Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of an 07 Golf GT

Options
  • 25-11-2008 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting an 07 Golf GT within the next 6 months or so. Not sure which one to go for - anyone here have experience/opinions?

Dont want a brand new one, just an 07 with say 25k miles MAX.

Considering the way the market is today and the way it will be in 6 months what is the best (realistic) price I could get one for if i pay in cash? Some of the ones I was looking at on carzone seem to be around the 20-22k mark, but with the introduction of the mark VI Golf this month, plus another 6 months of depreciation, what price can I expect to pay around May-June next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

tdc wrote: »
    what price can I expect to pay around May-June next year?

Hmm, where's my crystal ball..

Look at some of the cars just less than a year older and you'll see what it might be at that time next year. But no one really knows, because who knows what'll happen in the next few months in regards to the market etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Thinking of getting an 07 Golf GT within the next 6 months or so. Not sure which one to go for - anyone here have experience/opinions?

Dont want a brand new one, just an 07 with say 25k miles MAX.

Considering the way the market is today and the way it will be in 6 months what is the best (realistic) price I could get one for if i pay in cash? Some of the ones I was looking at on carzone seem to be around the 20-22k mark, but with the introduction of the mark VI Golf this month, plus another 6 months of depreciation, what price can I expect to pay around May-June next year?

An '07 car with 25k would be considered high mileage. Although this might help reduce the cars value.

I would imagine that most cars will suffer the most from depretiation in the first 2-3 months of the year. This year was an anomaly of course.

I was considering a GT also but I want leather seats and they are a rare enough find. I'll be going for an '07 GTi instead and I think that they'll be around the 20-22k mark in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

You'll get a cheaper GTi at the moment. Theres an 07 silver gti in grange for 24k!!

I have a late 07 Gt 170 fully specced and they're a great car but I now expect to be raped if I ever think of changing :mad:

There will be a flood of GTi's coming in soon I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

You'll pick up a decent GTI at a finance repossed auction. Alot of them coming back recently.

At merlin auctions last week, a 07GTI DSG was bid up to 17800 before it was withdrawn - had there been a bid of 19k i reckon it would have gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Would love a GTI but I wouldnt be able to afford the insurance (Im 21).

su_dios why do you think you will lose big time on your 170?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ferris wrote: »
    An '07 car with 25k would be considered high mileage

why, its 2 yrs old with an average of 12.5k miles/year...sounds about normal if the car was bought in the first month or 2 in 07

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just make sure it is not the Golf GT with the whopping 80bhp!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Would love a GTI but I wouldnt be able to afford the insurance (Im 21).

su_dios why do you think you will lose big time on your 170?

I'm 23 and its nice on the insurance. As I'm sure you know the 'GTI' badge brings with it a hefty premium. Have you tried the Skoda Octavia VRS? Same engine as the gti although I would assume insurance is less.

Well I paid 32k for a fully loaded demo GT in January. I'd say I would get only 22k trade in and 26k private maybe inc. the additional bits I've added. Just don't buy new whatever you do. Plenty of deals to be had I'm sure. Try get leather if you can as it really makes a difference.

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    why, its 2 yrs old with an average of 12.5k miles/year...sounds about normal if the car was bought in the first month or 2 in 07

Depends on the reg date I suppose.

If you try to trade in a car a dealer will tell you that anything over 8k per year is above average on a petrol car (in Dublin admittadely).

Personally I wouldn't mind high milage as I do very low annual miles, makes it easier to pick up a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ferris wrote: »
    Depends on the reg date I suppose.

If you try to trade in a car a dealer will tell you that anything over 8k per year is above average on a petrol car (in Dublin admittadely).

Personally I wouldn't mind high milage as I do very low annual miles, makes it easier to pick up a bargain.

Dealers don't want trade-ins no matter what mileage is on them.

Anyway in my experience mileage is not an accurate measurement of use. Irish people in general are too hung up on mileage, most think when a car hits 100k miles it simply implodes.

• Advertisement

At merlin auctions last week, a 07GTI DSG was bid up to 17800 before it was withdrawn - had there been a bid of 19k i reckon it would have gone.

Was talkin to them about that car. They said that the bank were looking for 21k+ to let it go. Do you know what interior it had - im looking for one with leather seats.

Advertisement