Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2008 Forecast and Analysis

Options
  • 25-11-2008 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭

Here we go folks, the last chance to overhaul Nacho and steal the yearly title from his grasp!!
    Will the cooler trend of recent months continue, will there be sneachta on Christmas day?..these are important questions that need answers!

With the season that's in it there's a couple of Christmas specials..double points this month for any question exactly right.

1. What will be mean temperature in December?
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations?
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations?
    4. What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day?
    5. Which station will have the highest rainfall total for the month?
    6. Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day (more here) ?

Happy Christmas to all and try not to drink too much :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Last month of using the 10 main stations for nationwide stats also. From January onwards, either Dublin Airport or Casement will be dropped due to their close proximity to each other while Johnstown Castle and Galway will be included as the SE is not represented well in the OIM. Thinking of bringing Omagh and Belfast in as well, but we'll see how that goes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

We measure snow in cm. Paddy Power i'm happy to go with but i'm sure 1cm of snow is usually declared for official white Christmas. Snow grains can be 1mm diameter (ok still snow) and also hail so a slight shower of these can leave a dusting of which can melt in minutes. Will this a white Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snowbie wrote: »
    We measure snow in cm. Paddy Power i'm happy to go with but i'm sure 1cm of snow is usually declared for official white Christmas. Snow grains can be 1mm diameter (ok still snow) and also hail so a slight shower of these can leave a dusting of which can melt in minutes. Will this a white Christmas?

I'm going with Paddy Powers declaration to be unbiased. I'm guessing it probably is 1mm of precip which is about 1CM of snow which they are going to use, If they payout then I'll accept whatever their decision is*

*Myself and Arcticree will probably be buried under 1 Metre of snow anyhow so ye Dubs can have the 1mm or cm..tis much of a muchness :p

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

1. What will be mean temperature in December? 7.8C
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 12.8C
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -8.6C
    4. What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day? 9.3C
    5. Which station will have the highest rainfall total for the month? Cork Airport
    6. Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport on Christmas Day? No

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What will be mean temperature in December? 6.9 c
    What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 13.6 C
    What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -4.2
    4. What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day? 7.2 C
    5. Which station will have the highest rainfall total for the month? Valentia
    6. Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day (more here) ? no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

1. What will be mean temperature in December? 8.4
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 8.8
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -2.0
    4. What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day? 6.0
    5. Which station will have the highest rainfall total for the month? Belmullet
    6. Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day? No

Let the games commence. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

1. What will be mean temperature in December? 7.3c
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 11.5c
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -5.2c
    4. What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day? 5.1c
    6. Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day? No

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

1. What will be mean temperature in December? ... 4.8 C
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? ... 12.2 C
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? ... -10.8 C
    4. What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day? ... 3.1 C
    5. Which station will have the highest rainfall total for the month? ... wish I had a clue ... or Cork
    6. Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day (more here) ? ... YES !!! :D (3 cms)

Watch for a major windstorm around 12-13 Dec and a return to very cold wx before Christmas after some cold and snow early in the month. Literally an up and down month. :cool:

Jaysus MT, your forecast looks positively Canadian!
    I for one hope you score a bajillion points this month :eek: :p :pac:

a late bonus question, which station will have the most lying snow over the next five days:D

i'm going with Clones, too bad there is no way to verify this:pac:

• Advertisement

December 61-90 combined mean of the 10 Met Eireann synoptic stations is 5.9c. I should have posted this earlier as everyone seems to have predicted a much higher value than this, so if you feel the need to change your forecast, then go for it before Supercell gleefully slams shut the gate!!!!:)

a late bonus question, which station will have the most lying snow over the next five days:D

i'm going with Clones, too bad there is no way to verify this:pac:

Mine!!, though that's not allowed in the competition unfortunately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

Nearly forgot with all the current model watching. This will probable ruin my scores but I'm going with my heart instead of my head so the cold will continue and it will be a hale winter.

