Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade in or Sell?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

I have a bad habit of laughing at people who make poor offers, so I am a bit loath to attempt bringing in my current car to trade in (especially with all the news at the moment of car dealers having too many cars)

If any of the resident car dealers here could possibly advise me what they would normally offer (if at all) for a 1997 Mitsubishi FTO GR Manual V6 140k km - excellent bodywork for a car of that age, with a few mods (induction, lowered). Im not going to hold you to it (not that I would know who you are) I just wouldnt mind having some idea in my head before going.

I am torn between trying to sell her (which might take a while, as its an enthusiasts car) or not being arsed and asking for a trade in with my tail between my legs.

Any serious advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I'm not in the trade but most wouldn't even entertain it as a trade in while a rare few might try and flatter you with €1k if the sticker price on whatever you're looking at was high enough to cover it. At the end of the day however, it all depends on what you're looking to buy and how quickly the seller reckon they could move the FTO on. You may get lucky and find someone who would fancy keeping it as a plaything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Maybe I should put on the robe and wizard hat and attempt to sell it via adverts.ie

I really dont want to go through the hassle of selling it on a public site like cbg or carzone.

I sort of assumed the dealers wouldnt offer anything that would pique my interest. I just wouldnt mind seeing what they think here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Stick into an auction and see what you can get for it. If you assumed you'd get nothing for it, you might get lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Jumpy wrote: »
    I have a bad habit of laughing at people who make poor offers, so I am a bit loath to attempt bringing in my current car to trade in (especially with all the news at the moment of car dealers having too many cars)

There have been several threads recently saying that dealers are just refusing to take trade-ins at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ebay UK?

An enthusiast car in excellent condition would stand a good chance of fetching a few bob over there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement