Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tapas in Galway

Options
  • 25-11-2008 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

hi,
    (if this should be in food and drink please move).
    I know Cava is open in Galway City- I haven't been there yet, anyone able to give me a review of it? it's good that Cava has opened but a pity that it looks like a basic restaurant and not a tapas bar (e.g. like a bar with some tables, low lighting etc).
    Anyonw know anywhere else that does tapas and any good? I think one of the places along the docks does.

Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Bar No. 8 on the docks is where you're thinking of. I had a meal in Cava about 6 weeks ago. Not tapas but it was awesome. I recommend the place.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've eaten twice in Cava, the first time it was during Raceweek and me and my friend went to town on the tapas, it was all so delicious and brilliant.

The second time was on a Saturday about a month ago, the tapas wasn't great, a lot was overcooked and the ingredients didn't seem as good (eg, the squid was squid rings whereas before it was the whole fresh baby squid tentacles and all).

The service was also poo the second time, we were in there for a good 3 and a half hours and left without dessert.

However, the first time I went was such a positive experience I'm putting this down as a once off and will probably try there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I heard the cottage bar in salthill do Tapas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I heard the cottage bar in salthill do Tapas

Yep, I'm very close to the Cottage and the tapas in there are nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

cornbb wrote: »
    Yep, I'm very close to the Cottage and the tapas in there are nyom.

Yup they do and it is yum yum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I love the grub at the Cottage and would recommend it, but to a lot of folks, it is not quite the 'norm' of tapas food. Yummy nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What are the prices like for tapas in Galway? I've only ever had tapas over in Spain and they can be pricey enough there (by Spanish standards), I remember it at something like €1 - €4 a plate. I don't see the point in paying high prices for Spanish bar food.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

Javas do tapas too,

the prices in general in galway for tapas €4-9 are only really worth it for the novelty, albeit a very tasty novelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Sheridans cheese shop has a place up stairs where they do cheese plates and tapas (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

There were 12 of us in Cava about 10 days back and had a great time. Food was excellent and the staff treated us well.

It was a friends birthday and they did a plate with writing on it especially even though we only told them a little while beforehand why we were there. Small things like this are worth it!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I've been to Cava twice and both times was great. Not too pricey and some interesting stuff on the menu. Food was fantastic apart from one dish which they took back without complaint.

The cottage in salthill is alright. Good to munch along with a few pints or instead of pub grub but not for a fancy meal out.

I thought the number 8 was cack. Only ate there once but I wouldn't go back. It was cheap but nasty.

Sheridans on the docks does cheese plates and olives and titbits. Really good stuff but not a huge amount on offer. Again good for beer munchies (although it's hard not to over indulge in cheese which is never good with alcohol!)

Mmmmm food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

dafunk wrote: »
    I've been to Cava twice and both times was great. Not too pricey and some interesting stuff on the menu. Food was fantastic apart from one dish which they took back without complaint.

The cottage in salthill is alright. Good to munch along with a few pints or instead of pub grub but not for a fancy meal out.

I thought the number 8 was cack. Only ate there once but I wouldn't go back. It was cheap but nasty.

Sheridans on the docks does cheese plates and olives and titbits. Really good stuff but not a huge amount on offer. Again good for beer munchies (although it's hard not to over indulge in cheese which is never good with alcohol!)

Mmmmm food.
    +1 for Sherridan's. I'm addicted to their hummous and olive plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Ate in Cava on Sat and was very pleased with it, will go there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gaoithin

Cava is OK, but even though the menu lists authentic Spanish dishes and tapas the food you are served doesn't taste authentically Spanish. It's not horrible food, but it's definitely not Spanish!

I lived in Spain for two years and was so excited about a Spanish restaurant opening in Galway, but ended up disappointed. The food was overpriced, the paella had no flavour, chickpeas were undercooked, but the worst of all was the churros. Churros are supposed to be really light stips of dough, but the ones in Cava were more like stodgy pieces of fried bread coated in sugar. I managed to eat half of one before giving up.

It's as though the people in Cava read about Spanish food, but never actually experienced it for themselves so the food there is their attempt at it. I've since found out that the chef isn't even Spanish so that might explain it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Gaoithin wrote: »
    Cava is OK, but even though the menu lists authentic Spanish dishes and tapas the food you are served doesn't taste authentically Spanish. It's not horrible food, but it's definitely not Spanish!

I lived in Spain for two years and was so excited about a Spanish restaurant opening in Galway, but ended up disappointed. The food was overpriced, the paella had no flavour, chickpeas were undercooked, but the worst of all was the churros. Churros are supposed to be really light stips of dough, but the ones in Cava were more like stodgy pieces of fried bread coated in sugar. I managed to eat half of one before giving up.

It's as though the people in Cava read about Spanish food, but never actually experienced it for themselves so the food there is their attempt at it. I've since found out that the chef isn't even Spanish so that might explain it!

Was my thoughts exactly - they have obviously sourced good quality ingredients on my visit a while back, so the cold dishes were great, but thought the chef had a heavy hand and was disappointed with the overall quality of cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

Webbs wrote: »
    Was my thoughts exactly - they have obviously sourced good quality ingredients on my visit a while back, so the cold dishes were great, but thought the chef had a heavy hand and was disappointed with the overall quality of cooking

I wasn't too impressed with Cava either having spent a summer in Spain. You're a bit squashed in there too.

Advertisement