Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alpha Romeo GTV

Options
  • 25-11-2008 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

hey..
    I have been looking at this 01 Alpha Romeo GTV, see link below. does anyone know much about the car, i have read such mixed reviews. People seem to really enjoy driving it but there is the issue with the unreliability of an Alpha Romeo.. anyone have first hand experience with this kind of car.. looks great i think and i'm sure it would be a great car to drive.. is it worth the risk?

any input would be much appreciated...

cheers

http://www.carlist.ie/vehicles/view/114711-alfa-romeo-gtv-cork?r=/vehicles/71,500/-9000/*/*/flat/

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Alpha :D

p.s. I really like the look of it, but buy carefully, and check everything very thoroughly. A good car, that's been well minded could be a great purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

ok

first of all its Alfa
    A.L.F.A.

right, nice car, 76k miles means that the engine should be due its second timimg belt, check for rattley sound on start up, it the engine is rattley, its usually the cam variator, that should be changed with the timimg belt.

otherwise its just the usual checks, same as any car

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭user_name_d

dope.. how did i make that mistake :D

cheers for the replies.. gonna take a look at it tomorrow and will be looking out for the things you mentioned.. heard that the timing belt should be replaced every 36k with the GTV.. should it be heading for its 3rd in this case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

heard that the timing belt should be replaced every 36k with the TGV

This is the Motors forum, mate, you want Rec > Trains > French > Ooh-La-La

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

dope.. how did i make that mistake :D

cheers for the replies.. gonna take a look at it tomorrow and will be looking out for the things you mentioned.. heard that the timing belt should be replaced every 36k with the TGV.. should it be heading for its 3rd in this case?

2nd change = 3rd belt and ancilliaries.

• Advertisement

Zube wrote: »
    This is the Motors forum, mate, you want Rec > Trains > French > Ooh-La-La

wow.. work has my brain fried.. i'll get my coat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

My sister had one a few years ago and apart from a couple of engines a gearbox and a suspension rebuild every couple of years it was a great car and no rust worries either, oh and a couple of electrical issues too.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

buy carefully, and check everything very thoroughly. A good car, that's been well minded could be a great purchase.

+1

Great cars, but will cost more than average to own. Personally I would only buy one with a full service history from an enthusiast. And bring someone who knows these cars. And I'd go for the 3l V6

Seriously, have you sat into one yet? It's a pretty tight squeeze for me at 6 ft, and that letterbox windscreen is kind of claustraphobic.

Zube wrote: »
    Seriously, have you sat into one yet? It's a pretty tight squeeze for me at 6 ft

Did the one you were in have a sunroof maybe? I had no trouble sitting in one without a sunroof and I'm nearly 6'2. My best mate has owned a GTV for years and he is 6'4 - no complaints from him...

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Did the one you were in have a sunroof maybe? I had no trouble sitting in one without a sunroof and I'm nearly 6'2. My best mate has owned a GTV for years and he is 6'4 - no complaints from him...

no complaints about the height or no complaints in general? i'm just below 6ft- 5'11".. so should be alright.. i hear they are ridiculously small in the back.. but back seats are for coats and the occasional case of beer!

gonna have to be checking it thoroughly when i see it so..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

+1

Great cars, but will cost more than average to own. Personally I would only buy one with a full service history from an enthusiast. And bring someone who knows these cars. And I'd go for the 3l V6

+2, all he said

Its a lovely colour combination next to red with cream leather or black with red leather

Do your homework on them.

Log onto Alfaowner.com and go to the Rep of Ireland Section. Lots of Cork lads on there that will gladly point you in the right direction or even help you more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

junkyard wrote: »
    ...a great car and no rust worries either....;)

A less-than-damning Alfa comment? WHO are you and WHAT have you done with junkyard???;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I never really 'got' the GTV, it had a nice arse but the 156 appealed to me more in every other way. Have a look at the FIAT Coupé too, it was the GTV's closest competitor.

Did the one you were in have a sunroof maybe?

Yes.

no complaints about the height or no complaints in general?

No complaints in general, but then again he's an Alfa nut. He doesn't even mind the yearly bills :D

@zube - sunroofs somehow seem to be able to steal a good few inches of headroom!
    i hear they are ridiculously small in the back..

Yes they are. My mate converted his to run on LPG so his boot is completely gone as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I would pay a little less than that is advertised for. Bear in mind that in a few weeks it will be an 8 year old car and 7 grand seems a bit steep. I reckon you could knock at least 2k off that asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

There's a fella on alfaireland selling one that sounds like it's been looked after fairly well.

http://www.alfaireland.ie/index.php?option=com_marketplace&page=show_ad&catid=1&adid=74&Itemid=29

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    There's a fella on alfaireland selling one that sounds like it's been looked after fairly well.

http://www.alfaireland.ie/index.php?option=com_marketplace&page=show_ad&catid=1&adid=74&Itemid=29

saw this car a few weeks ago at the meet in Athlone....

a nice example and you know its been taken care of if it was Micks

Cheers for all the replies..

Was hoping to take a look at it today, but not gonna make it to cork until the afternoon, so hopefully tomorrow. Have emailed the dealer to get more specifics on the car. Hopefully he will be able to give me a good idea of the condition of the car before i make the journey.

I was wondering alright if i should be asking for less than the asking the asking price as we are so close to end of year and as I've heard, "its a buyers market".. would it be crazy to ask for 2k off straight off the bat.. will be paying in cash also!

That 1996 alfa looks great.. its 5 years older than the one i'm looking at and i would think will require alot more maintenance, but then it does seem to be well looked after!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

don't worry about the age. with these cars it's all about the service history.

If you want to aim a little higher you could always buy my 1999 3.0 V6 :)

3ps wrote: »
    you could always buy my 1999 3.0 V6 :)

I thought you only got that one. Selling already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I'm putting both it and my GTJ up for sale and we'll see which is the first that sells.

I'm pushing the GTJ though and I wouldn't mind keeping the GTV but I'd mod it a bit.

Well i checked out the car and sad to say but it was a very unloved car. The bodywork had numerous scratches on it, signs of rust on the lower bonnet and tires looked worn and there wasn't a sign of an NCT done on it.
    A shame really.. I will keep looking but think i'm gonna leave it until the new year..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Those aren't issues that'd put me off I have to say. There are other more relevent things to check on any ALFA.
    The GTV bonnet is plastic so I dunno about rust, bodywork can be detailed and worn tyres replaced.
    I'd be interested in the quantity and condition of oil in the sump, the integrity of suspension bushes and the all-too-important service history. Belts, tensioners and variator should be changed unless there's hard evidence they've been done recently.
    But if it gives you a bad feeling you're as well to walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

In today's climate, I wouldn't even consider a GTV in obvious need of work. Cheaper by far to wait for the one that's been loved and needs nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hartytkd

This GTV has been for sale for over 6 months. I was looking at buying an alfa earlier this year and noticed it then. Never got as far as seeing it though, ended up buying a 156.

You should be able to get a better one for less than 7k. Make sure the suspension is in good shape - the rear bushings wear out and are expensive to replace. The timing belt interval is 36k miles. A service history or evidence of frequent oil changes would be a plus..

good luck

Ya.. i kind of agree.. I would have no problem taking on a car that needed some work put in to it... but by the look of the exterior i wouldn't even like to know how much work was needed under the bonnet or anywhere else..

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hartytkd

It's so hard to find an old car in good cosmetic nick. Why don't people look after their cars better!
    Due to the (lovely) shape of a GTV I reckon even a small door ding will show up clearly. Black paint will also tend to show up scratches and stone chips more than a lighter colour like silver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement