Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DK Tanking Gear (and general Gear) Advice

• 25-11-2008 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi

Havn't seen too much about this in my 5 minutes of extensive research.

This whole melee swingin plate wearing lark is new to me. Main toon I have is caster dps (mage).

So, like everyone else, I've got a DK that I hope to use as a tank for instances and maybe raiding. He's Unholy.

I don't do PvP so I've never had to consider having one set of gear for one thing and another set for something else - it's always just been pew pew gear. I'm thinking, for my DK, he's gonna need items for dps / leveling and gear for tanking.

For any tanking in raids, obviously +hit is important but is+haste?

For melee dps, stats I reckon the important stats are strenght, agility and stamina. But in what order? How important is critical strike rating and attack power and how does it relate to str, agi and sta? What is attack power anyway?!

For tanking, is it armor>stamina>strenght? And what other stats are important? (Dodge rating? )

Many thanks!

PS: I presume Unholy DK's will be viable tanks against all bosses and not just against casters etc? Depending on which talents are used ofc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ive no idea about DK tanks, but im guessing that the usuals that warrior tanks needs will do. Obviously minus shield block value, as you wont be using a shield. So +stam/def/dodge/parry and hit rating.

Here is a nice link to DK tanking mechanics:
    http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t36998-dk_tanking_discussion/

And here is a spreadsheat you can populate which will work things out for you:
    http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t36314-dktankcraft_spread_sheet/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

thanks for that - looks helpful - tho it assumes some prior knowledge of dealing damage with melee attacks etc

i'll look up warrior noob stuff and take it from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i have tanked everything up as far as nexus, havent done any instances past that.

unbuffed in frost aura i have 15k hp at level 74

up untill the end instances it wont matter too much about gear, as long as your not in nab gear ofc. im in mostly blues atm all quest rewards or drops, nothing purchased.

have had no problem aoe tanking in utgarde and nexus.

if you wanna look at my spec and gear on armoury,

toon: Shadowkníght
    realm: laughing skull, horde side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

and yeh we can tank any boss not just casters, i have seen my threat at 25k when the closest dps is at 8k.

im unholy and have anti magic shield which is great, have 5 points in frost for the 15% armor and putting 5 in blood now for the parry.

ill change it about a bit at 80, but i have topped the dps charts in some runs when im not tanking.

look at my talent spec on the armory.

Advertisement