Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villareal V Man Utd Match Thread

• 25-11-2008 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

Didn't see a match thread for this yet so here we go.

United From: Foster, Kuszczak, Rafael, O'Shea, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Evra, Ronaldo, Park, Anderson, Fletcher, Carrick, Giggs, Nani, Rooney, Tevez, Possebon, Gibson, Manucho

Don't have the Villareal squad if any can find it please post it.

My pick for the Utd team would be

Foster
    -Rafael----Rio----Vidic----Evra
    -Ronaldo-Anderson-Fletcher--Nani
    Rooney---Tevez

Cant see Fergie taking to many chances at the start of this match but he will use the squad (Rafeal,Anderson, Flethcer, Nani) depending on how the match goes we could see some of the youngsters brought in. Best bet is to get the result tonight and leave that last game for the kids.

Comments

Hope Tevez has a gud game. He needs one for the confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Hope Tevez has a gud game. He needs one for the confidence.

He also doesn't need to see Rossi have a good game. :)

I like they way the media have tried to build this up into some kind of trial for the two players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Is Ronaldo fit ?

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Is Ronaldo fit ?

Trained yesterday. Fergie said he wants to rest him, but Ronaldo is telling Fergie he wants to play so apparently he will play.

Off course he would. Its a chance to show the Spanish what they have been missing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Villareal 3 (Rossi x3)

United 0

Only going for 3-0 as super sub Llorente is injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He'll get marked out of the game by whatever fullback he comes up against, and Senna.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Villareal 3 (Rossi x3)

United 0

Only going for 3-0 as super sub Llorente is injured.

30-1 for the scoreline and 100-1 for the hat-trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Villareal 3 (Rossi x3)

Rossi dragged off at half time at the weekend, as Villareal were hammered 0-3 at home to Valladolid

I'll give you 1000/1, pm me your paypal details. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The Pole will play ahead of Foster
    Ronaldo wants to play, Ferguson is a bit apprehensive
    (according to the website!)
    It'll defo be Rafa at RB, and obviously without Berbatov it'll be Tevez and Rooney up front.
    Depending on whether we get a good start, one would think that Manucho and maybe Gibson might get a look-in at the end.
    I wouldn't mind Evans playing tonight either... Rio had a back injury as recently as last week, so it might be a good idea to rest him.

PIG
    -Rafael----Vidic----Evans----Evra
    Rooney---Tevez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This match finished nil all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Dave! wrote: »
    The Pole will play ahead of Foster
    Ronaldo wants to play, Ferguson is a bit apprehensive
    (according to the website!)
    It'll defo be Rafa at RB, and obviously without Berbatov it'll be Tevez and Rooney up front.
    Depending on whether we get a good start, one would think that Manucho and maybe Gibson might get a look-in at the end.
    I wouldn't mind Evans playing tonight either... Rio had a back injury as recently as last week, so it might be a good idea to rest him.

PIG
    -Rafael----Vidic----Evans----Evra
    Rooney---Tevez
    Dissapointed to see The Pole start because I really dont think he is ever going to be number 1 whereas I think Foster has more potential to be so would much prefer to see him start in these type of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

monkey9 wrote: »
    This match finished nil all

time traveller?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Is Ronaldo fit ?

Yeah, some people would say he's pretty hot ;)
    dubmick wrote: »
    time traveller?

He's making a pun based on the Aton Villa/ Villareal name similarity. I think :confused:

Hopefully United to pull off a 3-2 victory. I'm looking forward to seeing the match anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Draw, or a United loss, imo.

They aren't firing on even half cylinders up top at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

An Fhile wrote: »

He's making a pun based on the Aton Villa/ Villareal name similarity. I think :confused:.

No, more pedantic than that. I'm saying this fixture already took place back in September

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

monkey9 wrote: »
    No, more pedantic than that. I'm saying this fixture already took place back in September

Pedantic and somewhat pessimistic!

At least we only need a draw to go through...

Yeah.

It's Villareal -vs- Manchester, isn't it?

Des wrote: »
    Yeah.

It's Villareal -vs- Manchester, isn't it?

Ding-ding! He's got it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I'd like to see Possebon and Rafeal start anyways, Possebon has the potential more so than Gibson I think, would like to see him in this kind of game, if not this game then definitely against Aaborg at home next gameweek.
    Foster has to play, but he won't. I don't see what Fergie see's in Tommy K, he's pretty cack imo.
    2-0 to Villareal I will go with unfortunately, Senna will rule the roost in midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Allborg gave this outfit a tough time home and away. Anyway this match stinks of a draw already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Draw, or a United loss, imo.

They aren't firing on even half cylinders up top at the moment.

You are aware Villareal were whopped 3 - 0 by Valladolid at the weekend right ?

Valladolid are a mid-table team at best, probably a bit lower even.

RasTa wrote: »
    Allborg gave this outfit a tough time home and away. Anyway this match stinks of a draw already.

Whats the odds on a 0-0 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Utd are already through - only way they cannot go through is if they lose this and lose to Aalborg at home by more than 3 goals so expect Fergie to give it that much imortance.

Doesn't looks like much of an advatage to top groups this year either.

redout wrote: »
    You are aware Villareal were whopped 3 - 0 by Valladolid at the weekend right ?

Valladolid are a mid-table team at best, probably a bit lower even.

This is the CL not La Liga, or the EPL.

I stand by my prediction.

The way November has been going for United I'd be inclined to agree with Des, but I'm not going to 1-3 to United marching onwards to kick the blue out of City on Sunday. :pac:

Well I very much doubt we will be beaten. Draw is certainly a fair bet, even without some key players we should be able to muster something against Villareal. Villareal have lost one and drawn one of their last two games so they are by no means in a rich vein of form.

even without some key players we should be able to muster something against Villareal.

Couldn't in the first match.

And now United are looking fairly toothless in attack.

Muster what, exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I think United should win. Villareal are having a tough enough time in La Liga this season aren't they?

I've heard very vague rumours that Cazorla and Fernandez are potential targets for United.

r

• Advertisement

r

Good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I wouldn't be too confident tonight, Villareal will be well up for this. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

Even without Ronaldo, Carrick, Brown, Berbatov, Scholes and Vidic, in the first match United still created over 20 chances.

Ronaldo, Carrick and Vidic should start tonight, aswell as Anderson.

As for United being "toothless" in attack, people should really stop basing their assumptions on one match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Villareal are normally an awful lot better at home, but i still have to fancy United for tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

r

Is it Speak Like A Pirate Day already?

I don't know, any defense that lets in 5 (3 at home) against AAB wouldn't instill be with confidence.

• Advertisement

I think Boards is gone a bit Pete Doherty, it is doing some strange things on my end.

kida wrote: »
    Utd are already through - only way they cannot go through is if they lose this and lose to Aalborg at home by more than 3 goals so expect Fergie to give it that much imortance.

Doesn't looks like much of an advatage to top groups this year either.

Are you smoking the Wacky Tobacky brother ! On current standing's we would face:

Roma
    Anorthosis Famagusta
    Sporting Lisbon
    Villarreal
    Bayern Munich
    FC Porto
    Real Madrid

Compare that to coming second and having to face:

Inter Milan
    Barcelona
    Atletico Madrid
    Lyon
    Juventus

I know I would certainly much rather place first and play the first group of teams.

Couldn't in the first match.

Muster what, exactly?

A draw perhaps ? Just like the first match when you say they mustered nothing with half a team missing yet still came away with a point !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

As much as I'd like us to win 2/3-0, I think it'll be a draw. Hope I'm proved wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Tonight's Team

KUSZCZAK

O SHEA
    RIO
    EVANS
    EVRA

RONALDO
    CARRICK
    ANDERSON
    FLETCHER
    NANI

ROONEY

BENCH
    FOSTER , VIDIC, RAFAEL, GIGGS, PARK , GIBSON ,TEVEZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I can only hope this is in preperation of our away 451 that got us through Europe last season. That or Tevez took a knock...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I cant believe Tevez isnt starting tbh.

Really strange line up selected. Could be a 4-5- or 4-5-2. Won't really see until they line up.

PIG

O'Shea-Ferdinand--Evans-Evra----
    Ronaldo-Carrick-Anderson-Fletcher-Nani
    Rooney

PIG

Ronaldo----Carrick---Fletcher
    Nani
    Anderson

Rooney

PIG
    -O'Shea----Ferdinand----Evans---Evra-
    Nani----Carrick
    Fletcher-Anderson
    Rooney--Ronaldo

Very very surprised that Tevez is not starting. I can't believe he is too happy about that. His future at Utd is more in doubt every week. I know I'm not his biggest fan as I pointed out in the Man Utd thread, but he should be starting if Berb or Rooney is out.

Always hate when Utd go for a draw, which the line up looks like. Makes for a very bad night unless Anderson and Ronaldo can support Rooney enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Looks like he's chosen to play Anderson in his actual position instead for going to Tevez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Really strange line up selected. Could be a 4-5- or 4-5-2. Won't really see until they line up.

PIG

Ronaldo-Carrick-Anderson-Fletcher-Nani
    Rooney

PIG

Ronaldo----Carrick---Fletcher
    Nani
    Anderson

Rooney

PIG
    -O'Shea----Ferdinand----Evans---Evra-
    Nani----Carrick
    Fletcher-Anderson
    Rooney--Ronaldo

Very very surprised that Tevez is not starting. I can't believe he is too happy about that. His future at Utd is more in doubt every week. I know I'm not his biggest fan as I pointed out in the Man Utd thread, but he should be starting if Berb or Rooney is out.

Always hate when Utd go for a draw, which the line up looks like. Makes for a very bad night unless Anderson and Ronaldo can support Rooney enough

I don't think Utd are playing for a draw at all. It's a 4-2-3-1 of sorts I'm sure. At least the team will adapt that going forward. Ferguson obviously believes we've got what it takes to beat Villareal and we have, and is using this game to experiment somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Tevez seems to have fallen out of favour with Fergie.

O Shea :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

4-5-2? Yes please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

4-5-2? Yes please!

Shhhhh. Dont tell Villareal our secret tactic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Watching this on ITV, cant be doing with Dunphy tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement