Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Neighbours Extension (issues?)

Options
  • 25-11-2008 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

My Neighbours has a new extension build and it's quite a large extension. Basically the lenght of the back, wall to wall 1 story. with a sloping tiled roof.

So my question is I noticed that the builder just butted up to the side of the house for the brick work. Is this normal and would this not cause problem's in the furture if there was any movement ???

I was always lead to believe that you tie into the exsiting house brick work with any new extension (this is quite a large extension).

As its my Neighbour I dont want to start sticking me nose in but I also dont want them to be left with a lemon of an extension ...

Any advice

Garyh3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

garyh3 wrote: »
    My Neighbours has a new extension build and it's quite a large extension. Basically the lenght of the back, wall to wall 1 story. with a sloping tiled roof.

So my question is I noticed that the builder just butted up to the side of the house for the brick work. Is this normal and would this not cause problem's in the furture if there was any movement ???

I was always lead to believe that you tie into the exsiting house brick work with any new extension (this is quite a large extension).

As its my Neighbour I dont want to start sticking me nose in but I also dont want them to be left with a lemon of an extension ...

Any advice

Garyh3

I'm not a builder, so I'm no expert, but I'd go along with you. If you think of the existing wall being the cross bar of a "tee" and the new wall being the leg, then the only way I've ever seen it done is to fix steel rods in the mortar between the brickwork of the new wall, then coat them with bitumen or something and push them into holes drilled in the old wall. That allows the new wall to move away from the old slightly if its foundations drop a little, while not allowing it to move sideways. If that's not done, what's to stop it from falling over, since its end is not secured to anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

You buy wall starters in any builders providers and the wall should never ever move the founds should never sink if they do someone didint do there job right and its time to call there insurance

Advertisement