Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant on civil servants, welfare handouts, etc.

Options
  • 25-11-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I don't know about anyone else but I'm not happy with the prospects of paying more tax next year and that money being used to employ obselete civil servants and pay other people's mortgages.

There is so much wastage in the civil service with job duplication and redundant jobs yet we have seen no real cut in their numbers. This Bórd Snip idea better do what it says on the tin and trim the fat off the civil service. And don't get me started on their pensions.

As for the increase in people looking for help with paying their mortgage. As far as I'm concerned if people have been laid off recently or suffered a large cut in hours and are now struggling to pay their mortgage they should recieve some assistance. However the people who get in over their head with unrealistic mortgage repayments have themselves to blame. Yes the bank should have looked more closely at them but the fact is many people exagerated their income to get more cash for houses they couldn't afford. There has to be some personal responsibility.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I think you'd have to be very worried with a government which starts with cutting the medical card to pensioners as a measure to save money. Our government has a terrible record on making difficult decisions so personally I'm very worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Run DMC

Cutting medical cards for pensioners wasn't the worst decision. They just got the threshold bit wrong. Why should we pay for some retired banker who made a fortune and now gets medical care just because of his age. There should not be universal medical cards for the elderly, however the means testing should be done at a high enough level that the elderly are not paying over too much of thier pension on medical expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Means testing? You mean you'll need more civil servants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Run DMC wrote: »
    Cutting medical cards for pensioners wasn't the worst decision. They just got the threshold bit wrong. Why should we pay for some retired banker who made a fortune and now gets medical care just because of his age. There should not be universal medical cards for the elderly, however the means testing should be done at a high enough level that the elderly are not paying over too much of thier pension on medical expenses.

+1 , the only thing that annoyed me about the pensioners thingy was that the goverment backed down , pensioners are treated extremly well in this country and have it better than most other demographics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Sorry I have no problem with means testing but they just initially cut it full stop.

• Advertisement

No, that is the typical garbage that you would here from the civil service.

They should use some of the ones currently not doing anything to do the means testing. Although I'm sure their feckin union would be up in arms demanding that they get paid more for all the re-training that they would have to do.

dresden8 wrote: »
    Means testing? You mean you'll need more civil servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

No, that is the typical garbage that you would here from the civil service.

They should use some of the ones currently not doing anything to do the means testing. Although I'm sure their feckin union would be up in arms demanding that they get paid more for all the re-training that they would have to do.

You are full of crap. I love the picture of civil servants in our underground lairs, stroking our white cats, feeding poor put upon private sector workers to the mutated sea bass with lasers attached to their heads, in our attempt to destroy the world economy.

If we have widespread redundancies who will run our escape mono-rail and do the rocket count-down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

However the people who get in over their head with unrealistic mortgage repayments have themselves to blame. Yes the bank should have looked more closely at them but the fact is many people exagerated their income to get more cash for houses they couldn't afford. There has to be some personal responsibility.

have to agree with you there,some where just trying to keep up with the jones,i remember the bull**** on rte at time it was "an average person in ireland owns 2 homes",and now them sort of people are struggleing now,the same lot that drove their suvs to creches,or the lot that used to whinge on primetime on about creches shortages cause you coundnt ask the mother to stay at home cause she wanted to pay for the second house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I don't know about anyone else but I'm not happy with the prospects of paying more tax next year and that money being used to employ obselete civil servants and pay other people's mortgages.

There is so much wastage in the civil service with job duplication and redundant jobs yet we have seen no real cut in their numbers. This Bórd Snip idea better do what it says on the tin and trim the fat off the civil service. And don't get me started on their pensions.
    QUOTE]

First off Civil Servents pay tax too.
    Secondly Since 1995 Civil Servents pay 6.5% of their weekly wage for their pensions (Contributory State pension). If a Clerical officer retires they will get half their wages as a pension. that would be around 350 a week at the moment. Approx 230 of that would be a state pension that EVERYBODY else gets (either contributory or non-contributory) so in effect the CO would be getting 120 a week more than the state pension. They would only get this 120 euro extra a week IF they have worked for 40 years. Obviously the higher up the scale you go the pension would be higher but the vast majority of the civil service would be CO's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

I would love to know who is orchestrating this daily assault on the Civil & Public Service ? ffs it's as if anyone working in the civil and public service should just give up their job in the morning in the name of doing their bit for the country.

