Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coming unstuck - kitchen presses.

Options
  • 25-11-2008 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Our house was a new build which we've had for two years. Over the last couple of months the laminate on all the kitchen presses has started to come away from the material it is glued to. The doors are a recessed panel design and it's coming away at the internal corner of the recessed bit. Sorry if I'm explaining it badly.

We don't have any damp or condensation or any other reason I can think for this happening.

I guess my question is, if there is any easy way to fix it or if there is even any point talking to the builder (Is 2 years too long?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Our house was a new build which we've had for two years. Over the last couple of months the laminate on all the kitchen presses has started to come away from the material it is glued to. The doors are a recessed panel design and it's coming away at the internal corner of the recessed bit. Sorry if I'm explaining it badly.

We don't have any damp or condensation or any other reason I can think for this happening.

I guess my question is, if there is any easy way to fix it or if there is even any point talking to the builder (Is 2 years too long?)

That used to happen a lot with products from a certain UK company (no names, no pack drill etc), and it seemed it was due to poor quality board. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing you can do to repair it, although I suppose you could try something like Evostick. Even if that works, it will never look right because the laminate will not go back exactly flat. Personally I would surely talk to the builder since I wouldn't expect the cabinets to fall apart like that in two years. The only other alternative is to buy replacement doors -- places like B&Q have them in a range of patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I have Vinyl rap doors too and a couple of them are doing the same.I asked a carpenter friend of mine and he says they cant be fixed.
    Talk to your builder either way as he will be able to tell you where he got the kitchen if you wanted to replace the bad doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭willbur

hi this happens to doors are to close to the gas or electric hob and the steam/heat does this , i have collected doors like yours from people wanting me to repplace them with new solid doors , but sometimes i remove the plastic coating and repaint the doors with special paint, any colour and new handles and they look great and saves buying new doors are you a d.i.y.person

Advertisement