Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patch Panels?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain to me how to do the following?

If there is a small office with 5 computers and phones all connected back to a patch panel. However you want to extend the office and have a reception area which handles all incoming calls and transfers them to the office as required.
    1 Is it just a matter of running two seperate CAT 5 cables to the new reception area from the patch panel one cable for phone one cable for internet access?
    2 At the patch panels is there one panel for phone and one panel for internet?
    3 Do u just connect the cables into back of patch panels? What happens next

Any help or a basic summary of how the above system works would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

That's pretty much how it works.
    2 cat5's to the patch panel, patch leads on the front connect to phone system and internet router respectively.

Make sure you've free patch ports and router ports first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Thanks for your reply. Basically i know how to connect into patch panels and how to connect two RJ45 connections at reception area but after that Im completely lost. What do u mean by patch ports and router ports. What cable do i plug into front of patch panels to get phone reception working.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ok, you wire the cat5 to the back of the patch panel. You then use a short lead with RJ45 connectors (same as you use from the wall port to a pc) to go between the patch panel socket and the internet router / server router. The same goes for the phone port.

If you look at how the existing ones are wired, it should be obvious.

If not, can you post a pic of the patch panel?

Thanks that big help. It seems pretty straightforward. So just one more question.

How do u set up the system whereby if someone rings at reception they can transfer it to someone in the office. I know all phones will be going back to same patch panel but
    How do u know wat extension number to ring to contact each person in the office? Or is that just built into the phones when u buy them.
    Basically i want to know How come if someone rings the reception phone will ring and not all the phones in the office if they are all connected to the same patch panel?

Thanks in advance for the education

That would be up to how the phone system is programmed, nothing to do with how you wire it unless it's an older type hardwired system rather than a newer exchange.

The extension numbers are also programmed into the pabx so it may be a matter of calling the supplier out to re-program it for you.

I don't really know much more than that.

• Advertisement

Thats great so as i got it u basically wire all cat 5 cables for each phone including the one in reception to the patch panel. And from this patch panel u connect each point at the front of the panel with an RJ45 cable to the main panel which has the main line from telecom coming into the building? Thats correct i take it.

Also do same with internet CAT 5 cables.

That sounds correct.

The wiring between the socket and the patch panel is the same for both phone and ethernet.

You then patch the ethernet socket to the router / hub (it'll have a light on each port).

The phone patch depends on what hardware is installed but if it looks like the rest of them are going there then it'll probably work. It depends what kind of local exchange is there ans if it will need to be re-configured to take another extension.

Ok thanks i will give it a go.

Thanks a million

Advertisement