Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tommy Tiernan, Is he reali that funny??

• 25-11-2008 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Possibly the funniest comedian from Ireland, him Dylan Moran, and Dara O'Briain top comedians in Ireland.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

I'd agree with Dylan and Dara, but I hate that Tiernan, all he does is shout and wave his arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Emilioooooo

I'd agree with Dylan and Dara, but I hate that Tiernan, all he does is shout and wave his arms.
    I agree wi that comment jamsieboy, but this shoutin and wavin his arms is how he interacts wi the crowd, which would make it even more comical in a live theatre!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭faulk28

Yeah, Dara's good. The Panel ain't the same without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 summerbaby

Tommy was great in the past but the last year hasn't been his best but i love his work before that. you should watch some of his older dvd's, Tommy Tiernan Live is the funniest, you'd have to watch it twice to hear all the jokes from laughing over some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 tricky dickie

dara is fair good. tommy tierian is just not funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 summerbaby

Did anyone ever see Neil Delamere live? I saw him last year at the Cat Laughs Festival and he was so funny i nearly wet myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Saw Tommy Tiernan a few months back. I laughed once through the whole gig right at the end. I barely managed a grin other than that.

I get the impression he shouts to make up for his lack of good jokes.

Saw Dara O Briain a few years back and I nearly wet myself throughout the gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

summerbaby wrote: »
    Tommy was great in the past but the last year hasn't been his best but i love his work before that. you should watch some of his older dvd's, Tommy Tiernan Live is the funniest, you'd have to watch it twice to hear all the jokes from laughing over some.
    I agree with you summerbaby, he's changed, his stuff is just not funny anymore, and he looks so different, like he's trying to hard or something...he comes across just rude nowadays. And I don't mean just how his jokes usually poke fun at the disabled and the travellers (I always found the travellers impressions inhilarious) but lately it just all seems a bit old or something....or maybe I'm just getting older....*sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

summerbaby wrote: »

I agree, he used to be good when he was starting out. But somewhere along the way he just lost it. I'm not sure exactly where it could coincide with, maybe his attempts to break the US. He could be trying to be more Lenny Bruce than Dave Allen hence the "controversial" material about disabled people *yawn*

I think he'd be better trying to get back to his older style because that for me is where he is funniest.

Oh, and one thing, I wouldn't go to the start of a run. I did that in Galway at the launch of his new shows. It was his 2nd or 3rd and he was like a kid who hadn't done his homework. He ran out of material after about 45 minutes and then asked the audience if they had any questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A simple 'no' is sufficient here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Emilioooooo

ah yeah dara o briain is by far the funniest comedian in ireland, the panel is reali missin out, and they should bring him back!!!! also his connection wi the crowd in his own gigs is hysterical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Xavi6 wrote: »
    A simple 'no' is sufficient here.
    +1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Great to see this imposter has finally been rumbled - how he gets airtime on prime time national television beats me :confused:

May have been funny once - but sure as hell ain't funny or entertaining now - the games up pal - time to check out - you an that other unfunny idiot from Navan - Hector.

Past the sell by date.......off with ye now lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Was once - confuses humour with controversy now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eils87

td i think you of all people would not be the best judge of comedy you have one joke in which ive heard a million times from you a memory of fish or what the **** like....:mad::confused::mad::confused::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eils87

spa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

eils87, keep it on topic and relevant. You're in the Stand-Up Comedy forum now, not After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Tommy is terrible, its like he's tryin to force the joke onto you shouting and waving grabbing attention. like the kid who jst listened to his best mate tell a great joke and everyone laugh and then he tried to add in his bit and everyone just stands there and looks at each other shurgs, thats wat i get from tommy. Plus his impersonations are terrible! all whingey nasally bs!

dara is much more intellignet humour! and i dont mean IQ wise it just makes you think and laugh about it more because he gets you involved more.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SIBHCHEVIE

Raiser wrote: »
    Was once - confuses humour with controversy now.

Yea I would agree with you there, he's just being controversial for the sake of it and it's really annoying especially when he actually was very funny. Maybe the fame went to his head.

Dara on the other hand very funny, I saw him at the Cats laughs and he is so whitty. He uses a lot of people in the audience but does it well and doesn't make anyone feel uncomfortable unlike some Irish comedians who would rip you apart if you were in the front row.

Andrew Maxwell also very funny saw him at the Cats laughs too and the Fullmooners in Dublin couldn't stop laughing for the night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 tricky dickie

ah yeah dara o briain is by far the funniest comedian in ireland, the panel is reali missin out, and they should bring him back!!!! also his connection wi the crowd in his own gigs is hysterical

good one emiliooooo but anyone can connect with the crowd. but as i said before dara is good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I have to say that when he started he was great.. His 1 few DVDs where class.

But "Ok baby" and his new one are just bad... It's not funny the stuff he's saying or doing.. Just because he shouts it out doesnt make it funny.. I'm gone off him a bit after seeing his last 2 dvd's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Takestockholden

His last 2 DVDs were very poor. But at his peak, he was infinitely better than any of the other muppets. O'Briain, Bishop, Delamere, Byrne and the rest of them. Very poor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Yea Tiernan was funny. His first DVD is brilliant. One of the best ever. I also watched him in Dolans in Limerick just around the time that was released and he was brilliant there too.

Now he seems to focus his act on being loud and outrageous. he says the word F*uck wwaaaaaayyyyy too much. It seems like he is trying to get laughs of the word too much. and that is a sign of desperation. you don't have to say it constantly if you're very good. The pressure may have got to him. Darragh is the best now. Andrew maxwell was ok as was delamares. I got bill Baileys one is good.

On another note, billy connolly has really gone useless. I actually never liked his act anyway but now its not funny what so ever.

I agree with Takestockholden: Bishop and Byrne are so useless. utter ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

Personally, I've lightly chuckled at one or two moments in the few DVDs I've watched by him, unfunny and boorish, he'd be what Billy Connolly would be like if big Yin was completely unfunny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mrs Cole

I loved his first DVD...(the one where he's standing in front of the blue background), and "Loose" was brilliant. Saw the Bovinity show last year, thought it was ok, and didnt think much of OK Baby. He seems to really drag his jokes out..... 15 mins to tell one joke.

Went to PJ Gallagher in Vicar street back in november, and he was brilliant! Great laughs all round, however, i do think he's starting to replicate of bit of Tommy's style with regards to the shouting and arm waving. If he lays off that a bit, and sticks to being himself, PJ will be fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mistabutta

he is funny..but he is a very physical comedian which is not to some peoples liking..dara o'brien is good and was the only good comedian on the panel..but realised it was a dead end and left it.. imo the panel is probably one of the worst 'comedy' shows i have ever seen..who are these comedians??? where did they find them??? they are absolutely terrible..they are like a big bunch of attention seeking kids butting in and not letting people finish their sentences so they can get their unfunny jokes in..it's just embarrassing to watch..and so obvious that the main jokes are written out and pre run through beforehand..is the audience being gassed with nitrous oxide or something.. or being paid???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

He WAS that funny, now he is riding the cream crested wave of historical....eh?....cream?

But anyhow I went to see him xmas '08 and I was drunk and it was hilarious so deduce the buttons out of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

He WAS that funny, now he is riding the cream crested wave of historical....eh?....cream?

But anyhow I went to see him xmas '08 and I was drunk and it was hilarious so deduce the buttons out of that.

if you are drunk, he is funny! but then again so is everyone....

ive said this before, his first 2 dvds - solid gold, brilliantly funny, loose- funny but not to the same standard, ok baby and bovinity- an hour and a half of AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH down syndrome AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH maddie AAAHHHHHHHHHH

but when a guy can sell out 50-odd dates in vicar street as a comedian who doesnt tell jokes he's doin pretty damn well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

I really cannot emphasise this enough.
    NO!!!

I think, seeing archive footage, that he certainly had a promising start. However his act seems to have steadily descended into that of a raving lunatic, who feels he has to SCREAM at the audience to get his point across.

Daire O Briain FTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just no , someone should tell tommy just because you shout it doesnt make it funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭magicass

Just no , someone should tell tommy just because you shout it doesnt make it funny

i think that shouting is funny sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

magicass wrote: »

Me too. Just not when he ****ing does it.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

magicass wrote: »
    perhaps if shouting something funny??

Seriously though... he is not funny anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Some of the best laughs i've had is when watching him on the Late Late, and me ould gran just back from Sat night mass :D. Thought she'd have a stroke sometimes when he started on the religious stuff.
    Actually, it was probably funnier watching her freak out than watching tiernan himself, but still....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I love love love love love Tommy...

If you don't like him... then don't watch him. Simple as!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JohnnyIrvine666

Yes he is

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mawdz

Ya i find he is much to repeditive like are all his jokes about the travelling community and priests?????

Dylan Moran is the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

seen him 3 times live. First time was brilliant. Second time was ok and 3rd time I wanted to hop up on stage and kick him in the nuts until I was satisfied I got my moneys worth.
    He tries to hard to look tough and be contraversal. He is an embarrassment to Irish comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭vivadeadponies

tommy tiernan was brilliant at the start, kept it up for a good while, right up to loose(which probably has better material than the other dvds but awful editing).

i think he was in a failed sitcom or something in england that led to him not touring much outside ireland, here everyone(at the time) adored him anyway so he got lazy.
    the tour of the us didn't seem to have a positive impact either.

ok baby was godawful
    bovinity was even worse

dylan moran gets too easy of a time too, monster was his last hurrah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ham Sandwich

Dara all the way, definately the best of the three, and thats by a long shot. The Panel isnt the same without him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

"Tommy Tiernan, Is he reali that funny?"

No.

He's a crude, arrogant, hideously politically incorrect thug.

I don't understand what sort of person could find humour in disability.

Fair enough, if you want to curse and shout, but to poke fun at people who are physically disabled? That's not funny, that's sickening.

Clearly, he's not a believer of Karma!

He lacks the talent and sharp wit other comedians such as Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

I think tommy is funny enough,except he can go to far on some topics,and obviously he has got himself into a lot of trouble on the national broadcaster,namely the late late show.....,i listen to him on i105107 on fridays between 10am and 12pm.....his co-present hector o heochogain is more lively than tommy doe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 timba1210

Does anyone know if his Travellers bit is on any of his DVDs? I heard it on Sirius radio, but I would want to see him perform it befora making a judgement on its offensiveness.

Advertisement