Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing an extractor fan

Options
  • 25-11-2008 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi there,

I need to install an extractor fan over the hob in my kitchen. Has anyone any advice on what one to get and how to install it? Would I have to knock (or drill) a hole through my kitchen wall? As you can probably tell, I'm not very handy so perhaps I should hire someone to do the installation?
    All advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Pygmie wrote: »
    Hi there,

I need to install an extractor fan over the hob in my kitchen. Has anyone any advice on what one to get and how to install it? Would I have to knock (or drill) a hole through my kitchen wall? As you can probably tell, I'm not very handy so perhaps I should hire someone to do the installation?
    All advice greatly appreciated!

Generally, to the best of my knowledge, there are two main types -- one that blows straight out through the wall, and one that blows from its top up though the roof. Whatever type you choose you will need a fairly large hole (4 inch or so) to the outside somewhere, and that needs the right tools and knowledge. You will also need an electrical supply to the unit. Going by your admission then with greatest respect I'd say you need a professional to do it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You could always go for one of the charcoal filter types though I don't think they are nearly as effective as the ones which are vented through a 4" pipe to the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

you can rent a large drill with a 4" saw bit, this would knock a clean ope for you. The easy way is as suggested by Avns1s, the vented ones are the best. If your house is new there should be an electrical socket in place above the cooker, if not you'll need one typically taken from a counter top socket supply.

you'd need to be very aware that there may be electrical cables or mechanical pipes in the wall, so you need to check that before you drill it.

Advertisement