Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sandyford Ski Centre

• 25-11-2008 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

yo

just stumbled across this

http://www.skicentre.ie/snowboard/

has anyone here had a go? i went snowboarding in austria for the first time last feb, had a good few lessons there too. Towards the end of the holiday i was starting to link my turns together and not fall as often but that was literally the last day.... I'd be interested in going up to see what i can still remember as I'm not going for a snowboarding holiday this year :(

Spent all that money on learning how to snowboard in austria... and now this seems like a great place to not forget it forever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Ive only heard stories of it, ive never been there myself.
    Ive heard that its like snowboarding on a tread mill. It really really hurts when you fall and that its quite expensive.
    Imo you better off going to Kilternan ( http://www.skiclub.ie/ ). I personally wouldnt waste my money on tread mill snowboarding when i can go to the artificial slopes and be outside in the lovely weather :P( haha )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

cheers,

but i also heard that those dry slopes hurt too! like especially if your hand goes in the hole things..

just was thinking that it would be handy to go to the other place as i work in sandyford.

mite might give it a go for one lesson or whatever way they do it and see how i get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭paddyb

havent seen the treadmill in sandyford but dry slopes are not very forgiving(technique wise) and it does hurt if you fall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

I did a taster session skiing session there just after it first opened.

It's basically a giant treadmill, wide enough to hold 3 people practicing.
    The instructor can switch it off instantly with a remote control and he can alter the angle and speed so it's a faster or more beginnery slope. I only fell over once and it wasn't sore. There's a railing at the bottom that you can hold onto which is handy as you're getting your balance as a beginner and there's a mirror in front of you so you can see if what you're doing looks right.

The spiel they give you is that it's better than a dry slope because you don't spend half your lesson climbing back up. I can't vouch for that because I haven't been out to Kilternan. I haven't skiied before either, so I can't tell you anything about the comparison. I really enjoyed it though, and my legs were sore for two days afterwards so I was definitley getting some form of a work out.

The taster session is ten minutes and free, you can't really go wrong if you go out and give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

cool cheers man,

i may aswell go up there for the 10 mins and see what the general story is.

will let ye know how i get on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Polarbear2020

Hey Danbhala, I say go for it!
    I joined the skicentre about 2weeks ago after I had a free trial, and Iv found it great. There is massive mirrors in front of the slopes so you can see exactly what your at, therefore fix problems much easier. Obviously its nowhere near as fun as skiing in snow but it certaintly better than no skiing at all.
    Plus I likethe way it allows you ski constantly, as opposed to Kilternan which is all over in a matter of seconds. Plus I personally find the surface much smother to ski on than in Kilternan, and first hand I can tell you I have had a good few tumbles on it and its not sore at all. The instructors normally have the slope stopped before you even hit the ground.
    I am not saying either or is better or worse, kilternan would suit better if your in the mood for messing around for a few hours. The ski centre seems to be more suitable for actual ski training.
    I know I prefer ski centre, but that is purely personal opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

im going skiing in december so i thought i would go up and have a lesson to kinda know what to expect. and i have to say i found it very good!!! the instructor i got was excellent and by the end of the hour had me up the top of the threadmill and skiing down turning from side to side and stopping before i got to the bar at the bottom!

the first time i let go of the bar i found my self on the ground fairly quickly!! and have to say it didnt hurt..

give it a go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'll have to have one of those ten minute freebe's just to see how this thing actually works, it just doesnt make much sence to me.

Would threadmill not just send you flying forward or backwards?

+
    Does kilternan scare anyone else or is that just me?
    I just get images in my head of falling and catching my fingers in the holes, and thus breaking them. D:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Looks like the 10 min freebie is gone, their now charging €10 for it, refundable against your first lesson.
    It looks quite good though, especially the mirror so you can see how you look. How often I've sat in chairlifts and analysed/ criticised skiiers but always wondered how I looked like myself.
    Unfortunately I can't afford those prices though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

For skiers bent on perfect technique I can imagine it'd be a good training aid, but I think the whole mountain experience and all that goes with it is better.........
    That's just me perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 foxymarrylou

Kilternan is good for learning to ski/board for literally the first time....after that it's lethal. I personally have 3 friends who broke their fingers or thumb by catching it in the holes. The surface is just nowhere near what real snow is like so kinda useless if you're intermediate, but definitely good for getting your balance.

This Sandyford place looks a little crazy,might give it a go!

Advertisement