Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vehicle Access Planning

• 25-11-2008 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi Guys,
    Hopefully you can help. I'm applying for planning to put in a driveway in my terraced home... fairly basic really, I'll get it paved and put up a gate, just need to get the planning permission to knock the front wall effectively... loads of other have done it on the street, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I drew the plans up myself though, but my first application got flagged as invalid by dublin city council and sent back to me because the plans of the driveway did not have "elevations" on it.

It's all pretty flat, is there any way to get these done without involving an architect, or would anyone have an example of what they are looking for?

Any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Alan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

never came across that before but I assume they want side views (and front) from the house to the entrance/footpath/road. Show a couple of spot levels and draw your rise/fall accordingly.

It can help at times by phoning the planning office and ask to speak to whoever validates the application and be guided by them. Different councils have different requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maperoo

When you say "Show a couple of spot levels and draw your rise/fall accordingly.", what do you mean? I imagine these need to be to scale measurements of rise and fall, but what is your startingpoint.

It's for dublin city council, and when they took the application originally, they did observe that it was missing but they took it anyway and said ..'u might get lucky'. Well, I wasn't lucky enough, and it'll cost €160 to put the ad in the paper again :(

Thanks in advance for any help guys,
    Cheers

If you cant get someone to take a couple of levels for you (even the local blocklayer would do it) just use an ordinary spirit level on a 5' length of timber and a tape to get the different levels at the centre of the road, centre of footpath where entrance is going, inside boundary wall, maybe 2 more up along the ground where the drive will be and a level on the floor of the house.

For example (Im assuming the house is uphill from road) you can start with an assumed OD level of 10.00 on centre of road. Footpath would be 10.15, behind wall - 10.18, up along route of drive - 10.29, 10.36 and finally a level on house floor - 10.61.

Those units are only for guidance. You just need to plot the sloping ground on the elevations to correspond with the levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

What they are looking for here when they mention Elevation drawings are drawings showing what the finshed wall / lack of wall will look like when finished.

You need to produce a drawing to represent as if you were standing on the street looking directly back at your house. This drawing will look similar to what a photograph would produce of the front of your house when it's finished. It would show the outline of the house in the background and and "bits" of wall / railing that are to the sides of the new opening you are making along with the new gate.

The spot "levels" go on the plan you submitted. You should take a look at this document http://www.dublincity.ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/planning_instructions.pdf it contains a list of all the things that must be included with an application and what must be on drawings submitted.

just some of the items in this document flagged up for elevation drawings are as follows;

23(1)(b) Other plans, including elevations and sections, drawn to a scale of not less than 1:200 (or agreed scale)
    23(1)(f) Plans and drawings of floor plans, elevations (all sides) and sections shall indicate in figures the principal dimensions (including overall height)
    23(1)(d) Elevation drawings showing proposed structure and (full) contiguous building to the proposed on site or in the vicinity at a scale of not less than 1:200
    23(1)(i) Plans and drawings show name and address of person who prepared them

The last one is often overlooked... i.e the name of whoever drew the plans must be printed on each drawing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

they probably want to ensure that when you come out of your drive that you can see far enough let & right so that you don't cause an accident. A huge wall that blocks the view will be a problem. Cars etc.. parked on the road do not count.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much guys... muffler, those measurements are something I think I can take myself, but when you say "assumed OD level of 10.00 "... what's "OD level", and 10 what, in units?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

maperoo wrote: »
    Thanks very much guys... muffler, those measurements are something I think I can take myself, but when you say "assumed OD level of 10.00 "... what's "OD level", and 10 what, in units?
    OD is "ordnance data", a system used to measure height above sea level. In this case, you don't know the height above sea level so you use an assumed level of 10.00 metres. The spot levels are relevant to this, ie a finished floor level of 10.61 would mean the floor level of the house is 0.61 metres above the level of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

OD = Ordnance Datum (starting level)
    10.00 = Assumed starting level of plus 10.00m allowing you to rise (go up) or fall (go down) without going into the negative figures and confusing everyone.

perfect guys, that's great, thx a million!

And thanks from me too. Saved me the bother of typing a reply :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement