Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse to ride

Options
  • 25-11-2008 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

My boyfriend is learning to ride and is quite good for a beginner! But I would liket o teach him myself as I have seen the quality of teaching around and I am not impressed...

Does anyone know of anyone with a quite, well schooled horse that we could borrow once a week or so for 45 mins so he can learn?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

and I want her to be the one to teach me ;)

Any and all help appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

try looking up some websites such as Donedeal that might have horses on it for loan. Other than that, i would doubt you would get a horse that easily, i know i wouldnt be willing to lend a horse, quiet/schoolmaster whatever, to someone else to learn how to ride. Can he not go to a riding school to start off with to get to grips with the basic fundamentals? Bit risky taking on someone else's horse IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

Honestly if you are intent upon taking this that seriously then you must be moving toward ownership and if its only for fun then there are plenty of good schools if you,ll travel. Good luck in your endeavour though.:o

Go to a rididing school. I would never lend a horse out under those circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 giorgi

the problem with riding school instructors is that they are all ...not so good....the horses are worked to the bone. he is currently riding around in various stables...but it is prefered to teach on a one to one basis.

Doesnt matter, ill sort it out myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

giorgi wrote: »
    the problem with riding school instructors is that they are all ...not so good....the horses are worked to the bone. he is currently riding around in various stables...but it is prefered to teach on a one to one basis.

Doesnt matter, ill sort it out myself

Thats a pretty big brush your painting riding school instructors with:mad:, I am one now, and I am really quite offended at your comment> The thing is though your comment doesn't mean sh1t, I know I am good, my repeat customers, the smiling laughing children, the pupils gradually improving prove it. :cool:

Back on topic, I would never lend out a horse to someone i didn't know, to teach someone i didn't know, it opens up huge problems with insurance.

hey relax there, need to take it so frickin seriously. it only asked out of curiosity, i knew that i wouldnt come up trumps but hey, if you dont ask....

so just chill out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

hey relax there, need to take it so frickin seriously. it only asked out of curiosity, i knew that i wouldnt come up trumps but hey, if you dont ask....

so just chill out.

its not your asking for a horse that pisses me off, its this
    giorgi wrote:
    the problem with riding school instructors is that they are all ...not so good....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

the problem with riding school instructors is that they are all ...not so good....the horses are worked to the bone.

I'm novice rider (bordering on advancing from beginner), returning after a few years break and have experience of 2 yards and 2 instructors in the Maynooth area. One instructor was an employee and more than competent, the other is a yard owner/instructor and extremely capable.

I'm sure if you know the area well you will be able to find a competent, AIRE registered instructor able to match a healthy, calm horse & beginner rider. Shake a stick in a 20 Km or more, radius and there are so many choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

How can you classify all instructors as not good? How much experience have you had with them ALL? Maybe you had the odd bad experience but such is life, one bad egg doesnt mean the rest are bad. But, if you feel yourself to be more qualified than a qualified instructor then go ahead.
    Are you sufficiently insured (eg Public liability/personal insurance etc) to cover yourself and your other half and of course the horse,in the event that someone actually lends you a horse?

• Advertisement

I have had contact with man y many instructors and I have only found maybe one or two who are half decent. i just think for the prices being charged for lessons you get very little attention, classes can be too big sometimes, - you would want to see return for your hard earned money.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

skink wrote: »
    The thing is though your comment doesn't mean sh1t, I know I am good, my repeat customers, the smiling laughing children, the pupils gradually improving prove it.

Given your bias and self interest I would argue that your opinion matters even less

if you're truely sure you're that good, a generality as posted wouldn't bother you.... insecurity perhaps ;)

All right, there has been enough **** posted on this thread for one day.

Giorgi, I think you have your answer and please refrain from making such generalisations in future.

Elusiveguy, stop stirring it please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement