Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play.com

Options
  • 25-11-2008 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Anyone else use this site? A colleague gave me a link, so I decided to order a couple of things for the other half for Christmas. This was at the start of November. My colleague ordered stuff around the same time. She received her order within a few days. Still no sign of mine. I logged on to the site and my order is still there, but listed as having been placed, but not yet processed. There is a UK phone number on the site, which I am unable to get through to.

I can't find any other way to contact them. Does anyone else have any suggestions that might help?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

In the exact same position OP. Made order 2 weeks ago. Order status has yet to change from "order placed".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Just sent them an email to the address that they provided when I set up the account: [EMAIL="'info@play.com'"]'info@play.com'[/EMAIL]

Got an automatic email back saying 'This mailbox is unattended'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

That's very unusual for them. When I've had difficulties in the past i.e. they double posted an order to me, they've been very accessible and prompt in their response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AvrilLavigne

Sometimes an order will be delayed if an item is out of stock.

Both my items are currently in stock, and have been since day 1...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Unusual, I ordered stuff last wednesday/thursday I think it was and it arrived this morning. Never had any problems with play.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

I've ordered many times from them with no problems!

dcr22B wrote: »
    That's very unusual for them. When I've had difficulties in the past i.e. they double posted an order to me, they've been very accessible and prompt in their response.
    How have you been able to contact them? Because I can't seem to...

Mine have been in stock since I ordered also... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I only had a problem once with play. Something I ordered and was charged for never came. Rang the number on the site and I was sorted out there and then. They are a very reputable site OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I have also used them in the past without any problems but as reputable as they may be, I'm sure they (and others) often use the 'In Stock' caption for items that may not actually be in stock at that moment in time because we all know if a potential customer sees 'Out of Stock' they will simply not wait and instead go to another website.
    Pixmania I'm almost certain use this tactic.

1 of the 5 items that I ordered has changed in status to 'order taken'. The other 4 are still 'order placed'. hmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

How have you been able to contact them? Because I can't seem to...

It's going back a couple of years but I contacted them by phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Same problem here, ordered on the 18th, order still saying "Order Placed". When you use the help on the site, it tells you that they won't investigate anomalous orders until 14 days have passed.

It's a reputable site, I've gotten tonnes of stuff off them over the past 5 years. First time I've had anything weird happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

seamus wrote: »
    Same problem here, ordered on the 18th, order still saying "Order Placed". When you use the help on the site, it tells you that they won't investigate anomalous orders until 14 days have passed.

It's a reputable site, I've gotten tonnes of stuff off them over the past 5 years. First time I've had anything weird happen.

I have stopped using them due to similar problems with my last few orders. The UK phone number doesn't work. I have always received my items, but in the last couple of occasions the delay has been unacceptable (pre-order online game for release day and don't receive it until 3 weeks after release date).

Their customer service is a joke.. (plenty of threads on the web about it)... I finally managed to make contact last time (using the helpdesk@play.com address i believe), I got assigned a query ticket number and never heard from them again. All other attempts to contact them failed.

You will receive your items eventually, but I personally won't ever use them again.

Indeed, there's one thing which we want next week, so I'm going to just go down to HMV on my lunch and buy it today. I'm probably going to reorder the other stuff from CDWOW today and cancel my play order.

Good to know that the order will come eventually. hope its this side of Christmas though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if you have a uk phone number there, take the zero off the start of it and replace it with 0044

if you have a uk phone number there, take the zero off the start of it and replace it with 0044

It's not an country code issue.. the number doesnt actually belong to play.com.. it's an automated message saying basically "this is not play.com's phone number"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Bear in mind there's play.com, and within that there's something like "play market" or something. Play.com are very reputable, and I've used them with no problems. Sometimes you order something and it's not coming from Play themselves - it's coming from a 3rd party. Look at the order page - if it says PlayTrade on the left of the order it's coming from somewhere else. Take a look at the PlayTrade FAQs here:
    https://www.play.com/Helpdesk.aspx?page=TradeGeneralq&r=HOME&pa=

You can also try the numbers below:
    Telephone number for Play:
    Play Phone Number: 08458001020
    Play Contact Number: 01534877595

• Advertisement

My order is with play, not play trade.

Thoie wrote: »
    Bear in mind there's play.com, and within that there's something like "play market" or something. Play.com are very reputable, and I've used them with no problems. Sometimes you order something and it's not coming from Play themselves - it's coming from a 3rd party. Look at the order page - if it says PlayTrade on the left of the order it's coming from somewhere else. Take a look at the PlayTrade FAQs here:
    https://www.play.com/Helpdesk.aspx?page=TradeGeneralq&r=HOME&pa=

You can also try the numbers below:
    Telephone number for Play:
    Play Phone Number: 08458001020
    Play Contact Number: 01534877595

Well, I think it depends on what your definition of reputable is :) Personally I don't think a company who pisses off soo many customers (do a search for complaints on the web) and has no realistic way of contacting them or any idea of customer service is reputable.

I tried those numbers you listed when i had a problem about 2-3 months ago, and had the same issue.. neither was actually connected. Hopefully this has changed, has anyone tried them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

seamus wrote: »
    Indeed, there's one thing which we want next week, so I'm going to just go down to HMV on my lunch and buy it today. I'm probably going to reorder the other stuff from CDWOW today and cancel my play order.

For God's sake, stay away from CDWOW. They are a complete shower of wasters and if you think Play.com are being tardy processing your order, then you ain't seen nothin' yet!!! I've had orders "pending dispatch" (as CDWOW puts it) for 4 weeks.

I've order thousands of euro worth of goods off Play in the last 4 years and they are fairly reliable with orders arriving in a 4 - 6 day period. 2 or 3 items never turned up but an email to their helpdesk and a replacement was issued straight away.

If you want alternatives, try Axelmusic, Movietyme, The Hut, Amazon.co.uk, for blu rays/dvds or videogamesplus for games.

But don't buy from CDWOW. They aren't even cheap. Some of their prices are dearer than what you would pay in HMV in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

of all the online sites I've used, play.com is the most reliable, longest anything ever took to get here was about 10 days, and that was during one of their big sales

Yeah, had a look at CDWOW and they're a good deal dearer than they used to be.

I reordered all the stuff from Amazon and it came out €2 cheaper, even with delivery. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

I ordered a book on Play last month, no sign of it after 3 weeks so I was able to get them to resend it. However, very next day I the original arrived! So now I presume the replacement copy is on route but wont be holding my breath for its arrival, although I might end up with 2 copies of the same book now!

Welease wrote: »
    I tried those numbers you listed when i had a problem about 2-3 months ago, and had the same issue.. neither was actually connected. Hopefully this has changed, has anyone tried them?

Huh, I know I phoned them within the last few months (my credit card had expired between the time of preordering and the item arriving in stock, so the order was cancelled). Maybe they sent me a different number on an email, I'll take a look and post it up if I find it.

Here's an extract from the email, and those were the numbers I used (the outside UK one):

If you experience any further problems please contact our Customer Service Department on 0845 800 1020(UK only) or +44(0)1534 877 595(outside UK) who will be able to assist you further.

They seem to be the same numbers I posted above. That email was sent 11/10/08, which was a Saturday, so I'd have phoned them the following Monday (October 13th), so the non-UK number was working then.

Out of total curiousity I just tried the number now, and got a recorded voice saying

"Sorry, the service is unavailable at present, we apologise for any inconvenience caused".

Weird. Now, it is out of hours, so maybe it's their "nighttime" message, but it did sound more like a BT "all gone" recording.

I definitely did speak to someone on that number in October though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Try emailing privacy@play.com

Also, as regards the phone no's keep trying them and you will get through. I've found that ringing the no. from a mobile (I know it's more expensive) I get through easier than trying to ring them from a landline!

Advertisement