Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling on Carzone

Options
  • 25-11-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I am currently selling my car on carzone? However I am getting badly worded emails from England expressing interest in the car e.g. asking for more photos, why I am selling, etc etc. All perfectly normal queries until just awahile ago I got anoth indentically worded email from someone else in England. I actually rang a number they provided and it sounds like a Nigerian scam..they were shocked that I rang and got off the phone quickly on the basis they were in a meeting..

One email said they would send me the money by Thursday this week and when the money has cleared they would send someone around to pick the car up..without even inspecting it... now of course this has to be too good to be true and before anyone asks...No I have not given any bank details or personal details.

All in all it sounds like a scam and more importantly it is a serious waste of my time..

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

1st I've heard of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Why would anyone from England buy a car over here? way cheaper over there.

In fact I actually bought mine in England:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AvrilLavigne

First email:
    Am in N/Ireland,Do you still have extra pictures of the car precisely Interior part, I will come down on Saturday to Inspect and test drive the car with my mechanic,Will you be available?

What is the rock bottom price of the car?

Reply.

Second email:

Thanks for your mail.

I have just contacted my fiduciary agent to pay for the car by bank draft for 14500euros which will be from an Irish bank and it will only take 2 to 5 days to clear into your account,the draft will gets to you early next week and Inspection will be done on the car by Mid next week. I need the car for my family and I need to act fast in buying it,I will need you make available all the relevant documents for the car .

The Following details will be needed by the Bank to issue out the draft to you:

1, Full Names

2, Full Address

3, Phone Numbers

Reply.

Regards

Third email:

Good Morning.

How was your weekend.

I Just confirm to you draft has been sent to you,It will land this Wednesday or Thursday If not delay by Irish post.

Secondly,some money has been added with the car fee as Inspection fee, once you receive,lodge it and let me know when It will clear into your account.Has the advert been remove from the Web?

Acknowledge this mail.

Regards.

Fourth email:

Hi,
    Have you receive the draft?If not It might be tomorrow due to postal delay,Kindly lodge it and confirm when It will be clear into your account.

Regards.

Fifth email:

Hello,

The Inspectors said they will need to come down to your loation but they will need you to send their 5500euros tomorrow morning,you will send it through Western Union to the Name and address below and send me the MTCN and scan payment slip to me:

Name:John Paul
    Address: 20 Gagarina street,kharkov,Ukraine.

Regards

Are yours along these lines? It was fun for a while! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

SCAM! Lol

Yeah avril....bascially along those lines although I havent got to the stage of the money actaully being sent..:mad::mad:

They said their bank was in Belfast also.

Did you have the same experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

although I havent got to the stage of the money actaully being sent..:mad::mad:
    You never will, i'm afraid. Although a rubber draft should be bouncing its way towards you as we speak.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

they are all scams, please just ignore them

It was my first time selling but I knew it was too good to true and very dodge..I emailed carzone about it just for sake of it and wondering does it ofetn happen.

just wondering where it would end up really..id say they spend all their time setting up and checking up their numerous email accounts..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It was my first time selling but I knew it was too good to true and very dodge..I emailed carzone about it just for sake of it and wondering does it ofetn happen.

just wondering where it would end up really..id say they spend all their time setting up and checking up their numerous email accounts..:)
    Top of the page: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055320098 ;)

Yeah avril....bascially along those lines although I havent got to the stage of the money actaully being sent..:mad::mad:

They said their bank was in Belfast also.

Did you have the same experience?

Yes I did. I played along because I wanted to waste their time. I was ecpecting the scam to be bounced draft and that the car exchange would occur between receiving the draft and it bouncing. It seems that the scam was to over pay and call it an inspection fee, then ask for the inspection fee through Western Union. The combined value of the car and inspection fee was 20000 so i hope they did actually buy a draft for 20! This is done I think so that they can they forge it to say 20000. It may help it stop it from bouncing too soon.

There are also scams where a guy will call supposedely from a financial company offering to put you in touch with customers who will immediately pay the full asking amount. All you have to do is give him your laser / credit card details so they can get a small fee, like 120, of which you will get back 100. How nice of them! Watch out for a Cyprus number, it starts with +35, which is similar to Irish numbers, +353.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    1st I've heard of it...

