for Leinster yet? Personally, I would still hope Duncan Williams gets over his injuries and comes through, but it's looking less likely every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I'd agree mostly with that selection would have been good enough to beat Canada anyway, about 8 or 9 of them players should be in the team for the 6 nations at least.

• Advertisement

I'd agree mostly with that selection would have been good enough to beat Canada anyway, about 8 or 9 of them players should be in the team for the 6 nations at least.

Well four of the almost certainly will be, Heaslip, Earls, Fitz and Kearney, Donnacha Ryan will probably be on the bench all going well, who else do you think will break through?

Johne Murphy has to be shoe in, Caldwell and altough not on the team, I think Sexton deserves a chance. Cian Healy too.

Johne Murphy has to be shoe in, Caldwell and altough not on the team, I think Sexton deserves a chance. Cian Healy too.

I admire Johnny Murphy but I think he's just a bit below the required level, he's not in Kearney's league at fullback imo, and not sure he's all that great on the wing.

Cian Healy isn't starting for Leinster so it's too risky to start him the 6n's, were he starting for Leinster I'd risk him for Ireland. Caldwell could very well come in alright, and if Sexton gets a good run I think everyone would like to see what an alternative to O'Gara could do.

I admire Johnny Murphy but I think he's just a bit below the required level, he's not in Kearney's league at fullback imo, and not sure he's all that great on the wing.

I beg to differ.
    Do we have any other winger banging in the tries like him at the moment.
    Voted Leicesters player of the year last year and anyone that highly rated by a club which is arguably stronger than Leinster would be up to the required level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭faulk28

I beg to differ.
    Voted Leicesters player of the year last year and anyone that highly rated by a club which is arguably stronger than Leinster would be up to the required level.
    I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Emilioooooo

I beg to differ.
    I agree, johnny murphy should b givin a chance on the wing for ireland, he is playin great stuff wi leicester at the min, and i for one would love ta c him in the ireland shirt

Emilioooooo, faulk28, Frankie Lee banned.

looks like duplicate accounts to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

1) Cian Healy, Leinster, 21
    2) Sean Cronin, Connacht, 22
    3) Tim Ryan, Munster, 24
    4) Donnacha Ryan Munster, 24
    5) Ryan Caldwell, Ulster, 24
    6) Stephen Ferris, Ulster, 23
    7) David Pollock, Ulster, 21
    8) Jamie Heaslip, Leinster, 24
    Great post. What about Toner and Sean O'Brien?
    What age is Gary Browne? He was great until he broke his league. Had some serious pace.

I beg to differ.

But is he a better option than Bowe, Trimble, Fitz and Earls (assuming Kearney will our 6n's fullback)?

I hesitate to compare chalk and cheese, but Dowling is highly rated in Munster, is great defensively, a good kicker, smart player but is that enough? He, like Johnny Murphy, just lacks that extra bit to his game, imo.

If he (or Dowling) did get capped I'd wish him the best of luck of course.

Great post. What about Toner and Sean O'Brien?
    What age is Gary Browne? He was great until he broke his league. Had some serious pace.

Like I said, both are great prospects, but Toner is just a notch behind Caldwell and Ryan and I've only seen bits of O'Brien, will he stay or 7 or what's his best position?

• Advertisement

gary browne is seriously fast but he is total defensive liability.

O'brien has looked good coming on as a sub but has faded when started. Serious talent tho: fast, balanced, aggressive.

gary browne is seriously fast but he is total defensive liability.

O'brien has looked good coming on as a sub but has faded when started. Serious talent tho: fast, balanced, aggressive.

Gary Browne is 28, too old for the nominal selection. It's a pity he arrived so soon after O'Driscoll in Leinster, never really got a proper look-in at 13, and it damaged his career a lot, imo.

O'Brien's only a young guy though, match fitness was always going to be an issue this year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'd consider Fionn Carr on the bench for that team. I reckon he'll be playing more on the wing over the next while.

Robbo wrote: »
    I'd consider Fionn Carr on the bench for that team. I reckon he'll be playing more on the wing over the next while.

Due to the new Islander?

How's O'Riordain getting on? He's hardly over 25 yet is he? Pity Durcan left, would have liked to have seen more of him after his game against SA, always figured he was more of an outhalf than fullback though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Seconded. He was easily Leinster's best player when they played Connacht, and any time I've seen him this season he has been the best second row on display, always looking to get on the ball and contribute around the field. If he bulks up a little bit more and finds a bit more aggression (not dirt, more ball attacking and hitting rucks) he will make a great player.

After this season should have a better idea too about Keatley, a full season should give some idea of whether he has the potential to play international rugby. Would like to see O'Connor and Sexton get the same opportunity to play, as long as they are not first choice they will never develop, and OH is where long term the next generation of Irish players will succeed or fail. No good having all this backline talent and good forwards if we can't find a decent replacement for ROG.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Due to the new Islander?

How's O'Riordain getting on? He's hardly over 25 yet is he? Pity Durcan left, would have liked to have seen more of him after his game against SA, always figured he was more of an outhalf than fullback though.
    Yeah, if this Ta'auso fella is what he's be sold as, he'll be playing in the centre with Duffy probably moving to full back again.

Danny Riordan's spent a long time out injured and was only back there for Connacht against Portugal. He didn't really impress and with the way the ELVs have changed things, I don't think the back 3 will suit him any more. He was never the most comfortable under a high ball and his kicking leaves a lot to be desired.

Due to the new Islander?

The new guy's a centre, but Riordan might get a run at full back now. AFAIK he had a long injury lay-off, just back recently. He's just turned 24 BTW.
    Carr has pace to burn from what I've seen so far so might be better utilised on the wing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Zzippy wrote: »
    Seconded. He was easily Leinster's best player when they played Connacht, and any time I've seen him this season he has been the best second row on display, always looking to get on the ball and contribute around the field. If he bulks up a little bit more and finds a bit more aggression (not dirt, more ball attacking and hitting rucks) he will make a great player

The problem is he already weighs a good deal more than POC and DOC, he's just so bloody tall you don't notice.

Riordan looked seriously good a few years back, but then he just seemed to get whatever malaise affects Connacht players (same thing got to Ofisa, Wynne and Gannon). Would love to see him step back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

It's a good team alrite but by the time these guys break thru there will be a lot of new guys alongside them. Carr is definitley 1 for the future and there is a few young guys in Connacht (especially in the forwards) that will make some leaps forward.
    Billy Holland looks like another great for the future, outstanding commitment

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The problem is he already weighs a good deal more than POC and DOC, he's just so bloody tall you don't notice.

Wow, would never have guessed that. Well DOC maybe, but not POC. He does look like a beanpole on the pitch alright, just thought he would be able to carry a bit more weight for his height. He was an animal on the restarts in the Connacht game, much as I was cheering for Connacht I really admired his ball winning skills.

I do think there's a lot of talent in this country, I just wonder if the demands of the professional game at times stunt the development of that talent...

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

Hopefully Joe Merrigan will get more of a run out this year. Ronan Loughney too.

Brett Wilkinson I think just misses out on the age of this thread, but is young for a prop and plays all the time. He'll be Irish qualified soon enough. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Obviously not ready yet but there is certain 18year old prop making great strides currently having already been selected for Leinster A ahead of far more senior players. I've seen this guy play and hes the real deal excited to see how he turns out over the coming years. + Hes a tighthead...

I do think there's a lot of talent in this country, I just wonder if the demands of the professional game at times stunt the development of that talent...

it's tough alright, it looks like Tim Ryan, Holland and Manning have been dropped from the Munster squad for this weekends game, despite all playing well against NZ. The danger of having to win every game and build towards the HEC.

• Advertisement

Obviously not ready yet but there is certain 18year old prop making great strides currently having already been selected for Leinster A ahead of far more senior players. I've seen this guy play and hes the real deal excited to see how he turns out over the coming years. + Hes a tighthead...

McGrath? will be interesting alright.

Reckon Darragh Hurley will come back into the equation pretty soon too.

it's tough alright, it looks like Tim Ryan, Holland and Manning have been dropped from the Munster squad for this weekends game, despite all playing well against NZ. The danger of having to win every game and build towards the HEC.
    Yeah, it's inevitable really.

Whose propping for Leintser A's? Heard we've some good prospects down there.

Whose propping for Leintser A's? Heard we've some good prospects down there.

There's a thread on leinsterfans.com about Leinster A for all your info needs.

http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11912

I tend to keep my obsessiveness limited to Munster, but no doubt there is plenty coming through in Leinster.

Darragh Hurley is the Cork Con prop who should take over from Horan over the next 12 months, imo. Nail a spot with Munster (or Leinster) and you are very close to the Irish team at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Thats the one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Cian Healy isn't starting for Leinster so it's too risky to start him the 6n's, were he starting for Leinster I'd risk him for Ireland. Caldwell could very well come in alright, and if Sexton gets a good run I think everyone would like to see what an alternative to O'Gara could do.

7 Tries to his name this season, has been on the teamsheet every time since the start of the season. The fact is he's keeping out players such as Rambeni, Varndell and Tuiagli (forgive me for the names).

He is the most in form winger available with Bowe behind him.

• Advertisement

Stev_o wrote: »
    7 Tries to his name this season, has been on the teamsheet every time since the start of the season. The fact is he's keeping out players such as Rambeni, Varndell and Tuiagli (forgive me for the names).

He is the most in form winger available with Bowe behind him.

Pfft, they're not even playing for Connact... :rolleyes:

When have we ever played lads based abroad unless it was totally necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Got to have O'Brien at 7 in that team. He's been superb all season. But very good post OP. I agree there are a good few players coming through. Encouragingly, a lot at Ulster (Big fan of O'Connor who didn't make it to your team, rightly so imo and Cave who is going to be top class).

Also a lot of fans of seperate teams would know of up and comings too...like at Leinster O'Malley is going to be a big player. I also think Jamie Hagan at prop has a bright future and I think people who haven't seen much of Toner this season will be surprised just how much he's coming on. Not there yet, but most improved player at Leinster by a country mile. Agression level are up, physicality, he's using his frame and considerable height a lot better and could be a big player of the future. Same at all provinces though. Beyond the know there are always a few unknown coming through too.

I've given up on O'Donohoe though. He's not even making the "A" team now. He'd want to do something pretty special just to nail down second spot behind Keane now and I would say we will have no option but to sign a scrum half for next season. 2/1 foreign, 5/1 Reddan, 10/1 Stringer (I'd love that for the irony alone!! :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

i think tommy o donnell from the munster academy and ulbohs is a good prospect for the back row aswell..think he plays mostly at 6..he was on the ireland u19 team that was in the wc in dubai a few years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tom-d

Think Keatley showed great potential so far and could be very good........................ just hard for connacht players to get a look in on the irish team

[QUOTE='[Jackass]

I've given up on O'Donohoe though. He's not even making the "A" team now. He'd want to do something pretty special just to nail down second spot behind Keane now and I would say we will have no option but to sign a scrum half for next season. 2/1 foreign, 5/1 Reddan, 10/1 Stringer (I'd love that for the irony alone!! :p)[/QUOTE]

Em, O'Donoghue has featured in all three recent Leinster A games, starting two, one at 9 and mostly recently at 10.

Can't say I know much about him, just going off the above linked thread to be honest, but he's clearly in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

I didn't want to include Heaslip tbh, but was stuck for a number 8 ....Perhaps Sean O'Brien at 6 or 8, but haven't seen too much of him and what I have seen he's been playing 7.
    Sean O Brien is an excellent player, and I'd have him in there in stead of Pollock.

Advertisement