Meanwhile the heads of the banks have cosy sit ins in Farmleigh with the Taoiseach.

Anyone who voted for FF over the last 15 years should just shut the **** up as you gave up your right to complain about the current state we are in when you did that.

• Advertisement

eigrod wrote: »
    I would love to know who is orchestrating this daily assault on the Civil & Public Service ? ffs it's as if anyone working in the civil and public service should just give up their job in the morning in the name of doing their bit for the country.

Meanwhile the heads of the banks have cosy sit ins in Farmleigh with the Taoiseach.

Anyone who voted for FF over the last 15 years should just shut the **** up as you gave up your right to complain about the current state we are in when you did that.

i think the civ service is been used as a scapegoat at the mo,think people want it to be ran like ryanair/lidl now!

Fred83 wrote: »
    i think the civ service is been used as a scapegoat at the mo,think people want it to be ran like ryanair/lidl now!

Yeah, but more of a smokescreen than a scapegoat i.m.o.

think its awful way some people are loseing their houses or going to jail for not having a tv licence but developers who owe millions are getting a softer touch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

you are correct

think its awful way some people are loseing their houses or going to jail for not having a tv licence but developers who owe millions are getting a softer touch

And the bankers whose policies doled out the money to those very people now losing their houses are collecting €1.5m bonusses.

Somehow I doubt it was the cozy sit in you say it was. Anyway sure didn't the lads at FAS get a nice trip to NASA and a manicure.

Not all civil servants should give up their jobs. However, just like in the private sector, if there is no work to be done then jobs should be cut. Why should it only be the private sector that has job losses?

I'm no fan of FF and I'd have no confidence in FG with Kenny leading but I don't think all the blame can be laid at the door of FF. Not 100% sure but as corrupt as Haughey, Reynolds and Ahern were, I don't think they were giving out sub prime loans to americans or creating markets for credit default swaps. The property bubble can be partly blamed on them but no the whole state of the economy.

I'm no fan of FF and I'd have no confidence in FG with Kenny leading but I don't think all the blame can be laid at the door of FF. Not 100% sure but as corrupt as Haughey, Reynolds and Ahern were, I don't think they were giving out sub prime loans to americans or creating markets for credit default swaps. The property bubble can be partly blamed on them but no the whole state of the economy.

they did had their hand in the boom do,it went to their heads,they coundnt build enough houses quick,so the houses that where left where way over charged,finna fail had their hand out for the property tax,and anyone at the time that said this was gonna not last forever where either shunned or shouted down and accused of scare mongering

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

gazzer wrote: »

First off Civil Servents pay tax too.
    Secondly Since 1995 Civil Servents pay 6.5% of their weekly wage for their pensions (Contributory State pension). If a Clerical officer retires they will get half their wages as a pension. that would be around 350 a week at the moment. Approx 230 of that would be a state pension that EVERYBODY else gets (either contributory or non-contributory) so in effect the CO would be getting 120 a week more than the state pension. They would only get this 120 euro extra a week IF they have worked for 40 years. Obviously the higher up the scale you go the pension would be higher but the vast majority of the civil service would be CO's
    Is this 6.5% of their wage for all civil servants or just those who started after 95?
    Can you provide any link to any defined benefit private pension scheme which only requires 6.5% of salary for a 50% of final salary pension?
    After 40 years in a job, would not progressing beyond entry level not say something about a persons character?

Do the civil service all pay the normal 6% prsi? or is it only recent starters?

they did had their hand in the boom do,it went to their heads,they coundnt build enough houses quick,so the houses that where left where way over charged,finna fail had their hand out for the property tax,and anyone at the time that said this was gonna not last forever where either shunned or shouted down and accused of scare mongering

And they lost the capacity to listen....except when it was Dan McLaughlin, and more recently Tom Parlon, doing the talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

irish_bob wrote: »
    +1 , the only thing that annoyed me about the pensioners thingy was that the goverment backed down , pensioners are treated extremly well in this country and have it better than most other demographics

Don't agree. The current pensioners have seen hardship that we haven't seen and I don't begrudge them a happy and healthy retirement to be honest. They suffered tax rates of over 50% in the worst of it so they can take a back seat now I think when the cuts are coming I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement