Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When do you have to get your provisional licence renewed?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 2:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have been out of the country for a while, I am returning now and want to do my driving test. I got my provisional before I left, which was 2 years and one month ago. I cant find the fecking thing so my questions are:

How long does a provisional licence last for, will it be out of date by now?

And if not how do I get a new copy of it, do I go to my local county council?

Any help much appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MzFusspot

I think it lasts for 2 years so probably out of date by now. I lost my last provisional and when I was getting my new one this time round I had to declare it lost in the Garda station and get a stamped and signed form from then and resubmit it with a new application form (which you can pick up in the Garda Station as well) and my passport, they don't accept copies of your passport, has to be the real deal so you can either send it registered post and they return it registered post or you can bring it into the motortax office to have an official copy made (although they don't mention the passport bit on the link below, I could have had to provide it as it was my second lost licence!) You'll also need 2 signed passport photos and a postal order/cheque for €15

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/DrivingLicences/Pages/LicencePermitReplacement.aspx#expired

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

How long does a provisional licence last for, will it be out of date by now?
    It depends on the circumstances of issuing. If it is a 1st or 2nd PL it will have been valid for two years. If it is a 3rd or subsequent PL, it will be valid for either 1 year or 2 years depending on whether one has applied for a driving test.

(If your PL has lapsed by more than 5 years, you'll be back to square one - theory test, 1st Learner Permit etc.)

Advertisement