Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxis in Galway - bad experiences?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AvrilLavigne

d-gal wrote: »
    Oh and when I said Salthill and then on to knocknacarra he started to drive towards that direction and then started his yelling so it would have been hard to just hop out!

icon14.gif This taxi driver was a pure d**k!
    icon14.gif I'll say it again, fair play for only giving him a fiver!
    icon13.gif For all those who are too cowardly to stand up to assholes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

icon14.gif This taxi driver was a pure d**k!
    icon14.gif I'll say it again, fair play for only giving him a fiver!
    icon13.gif For all those who are too cowardly to stand up to assholes!

Is this post supposed to be for the people that didn't read your previous posts?

Is this post supposed to be for the people that didn't read your previous posts?

Yes.

Thank you for repeating it!

Yes.

Thank you for repeating it!

If you wish to go against the "law" then and feel as though to get back at this guy you must stoop to his level then give us your good reason instead of repeating your shallow statements. It would be nice if we could all take the law into our own hands wouldn't it?

Is reporting him not good enough? Should the op poster not have turned down the taxi at the beginning?

Or should he have given him the 5 euro and reported him? Then the taxi driver has a case too.

It would be nice if we could all take the law into our own hands wouldn't it?

Some of us can, but like I said, cowards like you . . . :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lets see...him being threatening and abusive for me asking him to do his job i.e. drop me to salthill and then the gf to knocknacarra...ya not a leg to stand on :rolleyes:

His word against yours. I'm picking you weren't that sober at the time, and perhaps not exhibiting the best of communication skills yourself. I could be wrong, of course, but TBH it seems very unusual that a driver wouldn't welcome a fare with multiple stops because they almost always involve a slightly longer route than going directly.

For me going to mine and the gf going home usually costs around €11-12. If I had to get a taxi from hers to mine would be around €8.
    If the taxi driver did his bloody job it would cost €12..but he yelled and refused to do 2 stops so i would have to get another taxi home as I did not want to leave the gf with this guy alone for the rest of journey. It would have then of cost me €21 (€13+8).
    Oh and when I said Salthill and then on to knocknacarra he started to drive towards that direction and then started his yelling so it would have been hard to just hop out!

You could, and should, have asked him to stop the taxi at any time. If he refused to stop, then you could have whipped out the cellphone and called the garda. The fact that you didn't do so backs up assumption above.

You still only gave him €5 for what should have been a €11-12 trip. That's theft, plain and simple.

You are new to boards...have absolutely no idea who I am and yet you assume that I'd be afraid to take matters into my own hands if I wanted?

You think I'm not capable of losing my temper and breaking someones nose just like every other person in this world. Every person in this world is capable of murder even my friend but there's something we call civilization and mature members of society actually respect the law because they know it's made by mankind for mankind. It's the best system we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You're calling him a coward for advocating the legally correct approach - either reporting the guy or refusing to take the taxi in the first place? How is that being cowardly? Instead you are saying its ok to basically rob the taxi driver just because you don't like his attitude. Taking the law into your own hands automatically equates to being brave now? Wow.

cornbb wrote: »
    Taking the law into your own hands automatically equates to being brave now? Wow.

It can do sometimes but automatically equating it to being brave are your words! Laws are changed all the time by people being brave enough to stand up for their own beliefs and not blindly following rules that are open to interpretation and do not fit all circumstances.

• Advertisement

You think I'm not capable of losing my temper and breaking someones nose just like every other person in this world

I didn't think so before but I do now! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It can do sometimes but automatically equating it to being brave are your words! Laws are changed all the time by people being brave enough to stand up for their own beliefs and not blindly following rules that are open to interpretation and do not fit all circumstances.
    And we challenge them laws in the time honoured manner...

Hey! Hey! You! You!
    I don't like your girlfriend!
    No way! No way!
    I think you need a new one
    Hey! Hey! You! You!
    I could be your girlfriend

Stirring stuff indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Laws are changed all the time by people being brave enough to stand up for their own beliefs and not blindly following rules that are open to interpretation and do not fit all circumstances.

No they're not. Laws are changed by society by consensus, not by guys refusing to pay their way in life and thinking it makes them a hero :rolleyes: Laws are not perfect but they are the best thing we have, and they are certainly far better than resorting to outright thievery and then claiming it was the right thing to do.

Robbo wrote: »
    Stirring stuff indeed.

In your pants? :eek:

cornbb wrote: »
    Laws are changed by society by consensus

Actually they are changed by the Dáil, Seanád and the President. It is the constutution that is changed by consensus. :P

Actually they are changed by the Dáil, Seanád and the President. It is the constutution that is changed by consensus. :P

That's abit pedantic.

The government act on our behalf and we vote the people we think will be best into government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

Cornbb - I think they'll eventually resort to the "I only stole from him to feed my family" defence, which will read "I only stole from him to teach him not to be ignorant".

Going by the post that instigated this back and forth banter (NOT the OP), I'd say that it could have been case of theignorant meting the ignorant, with the most gnorant prevailing. That's if any of it ever happened. :eek:

I think that it's another case of the online tough-guys, who in real life wouldn't dare to talk back to anyone.

As for Robbo; I had respect for you once, but that is now gone due to you knowing the words to that tripe! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

JustMary wrote: »
    His word against yours. I'm picking you weren't that sober at the time, and perhaps not exhibiting the best of communication skills yourself. I could be wrong, of course, but TBH it seems very unusual that a driver wouldn't welcome a fare with multiple stops because they almost always involve a slightly longer route than going directly.

You could, and should, have asked him to stop the taxi at any time. If he refused to stop, then you could have whipped out the cellphone and called the garda. The fact that you didn't do so backs up assumption above.

You still only gave him €5 for what should have been a €11-12 trip. That's theft, plain and simple.

Actually I was completley sober, and also if I told him to stop he would want money so if I refused would that not be 'theft' again? I have heard of many people reporting taxi drivers with little done to them. You have to stand up for yourself sometimes and not let a$$hole taxi drivers walk all over ya, he provides a service and he broke his service by refusing to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

This taxi driver was wrong on many levels. If passengers need to be brought to different drop off points he is legally obliged to drop them where they want to go - no matter how awkward the journey may be - tho this trip doesn't sound awkward at all - shoot out to Salthill and then on to Knocknacarra. If you want to be dropped in Moycullen and then out to Roscam he's obligated to do it (providing the journey is no more than 30km then he can refuse)

The fact that he was agressive is another no no. Drivers must be polite and professional at all times. The fare sounds about right - the fact that he took off without getting the full fare shows he knows he did wrong - I suspect he wasn't a properly licensed taxi - otherwise the guards would side with him if everything was in order.

If your treated badly in anyway - ASK FOR A PRINTED RECEIPT- also take note of his number on his sign - make sure it corresponds to the number on the receipt - pay the fare and then complain to the taxi regulator. They WILL investigate. If you are blatantly overcharged - ASK FOR A PRINTED RECEIPT If he can't provide you with one you can refuse to pay. "My printer isn't working" isn't an excuse. Hand written receipts don't cut it either. Make sure your not charged extra extras - I've heard alot of taxis are slapping on 2 euros when picking at a rank - don't accept this - tell them you'll pay the fare but not the extra extras and again take down the number and complain to the regulator - The only time a taxi can charge the call out charge is when you book one - either from home, a base or from another location.

You may have guessed - I'm a taxi driver :) and I advise ye all to choose your taxi carefully - there are ALOT of illegal taxis operating out there. Some of the illegal drivers might actually be nice but they won't be insured properly. Not to mention there are some real scumbags out there too. I'm with Big O but you can't go wrong with the other reputable companies like Galway Taxis etc. If you have a problem with a company taxi call the company office and complain - they will come down like a ton of bricks on any unprofessionalism.

The government act on our behalf and we vote the people we think will be best into government.

