Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating - Gas Oil

• 25-11-2008 4:25pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bought a house and need to get some central heating oil. The tank has a big sticker saying "Gas Oil". Googling tells me that thats Diesel and ( and the burner is out door), is that correct?

Is there much difference between Diesel and Kerosene for home heating?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Kerosene is slightly cheaper than gas oil at the moment. Kerosene is a lighter, cleaner oil than gas oil - leaves less deposit in the boiler. If you change from one to the other, the burner will need to be re-adjusted. Some of the older burners cannot handle kerosene - so it is probably best to keep using the same oil, or get an expert to advise you. If you give us the make and model of the burner, we might be able to tell you if you can change over.
    Jim.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Sounds like I shouldnt trust the sticker that says Gas Oil, thats the best way to check whats in the tank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

James is right about the adjustment. I would say though, that there are very few burners still "burning" that cannot deal with kerosene.

If you could change to kerosene. It's cleaner and cheaper - certainly better value than gas oil. A small adjustment to the pump pressure is generally all that is required but it should be done by someone with access to a pressure gauge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

you're right not to trust the sticker. Tie a white rag to the end of a stick and dip. kerosene is a reddish colour wheras gas oil(diesel is clear)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

you're right not to trust the sticker. Tie a white rag to the end of a stick and dip. kerosene is a reddish colour wheras gas oil(diesel is clear)

Sorry to contradict but the last time I checked Gas Oil / Diesel for home heating is green.

• Advertisement

Avns1s wrote: »
    I would say though, that there are very few burners still "burning" that cannot deal with kerosene.

I agree with you, but I actually saw one today :D.
    Also you will usually need to change the nozzle up one or two sizes, when you change to kerosene. If the burner is over 10 years old, the oil pump gears will be worn and might not like the thinner oil (kerosene), which gives less lubrication.
    Jim.

Well I stuck a jar down and its a redish colour so that pretty comclusive that the sticker was wrong!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

It depends on how old the oil in the tank is. Diesel (marked gas oil) up to a few years ago was dyed red.

It looks like you have kerosene - unless you know that the boiler has not been used for years.
    If the flue ends in a vent just out through the wall, then the system is designed for kerosene. If it has a flue going up above roof level, it was designed for gas oil - but may now be using kerosene.
    Jim.

its an outdoor burner and flue goes out the roof of the burner building. The previous owner sepent alot of time out of the country so its conciveable that a fill of oil lasted him a long time. Here's 2 pictures of the jar. I really appricate this as the tank is running low and I want to get a fill in ASAP.

• Advertisement

It's a long time since diesel was red - I would say at least 5 years - but probably more. That looks like kerosene you have. Dip a bit of paper in it, and try to light it - kerosene will probably burn easily - diesel will not :D
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Looks like kerosene to me you can usually tell by the smell
    Kerosene smells completely different to diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

copper12 wrote: »
    Looks like kerosene to me you can usually tell by the smell
    Kerosene smells completely different to diesel

so can you explain to the OP what kerosene smells like? ;)

Forgot to try burn the stuff last night. Has a very strong smell but I have a petrol car so never had any reason to be sniffing diesel :D

Most people are familiar with the smell of gas and petrol diesel is becoming more popular in cars and I am sure you have been stuck behind a truck before kerosene it’s hard to describe
    But there’s defiantly no gas in the tank very unlikely to be petrol so if its doesn’t smell like diesel or the back of a truck then you have a 50 50 chance of it being kerosene :p

Got my mrs to dip kitchen paper in it and light it and it burned no problem which I belive diesel wont do so easily.

Quite boy getting the misses to light the paper
    You could have killed two birds with the one stone :eek::P

Im in work and she's off for the morning so had to be done ;)

I want to ge ta fill ordered as the level is low and were laying off the heating ATM so its bloody freezing!!!

She wont let me light the fire untill the chimney is checked/cleaned so the least she can do is burn a bit of paper for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ancuncha

The main difference in home heating between gas oil and kerosene is that the kerosene burns hotter than gas oil

both can be used in your boiler, but they have to be set at different pressure at the pump

this would want to be done by a plumber or someone who knows what there doing, it shouldn't be expensive to have checked and whilst there at it have a new jet fitted and the filter cleaned witch should improve the consumption/efficiency of the boiler

Advertisement