1. What will be mean temperature in December? 4.9
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 11.2
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -6.7
    4. What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day? 3.1
    5. Which station will have the highest rainfall total for the month? Malin Head
    6. Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day ? YES

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

1. What will be mean temperature in December? 5.1
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 12.2
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -6.1
    4. What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day? 4.9
    6. Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day ? NO

December 61-90 combined mean of the 10 Met Eireann synoptic stations is 5.9c. I should have posted this earlier as everyone seems to have predicted a much higher value than this, so if you feel the need to change your forecast, then go for it before Supercell gleefully slams shut the gate!!!!:)

very well then:)

What will be mean temperature in December? 5.4 c
    What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 12.1C
    What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -4.7
    What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day? 7.2 C
    Which station will have the highest rainfall total for the month? Valentia
    Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day (more here) ? no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

1. What will be mean temperature in December 5.2C
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 13.3C
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -4.9C
    4. What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day? 7.8C
    6. Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day? NO

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

1. What will be mean temperature in December? 5.0c
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 12.2c
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -5.3c
    4. What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day? 3.6c
    6. Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day. No

What will be mean temperature in December? 6.0 c
    What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 13.1C
    What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -5.2C
    What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day? 8.5C
    Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day (more here) ? No

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

1. What will be mean temperature in December 5.3°.C.
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 12.0°.C.
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -5.0°.C.
    4. What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day? 6.5°.C.
    5. Which station will have the highest rainfall total for the month? Valentia.
    6. Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day? NO

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Last month of using the 10 main stations for nationwide stats also. From January onwards, either Dublin Airport or Casement will be dropped due to their close proximity to each other while Johnstown Castle and Galway will be included as the SE is not represented well in the OIM. Thinking of bringing Omagh and Belfast in as well, but we'll see how that goes. :)

Just two quick questions, if Dublin Airport is dropped does this effect the sea area forecast coastal reports also?

is the December Forecast and analysis open to everyone or just regular posters on the fourm?

Cheers

• Advertisement

very well then:)

What will be mean temperature in December? 5.4 c

I think Nacho's going for the kill...:p

Bligh wrote: »
    Just two quick questions, if Dublin Airport is dropped does this effect the sea area forecast coastal reports also?

is the December Forecast and analysis open to everyone or just regular posters on the fourm?

Cheers

I'll see how that goes in January Bligh. My idea is just to get a more nationwide rounded figure for the mean as opposed to just the Valentia/Dublin line for the Overall Irish Mean. Although for a climatic overview, dropping Dublin Airport might prove to be a problem for me with regards this. But as I said, I'll work something out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

1. What will be mean temperature in December 5.7°c
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 12.6°c
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -6.4°c
    4. What will be the highest temperature recorded at Ballyhaise on Christmas Day? 3°c
    6. Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport? Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

BTW, Clones is closed...........as a met station

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

What will be mean temperature in December? 5.8 c
    What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 12.2C
    What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -5.1
    What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day? 11.2 C
    Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day (more here) ? No

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

What will be mean temperature in December? 6.1 c
    What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 13.8C
    What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -4.9C
    What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day? 7.6 C
    Which station will have the highest rainfall total for the month? Bellmullet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

What will be mean temperature in December? 5.5 c
    What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 12.2C
    What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -4.8C
    What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones?(Ballyhaise) on Christmas Day? 3 C
    Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day (more here) ? Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

What will be mean temperature in December?: 5.6C
    What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations?: 12.6C
    What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations?: -6.0C
    What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day?: 7.3C
    Which station will have the highest rainfall total for the month?: Valentia
    Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day (more here) ?: No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Late forecast, was doing some shoppin till you drop up north over the weekend :)

What will be mean temperature in December?: 5.3C
    What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations?: 10.3C
    What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations?: -8.4C
    What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones on Christmas Day?: 2.5C
    Which station will have the highest rainfall total for the month?: Valentia
    Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day (more here) ?: Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

oops

1. What will be mean temperature in December? 5.2
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 12.0
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -6.4
    4. What will be the highest temperature recorded at Clones/Ballyhaise on Christmas Day? 4.7
    6. Will there be measurable snow at Dublin airport (1mm of snowfall must be recorded as falling between 00:00 and 23:59 local time on Dec 25th 2008.) on Christmas day ? YES

Advertisement