Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Round 3 of Players Championship

• 25-11-2008 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭

Since a lot of people seem to miss out on tournaments because they dont hear or hear last minute, thought i'd post up the details of the next one

Saturday, January 10th 2009
    O'Shea's Hotel, Tramore, Co. Waterford.
    Men's Championship
    Closing date for entries and fees Wednesday, January 7th.

Ladies' and Youths' Championships
    Entries at 12.30pm at the venue on the day.

Entry forms and fees to be sent to Michael O'Sullivan, 29 Mervue Crescent, Ballyvolane, Cork.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Nice one, I might pop down to this one myself to get a bit of experience. i have been throwing better lately and if I managed to win one match I would be delighted with myself!

Do you get the entry forms off the INDO site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Aye, not sure if their up there yet but should be soon enough, i'll probably send mine in just after christmas so it doesnt get lost in the masses of posts

Well that was no fun

drove down saturday morning, arrived at 12 on the button due to traffic, my match took place at 12.20, so no time to settle in, threw decent darts but my opponent was pummelling the treble 20 and i ended up losing 5-0 and leaving with my tail between my legs after being there only 20 minutes

i didnt disgrace myself, i did keep up with him for the most part, but by and large i think in 3 legs i had darts at a double, nearly taking out 96 and 93 missing the final dart for the checkout and then i had 48, 16 and put two at double 16 on the wire.

The other 2 legs he threw first and ran away with the leg, i just couldnt keep up

disappointing to drive all that way and not win a leg, but experience i guess

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Well that was no fun

drove down saturday morning, arrived at 12 on the button due to traffic, my match took place at 12.20, so no time to settle in, threw decent darts but my opponent was pummelling the treble 20 and i ended up losing 5-0 and leaving with my tail between my legs after being there only 20 minutes

i didnt disgrace myself, i did keep up with him for the most part, but by and large i think in 3 legs i had darts at a double, nearly taking out 96 and 93 missing the final dart for the checkout and then i had 48, 16 and put two at double 16 on the wire.

The other 2 legs he threw first and ran away with the leg, i just couldnt keep up

disappointing to drive all that way and not win a leg, but experience i guess

Unlucky but sometimes it just doesn't go your way. fair play to you for having the guts to go down and give it a go, i know that I am not at that stage yet. I want to get some more practice in before I give the big tournaments a shot.

Keep at it, as you say it's experience which can only make you better in the future.

ah yeah cheers, i know its tough to put yourself in a big tournament but honestly some of the players there are very poor, and if i had gotten any of them i'd have still been in the tournament at 12:40, the only way to see if you get anywhere is to turn up and play them. its 30 euro to play and normally winning 1 game will give you a ranking point and put you in the running for kilkenny

win a couple of matches and your laughing

The next 3 are

Round Four - 2009 Championship

Sunday, March 1st., 2009, at the Clonmel Park Hotel, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary.
    Men's Championship - Closing date for entries and fees Wednesday, February 25th.
    Ladies' and Youths' Championships - Entries at 12.30pm at the venue on the day.
    Entry forms and fees to be sent to Michael O'Sullivan, 29 Mervue Crescent, Ballyvolane, Cork.

Round Five - 2009 Championship

Sunday, April 19th., 2009, at the Bridge House Hotel, Tullamore, Co. Offaly.
    Men's Championship - Closing date for entries and fees Wednesday, April 15th.
    Entry forms and fees to be sent to Joe Coyne, Kilree, Stoneyford, Kilkenny.

Round Six - 2009 Championship

Saturday, May 16th., 2009, at the Green Isle Hotel, Dublin.
    Men's Championship - Closing date for entries and fees Wednesday, May 13th.
    Entry forms and fees to be sent to Joe Coyne, Kilree, Stoneyford, Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

cheers for the info. I think I might aim for the final one in Dublin. That gives me time to get myself up to an acceptable level. I played against the computer last night and averaged 59.87 which I doubt would be good enough in a competition like that. Time to hit the practice board.

I average about 60-65 ish against the computer and i feel confident enough of taking on some of the players down there

if you get up to a consistent 65-70, your more than able to win a match or at least fare well in a match

of course nerves will drop your scoring a bit. so if you do end up losing, dont give up on it, just play a few more and settle the nerves for future tournaments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

With any of these events you're probably better off throwing a few tournaments at county level first. Just to get rid of the nerves that you'll experience in your first few tournaments.

I starting playing in alot of the Laois ranking tournaments this year, way above my level seeing as I'm playing in the Laois B league, and it did the world of good. Once you get comfortable at that level, then the players championships would be the next step up.

We're even organising B league singles tournaments just to encourage more throwers to start competing in singles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

From the Irish Darts Forum:
    A total of 191 players competed in Round Three at O'Shea's Hotel on Saturday, January 10th.

John Elder defeated Benny Grace 6-3 in the Men's final while Maureen Kelly had a 4-2 victory over Caroline Breen in the Ladies' final.

The Youths' competition was won by Martin Heneghan who defeated Mark Finneran 3-1.
    Final:
    John Elder 6-3 Benny Grace

Semi-finals:
    John Elder 6-4 Connie Finnan
    Benny Grace 6-0 Sean Marshall

Quarter-finals:
    John Elder 5-1 Mick Egan
    Connie Finnan 5-1 Anto McCracken
    Sean Marshall 5-2 Chris Connery
    Benny Grace 5-1 Gary Tipping

9th. to 16th.:
    John Elder 5-3 Garrett Gray
    Mick Egan 5-0 Jamie Kelliher
    Connie Finnan 5-1 John Mulligan
    Anto McCracken 5-2 Steve McDonnell
    Sean Marshall 5-0 John Meyler
    Chris Connery 5-2 Andrew Dempsey
    Benny Grace 5-1 Kevin McDonnell
    Gary Tipping 5-2 Roy Bailie

John Elder won the first prize of € 1,000 and he also came close to winning the € 500 Jackpot for a 9-dart finish.
    He narrowly missed Double 12 with his 9th. dart after scores of 180, 180, 60 and 57.

Anto won the board i was on so

damn i was hoping the guy i played would go far so i could say i was beaten by an eventual quarterfinalist or something :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement