Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinach Fritatta

• 25-11-2008 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I have a load of baby spinach left over after weekend & some lovely eggs from a friend's farm......so thought I'd try a spinach fritatta. Will probably throw in some onion, potato, tomatoes too.

Only problem I've got is, do I cook the spinach first on just put into pan with the cooked onion, potato & tomato & then cook spinach & pour egg over? or do I cook the spinach first and add to other ingredients?

Any suggestions for a nice cheese for the top?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've never added spinach to a fritatta before. But if I was to do it - I'd cook spuds etc as usual. Add in spinach at last min just before you plop the lot into the egg. And then go on as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Cook the spinach before adding the eggs. Allow the spinach to cool then wring as much liquid out of it as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

Add a dollop of mint sauce to a green veg fritata for a real KICK.......mmmm

I usually make a narrow bean, petit pois and broccoli one with loads of colemans mint sauce.....my friends cant usually pin point the extra engredient but looooove it!...I'm a real vinegar lover, whick it the key in mint sauce...mmmm

Alternatively, you asked about cheese to use on top, try blue cheese crumbled on..... OR.....

Instead of mint use a blue cheese or caesar salad dressing, 2 tablespoons with the egg mixture...mmm I do this when I make a spinach quiche, same principle but minus the pastry.....try grilling it too

Minder wrote: »
    Cook the spinach before adding the eggs. Allow the spinach to cool then wring as much liquid out of it as possible.

Pop it in a seive and massage it with a dessert spoon, water comes out quite quick. I use frozen spinach cubes to save time, blitzed in the microwave covered in a bowl with a plate for 2 mins.

Dont boil the spinach either, just blanche it.

Sorry I dont mean to sound like a real know-all.....just passionate about cooking (not a professional)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I find two good ways to cook spinach - either steam it, so it doesn't touch the water, or put it in a dry, non-stick pan, pour on a tiny bit of boiling water and put it over the heat with the lid on - it'll wilt in just a couple of minutes between the heat and steam from the water. That way you have even less moisture to wring out of it than if you've immersed it in water to cook it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Pop it in a seive and massage it with a dessert spoon, water comes out quite quick. I use frozen spinach cubes to save time, blitzed in the microwave covered in a bowl with a plate for 2 mins.

Dont boil the spinach either, just blanche it.

Sorry I dont mean to sound like a real know-all.....just passionate about cooking (not a professional)
    I find two good ways to cook spinach - either steam it, so it doesn't touch the water, or put it in a dry, non-stick pan, pour on a tiny bit of boiling water and put it over the heat with the lid on - it'll wilt in just a couple of minutes between the heat and steam from the water. That way you have even less moisture to wring out of it than if you've immersed it in water to cook it.

Regardless of how you cook fresh spinach, there will be a lot of excess water when it is cooked. Better to wring it out before adding it to the eggs or a quiche - don't want all that excess water making the dish sloppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

True. Why do two 500g bags of spinach always seem to turn into half a bowlful of sop? :(

I think I'm lucky to have never experienced 'sop' :) spoon in the seive always works for me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

beat up the eggs and milk, as normal.

put spring onions, spinach, whatever herbs you want in the bottom

mix it all up.

lash it in the frying pan on a very low heat.

half a load of cherry toms

place them on top with a mountain of cheese

stick under the grill until golden brown

and devour

PS - this will never be soggy

Advertisement