Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dyslexia

Options
  • 25-11-2008 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi

I want to get my daugther assessed, publicly the want is over a year. Does anyone know how to go about getting an appointment with an educational psychologist.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I got the names for a few through the school when my son needed an assessment. This was six or more years ago and it cost about 350 pounds at the time. We saw one and then had another assessment about two years later with another one and she was much better.
    School is definitely your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

We had our son assessed through the school last year. I would also recommend getting the names of the Educational Psychologist through the school if the wait is long then you can contact them directly. I think the NEPS website has a list of Educational Psychologists too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

what part of the country are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Traceyw

I live in Wicklow, so anywhere around South Dublin down to Wicklow town.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

go to the dept of education site and look for the list of neps approved psychologists, there may be a long waiting list, so be sure to say you will take any cancellation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 foxylady5160

Hi- I would recommend that you would sort this out yourself. I have to say the educational system does not work well trying to get a child assessed. Currently the ways things are you'll be waiting a long time because of funding. I would recommend that you contact the Dyslexia Assiocation directly and they will give you the names. Also it would benefit your child in the long term to be seen as soon as possible. As a child with Dyslexia has a slightly different way of learning however they will be given consessions when its comes to tests(extra time), learning aids like laptops or TEXTHELP speciality software used for people with learning difficulties. This will be important down the road when doing the Junior/Leaving Cert and going onto 3rd level. A child with dyslexia can still go on and do extremely well in life in what ever they wish to pursue. Also I think theres something in the revenue that you can claim back for tuition etc but thats something you will have to read up on. The very best of luck-please let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 foxylady5160

http://www.dyslexia.ie/diagass.htm

There is a list of the Psychologists who do the assessments and please read about exams accomodations as this will set you up for the future with the childs education.

Advertisement