Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can mouldies/blade football boots be used on Astro turf?

• 25-11-2008 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Currently playing with runners but not ideal so was wondering if I could use my football boots?

Or should I buy a pair of astro turf boots instead?

If so, any good bargains out there?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Depends where your playing. Some places won't allow you too.
    I assume you mean the artificial grass kind as opposed to the flat carpet kind (sand based etc)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Yeah it's artificial grass

Then it depends where you plan on playing.
    Some places will let you use moulded studs.
    The majority wont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

As Frisbee said, it depends on the place. Where I used to play you could wear them. Ring them and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

We play on Sand Based and Artificial grass with Boardeaux.

All the lads use Astro Boots on both surfaces.

• Advertisement

I suppose the best thing to do is to ask them.

Then will know if I need to buy a pair of astro boots. I take it most sports shops sell them. Any good value brand to watch out for?

I suppose the best thing to do is to ask them.

Then will know if I need to buy a pair of astro boots. I take it most sports shops sell them. Any good value brand to watch out for?

I find Asics or Kookabura ones to me much better grip wise than any of the more expensive Nike or Adidas.
    I use them week in week out for hockey and they last much longer, and give you a lot more grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hockey?

ghey.

Des wrote: »
    Hockey?

ghey.

Well done

Was merely giving him advice and save him buying a pair of flashy 80euro nike's when he'd get better value from a 40 euro pair of Kookabura's or Asics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

You'd have the touch of a rapist wearing Asics for football. Alright for hockey but not for football. We need to kick the thing you know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Frisbee wrote: »
    Well done

Was merely giving him advice and save him buying a pair of flashy 80euro nike's when he'd get better value from a 40 euro pair of Kookabura's or Asics.

Actually, the Nike astro runners are usually in the 40-60 price range.

Only runners I found comfortable are the Nike Zoom Air ones. The others most hurt my feet in some way or other.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    You'd have the touch of a rapist wearing Asics for football. Alright for hockey but not for football. We need to kick the thing you know ;)

I've used my asics for football and found them to be fine. Same for the Kookabura.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

If it's third generation, then yeah you can wear mouldies no problem. If it's one of those surfaces originally designed for Hockey though you should't wear them.

P.S. Gaillimh Abú, are you talking about playing up on the Salthill Devon Drom surfaces by any chance? they are third generation so mouldies are fine. Don't know for sure about any of the other places, I have a feeling though Drom's the only third generation in the city area at least, if not the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Stekelly wrote: »
    Actually, the Nike astro runners are usually in the 40-60 price range.

Only runners I found comfortable are the Nike Zoom Air ones. The others most hurt my feet in some way or other.
    I have mouldies and play in dcu astro, they are so much better than runners anyway, only problem is my feet get sore in certain places think i might try the nike ones. Where i the best place to get them? any sports store? online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

play in the jjb stadium in dundalk it has 12 indoor pitches with syntetic grass with rubber pellets base use mouldies myself (studs arnt allowed) i find runners can get caught up against the rubber

If it's third generation, then yeah you can wear mouldies no problem. If it's one of those surfaces originally designed for Hockey though you should't wear them.

P.S. Gaillimh Abú, are you talking about playing up on the Salthill Devon Drom surfaces by any chance? they are third generation so mouldies are fine. Don't know for sure about any of the other places, I have a feeling though Drom's the only third generation in the city area at least, if not the county.

Good guessing there. Yeah I play up at Salthill Devon Drom. I just rang them there and they confirmed that mouldies are fine. He said as long as there is no metal in the blades, then football boots are fine.

adamski8 wrote: »
    Where i the best place to get them? any sports store? online?

This site is supposed to be fairly good. Never ordered off them myself though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Des wrote: »
    We play on Sand Based and Artificial grass with Boardeaux.

All the lads use Astro Boots on both surfaces.

That's because you're not allowed moulded studs in the astro league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

LeixlipRed wrote: »

Do you wear Asics Martin? You've already got the touch of a rapist!

Well played with my moulded studs on Wednesday. Twas class compared to normal runners. Felt like roy of the rovers taking shots from all angles. Wohoo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Actually a lot of research coming out at the moment regarding football boots on astro.

Obviously the sand based ankle breaker astro is a no in any stretch of the word.

The rubber based 'synthetic grass' can take any football boots and indeed I wear mouldies (better grip in the rain) when I play on it. Full studs also work on it but offer slightly less grip.

Blades is where most of the research lies as they have found they tend to cause a lot more muscle and ligament strain in the knee area so take that into account when playing.

Any research done on third generation pitches?

Are mouldies the same as blades actually? I thought they were anyhow

Thats a fairly common misconception alright, just as there are moulded studs and regular screw in studs, there are moulded blades and screw in blades. It all depends on how much you paid for your boots, the more expensive boots have screw in blades which are replaceable.

I have moulded blades so by the looks. I take it moulded studs are the circular ones

AS2246.jpg

Moulded studs are usually black and there are most often a lot more studs on the boot than with screw in studs.

Draupnir wrote: »
    Thats a fairly common misconception alright, just as there are moulded studs and regular screw in studs, there are moulded blades and screw in blades. It all depends on how much you paid for your boots, the more expensive boots have screw in blades which are replaceable.

Not necessarily. I have a pair of F50+ which have moulded blades as shown in the picture. While the non-moulded blades are replaceable, the moulded aren't.

sko%20adidas%20f50+%20fg%20sort%20stor.jpg

I have since got a pair of tunits as I play on both grass and astro so they're very handy instead of having to buy 2 pairs of boots.

fullstop wrote: »
    Not necessarily. I have a pair of F50+ which have moulded blades as shown in the picture. While the non-moulded blades are replaceable, the moulded aren't.

sko%20adidas%20f50+%20fg%20sort%20stor.jpg

I have since got a pair of tunits as I play on both grass and astro so they're very handy instead of having to buy 2 pairs of boots.

I don't understand, you haven't contradicted me? I think the f50's that you have come in two price variations, a cheaper moulded blade version and a more expensive, replaceable screw in moulded stud. Just like Predator have done since some other company dreamt up blades and Adidas stole the idea.

I don't understand, you haven't contradicted me? I think the f50's that you have come in two price variations, a cheaper moulded blade version and a more expensive, replaceable screw in moulded stud. Just like Predator have done since some other company dreamt up blades and Adidas stole the idea.

No it's only the metal blades that are replaceable AFAIK. Th cheaper versions are called F10 and F30

fullstop wrote: »
    No it's only the metal blades that are replaceable AFAIK. Th cheaper versions are called F10 and F30

I see, I think a person would have to be mental to pay top dollar for non replaceable studs in any boot though. When mouldies get worn down they can be dangerous and/or even illegal (in footballing terms.)

• Advertisement

I see, I think a person would have to be mental to pay top dollar for non replaceable studs in any boot though. When mouldies get worn down they can be dangerous and/or even illegal (in footballing terms.)

You sayin I'm mental?:mad:

Advertisement