:D:D

Seriously tho ....... This is getting to be a real pain in the hol3, I tend to do my bit, and report dodgy adds. But it seems they just aint bothered. shower of mop-heads

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There are also scams where a guy will call supposedely from a financial company offering to put you in touch with customers who will immediately pay the full asking amount. All you have to do is give him your laser / credit card details so they can get a small fee, like 120, of which you will get back 100. How nice of them! Watch out for a Cyprus number, it starts with +35, which is similar to Irish numbers, +353.

I had them call me. Strung them along for 10 minutes, until she asked me was there anything else I wanted to mention about the car to the buyers she had lined up. I told her the car had no wheels. She asked me if I was planning on getting wheels for it, but I said that I thought it was common practice for people to supply their own wheels, and she agreed.

then it came to the part where I was supposed to give my CC/Laser info. I offered to pay by Homebase card, Tesco club card, Value Club card, each time she patiently explained to me that they didn't accept them, and it had to be a credit or laser card. Finally, I asked her if I could make up a credit card number. She yelled "Do you realise that you're just wasting my time!" and hung up. The irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

phutyle wrote: »
    I had them call me. Strung them along for 10 minutes, until she asked me was there anything else I wanted to mention about the car to the buyers she had lined up. I told her the car had no wheels. She asked me if I was planning on getting wheels for it, but I said that I thought it was common practice for people to supply their own wheels, and she agreed.

then it came to the part where I was supposed to give my CC/Laser info. I offered to pay by Homebase card, Tesco club card, Value Club card, each time she patiently explained to me that they didn't accept them, and it had to be a credit or laser card. Finally, I asked her if I could make up a credit card number. She yelled "Do you realise that you're just wasting my time!" and hung up. The irony.
    LOL love it! :)

then it came to the part where I was supposed to give my CC/Laser info. I offered to pay by Homebase card, Tesco club card, Value Club card, each time she patiently explained to me that they didn't accept them, and it had to be a credit or laser card. Finally, I asked her if I could make up a credit card number. She yelled "Do you realise that you're just wasting my time!" and hung up. The irony

Sweet.....actually I think thats what I'll do...I will ask them to ring me so I can give them my Account details to transfer the money and see how that goes..:):)

Sweet.....actually I think thats what I'll do...I will ask them to ring me so I can give them my Account details to transfer the money and see how that goes..:):)

Well, my story was about the other scam where they claim to have a buyer for your car - you'll get them calling you soon enough!

The one you're talking abou in your original post, they probably won't call you, but you could definitely string them along by email like AvrilLavigne did. I had a load of those mails too, but didn't get the chance to mess with them.

Email six: (After I asked who JP is and why Ukraine etc..)

Thanks.

The car will be ship to my house in Ukraine,the money is for both inspectors and shipping of the car,John Paul is one of the Inspector that will be coming to inspect the car,they informed me they will be coming tomorrow to inspect it.The money will be needed to prepare papers for the shipment, book flight and reservation.

I thought all along their angle might be that they would get my address and the car would be nicked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I think they should focus more on learning too actully type in English and make some sense, too people who fully understand English.

Take for example;

I like the looks of your car.

Also, he talks about his fiduciary agent, but this is a person who is paid too do what he is doing. So why would he contact the fiduciary agent? :D

Last but not leased, he DEMANDS, that you go too Western Union. :pac:

The only thing I would be forwarding too them is a 1c money transfer.

msg11 wrote: »
    I think they should focus more on learning too actully type in English and make some sense, too people who fully understand English.

Take for example;

I like the looks of your car.

Also, he talks about his fiduciary agent, but this is a person who is paid too do what he is doing. So why would he contact the fiduciary agent? :D

Last but not leased, he DEMANDS, that you go too Western Union. :pac:

The only thing I would be forwarding too them is a 1c money transfer.

;) If you're going to criticise others for their spelling and grammar, you should probably get it right yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

;) If you're going to criticise others for their spelling and grammar, you should probably get it right yourself!

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I agree, but then again, I am not trying too scam people day in day out. Besides, I really could not give a ****e if I can't spell, I am happy with talking, listening and reading, so thanks for the low blow shot. Maybe give them some lessons so they don't set alarm bells off just reading!

Advertisement