And does your mommy hold your hand when crossing the road?
    Fey! wrote: »
    I think that it's another case of the online tough-guys, who in real life wouldn't dare to talk back to anyone.

One of my favourite pastimes is giving out to Galway taxi drivers, especially those ones who feel they can hold up traffic on Eyre Square by double parking on the entire length of the road and then even park on the pedestrian crossing! But no, I really should just note their reg and call the cops, but wait, there are cops right here, and they do nothing because they are too busy to deal with everything. Take some initiative people.

One of my favourite pastimes is giving out to Galway taxi drivers, especially those ones who feel they can hold up traffic on Eyre Square by double parking on the entire length of the road and then even park on the pedestrian crossing! But no, I really should just note their reg and call the cops, but wait, there are cops right here, and they do nothing because they are too busy to deal with everything. Take some initiative people.

And what difference have you made so far?

• Advertisement

And what difference have you made so far?

Made them move.

Made them move.

For what 5 minutes and how many of them?
    There still there every day. ;)

For what 5 minutes and how many of them?
    There still there every day. ;)

Guess too many people like you came after and just put up with it! Moved for me! :p

Guess too many people like you came after and just put up with it! Moved for me! :p

Ya I suppose that must be it. :rolleyes:
    Well either that or they realize that's not the way to resolve the problem.

Now if you really want to make a difference why don't you create a petition or something and bring it to a politican. I'd sign it because that solution I think would have a better chance of working. There are ways and means you know and plenty of support available. All we need is a leader - I think it's a disgrace the way they park there.

I don't understand the problem fully though - perhaps it's the fact that the council give out too many taxi plates or that they failed to create enough room for taxis when the square was being developed.

Especially for Avril & d-gal.

LANGUAGE WARNING - not too bad, but forewarned and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

I got into a fixed fare taxi last week and the driver was very friendly.Are that city taxis crowd any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Especially for Fey! The person with no life.

Sorted your post there

Oh and all i have done is explain my bad experience, stick to the thread title

Sorted your post there

Oh and all i have done is explain my bad experience, stick to the thread title

Just spotted that something tried putting me back in my box. :P

As for explaining your bad experience, what you did, and what a number of people have pointed out to you here, is essentially steal from someone. If you had a problem with him, you should have gotten a receipt, and then reported it to the taxi regulator and/or the gardai. If the taxi driver wished to, he could easily report you to the gardai for what you did. Bear in mind that a number of taxis operate surveillance systems to protect the drivers from those who try to rip them off or damage their property.

Unfortunately, trying to explain things to you and AvrilLavigne is a complete waste of everyones time and energy and, quite frankly, you're not worth either.

Assuming for a moment that you aren't just another amateur troll (which takes a lot of imagination), if what you said is actually true and you continue similar actions with other people, eventually someone isn't going to take your crap and you will end up either arrested or flat on your back. Unfortunately, you probably won't have enough damage done to you to qualify you for a Darwin Award, but you may be ignorant enough to get an honorary mention.

Just spotted that something tried putting me back in my box. :P

As for explaining your bad experience, what you did, and what a number of people have pointed out to you here, is essentially steal from someone. If you had a problem with him, you should have gotten a receipt, and then reported it to the taxi regulator and/or the gardai. If the taxi driver wished to, he could easily report you to the gardai for what you did. Bear in mind that a number of taxis operate surveillance systems to protect the drivers from those who try to rip them off or damage their property.

Unfortunately, trying to explain things to you and AvrilLavigne is a complete waste of everyones time and energy and, quite frankly, you're not worth either.

Assuming for a moment that you aren't just another amateur troll (which takes a lot of imagination), if what you said is actually true and you continue similar actions with other people, eventually someone isn't going to take your crap and you will end up either arrested or flat on your back. Unfortunately, you probably won't have enough damage done to you to qualify you for a Darwin Award, but you may be ignorant enough to get an honorary mention.

Fey is Gey? :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement