Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 156 styling

Options
  • 25-11-2008 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

I’ll always remember when the 156 landed here, the Tiger was kicking off and it looked like a beautiful piece of rolling sculpture. I was looking at one today and it was amazed how much it has dated, and I hate to say it but it looked like just another rather tired Italian that was well past it. Surfaces and details that were so fresh back then, now look droopy and lightweight, and only contribute to its aging.

I wonder how all this current fussy modern styling, with its multi-faceted surfaces, which look so interesting now, will look in a few years time. No doubt then we will be back to clean, minimal 2000 Audiesque styling.

And before people get upset, its highly subjective I know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I disagree, its still a beautiful car

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have to say, I think it still looks great. Are you sure you weren't looking at a tatty one? Or a facelift car, they weren't nearly as handsome as the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I'm biased I know but I can't agree either. I still think, aesthetically, the original 156 is among the most perfect mass-produced cars of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Dated - maybe. Only because it is familiar to me.
    It is nearly 10 years old (I think) as a design. On that basis, yes I do think it looks dated, but it still looks quite good compared to some of the trash out there. - Daewoo, Toyota and Nissan to name but a few companies that have some truly awful offerings.
    From the rear (ahem, no laughing down the back), it is one of the best looking cars in that class on the market.
    The overall look of the 156 is still ok 10 years later imo. Thats pretty good in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Try the latest Honda Civic for dated.
    That looked exciting for about five minutes when it first came out.

The 156 has classical lines, it'll still look good in 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

They made a mess of its looks with the facelift, the nose wasn't near as pretty and the newer alloys weren't great either.

If you come across a clean un-molested one with those phone-dial alloys without tacky add-ons (few and far between now), it still looks great IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭alias no.9

JoeA3 wrote: »
    If you come across a clean un-molested one with those phone-dial alloys without tacky add-ons (few and far between now), it still looks great IMO.

I'd have to agree (and also admit bais), there are lots of well worn, tired examples out there which will taint your overall perception of the styling but a tidy example with a good wax on a sunny day is still a little bit special compared to most of its contemporaries and lots of newer models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I passed a 166 last week and it still looks fresh. I think some of the 156s knocking about are a little shabby, which doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

JoeA3 wrote: »
    They made a mess of its looks with the facelift, the nose wasn't near as pretty and the newer alloys weren't great either.

I think the facelift 156 is beautiful, at least equally as nice as the pre facelift model.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I think it still looks well too. It is quite rare that a mainstream car still looks fresh (compared to current cars) after more than 10 years. Can't think of too many others in recent decades

• Advertisement
Advertisement