Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugababes...A revolving door?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Sugababes have been around since 1998...they only have one original group member left (of the original 3). Surely this is the best example of pop marketing ever!!

Yet there 'fans' still follow them. How fake is that?!?!

Is there anyone who thinks that this is almost like the Monkees in how fake it all is!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Heidi would get it

sugababes_heidi_black_stockings_o1thTQB.sized.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

the sugababes are really bad singers too and they sing live even though they're so **** :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

I thought their first single was actually pretty good. For a girl band, like. Was it called Overload or something like that?

Mind you, they're hardly much worse than Oasis as far as revolving doors go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

idPlease what is your obsession with people being fake?

First Mark Ronson, then Kanye West and now the Sugababes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I thought their first single was actually pretty good. For a girl band, like. Was it called Overload or something like that?

Mind you, they're hardly much worse than Oasis as far as revolving doors go.

Oasis aren't the worst either, try VAST or The Cult!
    Thread over, Lock it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

idPlease wrote: »
    Sugababes have been around since 1998...they only have one original group member left (of the original 3). Surely this is the best example of pop marketing ever!!

Is there anyone who thinks that this is almost like the Monkees in how fake it all is!?!

I'm not a fan by any means but I would say I would respect them more then most (if any) other pop acts out there... however, who cares how many members they've gone through? That's a full decade where they've still kept going and producing original material with one original member (and one of them's been there for a long time anyway I think). They've out-lasted most pop acts in a straight run.

Surely their fans are following them because they've been putting out fresh material for over 10 years that's catchy, poppy and all of that stuff, not because they refresh their lineup all the time?

Yes it's marketing, but are you going to tell me that any band out there aren't marketed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

but the sugababes are sexy:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

i don't see how it's fake at all. if anything it adds credence to the band. All manufactured pop bands splinter when a member leaves. Geri destroyed the Spice girls, Robbie destroyed Take That etc. whereas if you look at rock bands it tends to make no difference. ShawnRawven already pointed out a few examples but I'll lash another one in there. Wilco have changed line-up so many times it's getting hard to count. Have only kept two members since the formation yet have gone from strenght to strength (bar the last album) with a new and different sound as new members come and go. Same with the Chillis. Constant line-up changes make a band real if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Bubs101 wrote: »
    i don't see how it's fake at all. if anything it adds credence to the band. All manufactured pop bands splinter when a member leaves. Geri destroyed the Spice girls, Robbie destroyed Take That etc. whereas if you look at rock bands it tends to make no difference. ShawnRawven already pointed out a few examples but I'll lash another one in there. Wilco have changed line-up so many times it's getting hard to count. Have only kept two members since the formation yet have gone from strenght to strength (bar the last album) with a new and different sound as new members come and go. Same with the Chillis. Constant line-up changes make a band real if anything

I'd forgotten about Wilco!! To be fair to the Chili's though, they've pretty much had the same lineup since 1989 save for a five year period between 93-98 when Dave Navarro took over guitar duties (awesome guitarist, but sucked with that band!), but from 83-89 the Chili's were pretty much a revolving door with Kiedis and Flea being the two core members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

The Fall have been around since 1976...they only have one original group member left (of the original 3). Surely this is the best example of pop marketing ever!!

the sugababes are really bad singers too and they sing live even though they're so **** :eek:

The Fall are really bad singers too and they sing live even though they're so **** :eek:

As others have said, changing band members wasn't invented by the Sugababes, and they've had a good few decent pop tunes, not least their debut. And to criticise a pop band for singing live? We've really come full circle now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The OP does seem rather obsessed with "Fake Bands/Artists" :confused:

On the subject of the Sugababes, I suppose they're alright as pop acts go. Really liked their first song, although the revolving door thing reminds me of Trigger from Only Fools & Horses talking about being a roadsweeper and having the same brush for 20 years, he's only had to replace the handle six times and the head 8 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭idPlease

Bazmo* I'm doing a project for college on peoples perception of music. Hence the threads...:)

Advertisement