Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Villareal V Man Utd Match Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Cruijff wrote: »
    Hardly anything good to take away from this game, except maybe Rio and Jonny played very well, along with Carrick who was excellent.

Terrible game

Ronaldo was an absolute sulky ponce throughout the night, terrible performance, every pass he got that he fupped up was the passers fault.

As for the his antics in getting Capedevila sent off, disgraceful, sick off his bullsh!te antics, sulky twonk.

What antics. He got caught, and went down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I think the word Histronics, made it look completely worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

The RTE lads don't like flicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Brilliant stuff from rte:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff from rte:D

I think the word Histronics, made it look completely worse.

Very very few players will take studs into the thigh and then hop up with a smile on their face and go ah sure its grand. I don't mind some studs in my thigh every now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

What antics. He got caught, and went down.

I don't think Chong was referring to the challenge, but Ronaldo reacting to the crowd's jeers. Jesus like, I know people will think he was just messing around with the fans, but professional players need to be able to block out abuse from opposition players. Especially considering Capdevila got a red, he could have got the most deserved red card ever for stabbing Ronaldo, but the crowd would still jeer, it's to be expected. Ronaldo needs to stop letting that stuff get to him.

Very very few players will take studs into the thigh and then hop up with a smile on their face and go ah sure its grand. I don't mind some studs in my thigh every now and again.
    Ah Al he just p!sses me off and I wanted to rant :)

eZe^ wrote: »
    I don't think Chong was referring to the challenge, but Ronaldo reacting to the crowd's jeers. Jesus like, I know people will think he was just messing around with the fans, but professional players need to be able to block out abuse from opposition players. Especially considering Capdevila got a red, he could have got the most deserved red card ever for stabbing Ronaldo, but the crowd would still jeer, it's to be expected. Ronaldo needs to stop letting that stuff get to him.

Unless he does a Drogba, or Cantona to the fans I couldn't care less. I don't think it effects his performance.

He was just **** tonight. Like the rest of the team. Cant think of one good performance apart from our defence look solid, but they were never under pressure and even still managed to come with some stupid moments.
    Ah Al he just p!sses me off and I wanted to rant :)

Fair enough. Doesn't mean you won't get people disagreeing with you.

Unless he does a Drogba, or Cantona to the fans I couldn't care less. I don't think it effects his performance.

He was just **** tonight. Like the rest of the team. Cant think of one good performance apart from our defence look solid, but they were never under pressure and even still managed to come with some stupid moments.

If opposition fans see that they can get to him like in the past two games, it could actually effect his performances on the field, so he needs to relax and block out any boos from opposition fans.

Fair enough. Doesn't mean you won't get people disagreeing with you.
    I know I just wanted to moan, it annoyed me no end watching him play tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

uh-oh, rooney diving. should start a thread on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dunphy and Giles blaming Rooneys dip in form on Ronaldo. Hilarious.

Can't wait for Dunphy's column this week.

"Ronaldo (23) cause of down turn in global markets"

Boggles wrote: »
    Dunphy and Giles blaming Rooneys dip in form on Ronaldo. Hilarious.

Can't wait for Dunphy's column this week.

"Ronaldo (23) cause of down turn in global markets"

But they are the best pundits around :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Does anyone now how the group will be sorted if both Utd and Villareal win the final game since the head to head is identical ? Will it be goal difference or...

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Does anyone now how the group will be sorted if both Utd and Villareal win the final game since the head to head is identical ? Will it be goal difference or...

Personally I think both teams should be docked 3 points for that shíté.

Think it goes to goal difference doesn't it?

Boggles wrote: »
    Personally I think both teams should be docked 3 points for that shíté.

Think it goes to goal difference doesn't it?

Yup, and then if that's the same, it goes to goals scored, then goals conceded, then an final playoff game. (Well that's how it works in La Liga anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Yup, and then if that's the same, it goes to goals scored, then goals conceded, then an final playoff game. (Well that's how it works in La Liga anyway)

Don't there'll be a playoff game. It all is equal they will toss for it. Ronaldo will represent Utd :pac::pac:

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Don't there'll be a playoff game. It all is equal they will toss for it. Ronaldo will represent Utd :pac::pac:

Ah a game of soggie biscuit, Primo up there would definitely win it for United. :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

if they were equal on overall goal difference and goal scored, surely they wouldn't check goals conceded...

mayordenis wrote: »
    if they were equal on overall goal difference and goal scored, surely they wouldn't check goals conceded...

Hahahaha

img_2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Flicking back and forth between this and the Arsenal game I was actually wishing I could see Aalborg/Celtic.

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    Flicking back and forth between this and the Arsenal game I was actually wishing I could see Aalborg/Celtic.

Mike

If you have Sky you could have it was on a channel called Scottish TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm a Sky refusenik, a bit of me is slightly suprised RTE didn't screen it as ITV1 had Utd.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm a Sky refusenik, a bit of me is slightly suprised RTE didn't screen it as ITV1 had Utd.

Mike

they show united-> they show ronaldo -> dunphy rants and raves about how ronaldo is a disgrace to the game of football and should be killed = ratings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

they show united-> they show ronaldo -> dunphy rants and raves about how ronaldo is a disgrace to the game of football and should be killed = ratings!
    The routine is tired now and warrants no further discussion.
    Tonights game was poor in the extreme but qualification secured, that'll do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Hold on just a minute, it's not about ratings, will you please think of the children that are exposed to cRonaldo and his decadent ways. That's the real issue, IMVHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Just saw the highlights. Horrible displays of cheating by Rooney and Ronaldo imo. I forgot tho, Englishmen don't dive. :rolleyes: The ref should have been given a red card and fined himself for his display for 3 reasons.

1. For the decision to book the player who fouled Ronaldo in the first half. It should have been waved play on. Yes it was a foul but the ball got to where Ronaldo wanted it to go and the tackle was nothing close to a yellow.
    2. For not booking Rooney for cheating. (imo diving should be punished with a red card - that would stamp it out a bit quicker).
    3. For giving a straight red to the Villareal player. The tackle just about qualified as a yellow, but because Ronaldo went down screaming like he was having an abortion, its a red.

/rant

Fizman wrote: »
    Just saw the highlights. Horrible displays of cheating by Rooney and Ronaldo imo. I forgot tho, Englishmen don't dive. :rolleyes: The ref should have been given a red card and fined himself for his display for 3 reasons.

Why bring Rooneys nationality into it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

1. For the decision to book the player who fouled Ronaldo in the first half. It should have been waved play on. Yes it was a foul but the ball got to where Ronaldo wanted it to go and the tackle was nothing close to a yellow.
    2. For not booking Rooney for cheating. (imo diving should be punished with a red card - that would stamp it out a bit quicker).
    3. For giving a straight red to the Villareal player. The tackle just about qualified a a yellow, but because Ronaldo went down screaming like he was having an abortion, its a red.

Just about a yellow? A stubs up 'tackle' on the knee is 'just about a yellow'? I hope you never become a ref. Ronaldo's reaction was poor (i do reckon it did hurt - your knee wouldn't get marked as he was without it being sore but he overplayed it) but it was a terrible tackle. Ref gave Villareal some very soft free kicks - such as the one where Ronaldo didn't allow himself to be used as a leaning post and the villareal player fell over, and one for a 'tackle' from Tevez just after the red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cause he dived, twice, like a little *****. Very annoyed with him for both of them.

so just say he dived, no need to bring his nationality into it.

He should have got a red.

Basically in reference to the commentators and pundits who seem to subscribe to the idea that diving is strictly a European hobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The tackle on Ronaldo was a sending off too, especially when you see the stud marks on the thigh.

Was a red card, but Ronaldo made himself look like a cheat yet again. he wasnt cheating as it was a dangerous studs up tackkle on the knee but Id love to see him stand up like Keano and give a player "the look" for that! unfortunately Ronaldo just isnt as intimidating as Roymond!

unsuprisingly another bland nil aller between these 2 teams. If UEFA have any sense they'll rig all future draws and make sure United and Villareal NEVER play each other again. It would be too soon.

Basically in reference to the commentators and pundits who seem to subscribe to the idea that diving is strictly a European hobby.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Yes Rooney is a dirty diving cheat but its not his fault, its in the culture of footballers from Liverpool(Gerrard, Owen and Joey Barton lacks moral principles too) that they just have the need to dive.

That's probably the most unbelievable thing I've ever heard in my life.

Yes Rooney is a dirty diving cheat but its not his fault, its in the culture of footballers from Liverpool(Gerrard, Owen and Joey Barton lacks moral principles too) that they just have the need to dive.

Jesus.
    Troll much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

The tackle on Ronaldo was disgraceful, and the player should have been sent off, no question. To me it looked like the guys marking Ronaldo were being egged on by the crowds. He did himself FA favours with his reactions though, and he probably deserved more than just a yellow for his antics. I thought Fergie would have subbed him before the end tbh.

I don't ever remember Rooney cheating the way he did tonight. He also should have seen red for the blantancy of both dives. It may be a result of his frustration, but it was just embarrasing to see.

Nani looks lost on the pitch, i doubt if any Manu supporters see a future for him at the club, he just doesn't seem to have the game. Anderson actually started off quite well, but dropped into his bad habits of loose passing and bad positional play in the 2nd half.

I thought Carrick played ok, but again his concentration lacked at certain times. Evans seemed to do what was asked of him, and I thought Rio and Evra were probably the best players for Manu on the pitch.

Rossi showed why Manu were right to get rid of him, and although he seems to be doing the business for them in the league, he was way out of his depth.

Overall Villareal are a mediocre team, and Manu should have put them away. The game was painful to watch, and was probably the worst game I have seen this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Rooney always dives. It's embarrassing but then, Steven Gerrard does it, Chelsea have a few divers, United have more, Pool have more Arsenal have some. It's not a stick to beat the others with. It's a crucial aspect of playing to win. Sadly it's grubby and badly done.

3. For giving a straight red to the Villareal player. The tackle just about qualified as a yellow, but because Ronaldo went down screaming like he was having an abortion, its a red.

/rant

That seems all perfectly fair and balanced. :D
    Hobart wrote: »
    Rossi showed why Manu were right to get rid of him, and although he seems to be doing the business for them in the league, he was way out of his depth.

I thought United were right to get rid of Rossi but I don't think the lad should be hanged for last nights performance, there was no link up play with him and he was basically marked by 4 defenders.
    Was a red card, but Ronaldo made himself look like a cheat yet again. he wasnt cheating as it was a dangerous studs up tackkle on the knee but Id love to see him stand up like Keano and give a player "the look" for that! unfortunately Ronaldo just isnt as intimidating as Roymond!

I have read that a few times, I can't make sense of it, was there drink taken? :pac: