Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sharing a car

• 25-11-2008 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭

One of my neighbours is moving and is likely selling her car. I had planned to (before I become an OAP!) get driving lessons, so had a notion to buy it..however..
    I wouldn't use the car on a daily basis as I cycle, so I wondered how feasible/practical it would be to buy it/share it with another friend in the same situation.

Before I go googling insurance stuff etc, was wondering if anyone had any experience of doing this? It seems like a good idea to me, and we would figure out a schedule etc for it. Big shops and trips are what I would use it most for.

Do ye reckon this is doable? Could we have 2 or more people from different addresses able to drive it?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

inisboffin wrote: »
    One of my neighbours is moving and is likely selling her car. I had planned to (before I become an OAP!) get driving lessons, so had a notion to buy it..however..
    I wouldn't use the car on a daily basis as I cycle, so I wondered how feasible/practical it would be to buy it/share it with another friend in the same situation.

Before I go googling insurance stuff etc, was wondering if anyone had any experience of doing this? It seems like a good idea to me, and we would figure out a schedule etc for it. Big shops and trips are what I would use it most for.

Do ye reckon this is doable? Could we have 2 or more people from different addresses able to drive it?
    Thanks!

As far as I know it can only be registered in one person's name, and I can see all sorts of headaches and disputes arising if there was any problem. I'd steer clear if I were you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

Another problem could be insurance. It would be insured in one persons name (with the other person as a named driver), therefore only building up a no claims bonus for the policyholder. However, if the named driver crashes, then the policy holder loses their no claims bonus and has it on their insurance "record".

I know that this is less of a difficulty if neither person has a no claims bonus to begin with, but it could come in to play if the policy holder already has a no claims bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Is there a max of one insured person and one named driver or could you have 2 named drivers?

Thanks for the feedback, don't think the no claims bonus thing would apply.

It is a shame there may not be a way to utilise the car to its max, that's why I haven't had one to date I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Is there a max of one insured person and one named driver or could you have 2 named drivers?

Thanks for the feedback, don't think the no claims bonus thing would apply.

It is a shame there may not be a way to utilise the car to its max, that's why I haven't had one to date I think.

If you will use the car little it may cost you more than if you used taxis.

ie. If insurance worked out at 1100 for example for the two of you. The car cost 2k and tax per year was 320. (before July cost for a 1.4)

That's a total starting off cost of 3420 or 1710 each plus a recurring charge of 660 (Tax+Insurance) per year (insurance would come down as you build up a no claims and more experience)

If you went to Tesco once a week and the taxi cost you 10 euro each time that's 520 a year. Your saving over a hundred euro by using a taxi service. (remember I didn't factor in the cost of petrol either)

Obviously you will need to change around my figures to put in the actual price of insurance & car. The tax may also be less if it's a smaller engine.

Remember a car is a liability (loses you money) not an asset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You can have multiple named drivers on a policy, the figure is based on the highest risk driver. So if your friend is a young male with no driving experience, he's gonna be driving the price of the policy up, hence increasing the price of insurance for you

I personally think you'd be mental to share a car with someone other than your parents/other half, but that's just me. I've seen shared ownership work successfully with big (€500k+) boats but that's because there are legally binding contacts and solicitors involved with the paperwork.

Just imagine your friend puts a scratch down the side of the car doing 500euro worth of damage, you insist on getting it fixed, he's not bothered about the scratch = recipe for disaster and quick way to ruin a friendship.

Think long and hard about it

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You can have multiple named drivers on a policy, the figure is based on the highest risk driver. So if your friend is a young male with no driving experience, he's gonna be driving the price of the policy up, hence increasing the price of insurance for you

I personally think you'd be mental to share a car with someone other than your parents/other half, but that's just me. I've seen shared ownership work successfully with big (€500k+) boats but that's because there are legally binding contacts and solicitors involved with the paperwork.

Just imagine your friend puts a scratch down the side of the car doing 500euro worth of damage, you insist on getting it fixed, he's not bothered about the scratch = recipe for disaster and quick way to ruin a friendship.

Think long and hard about it

Hmm yes, thinking is the thing :)
    The car is a steal for what it is - less than a grand. It is small, nippy and reliable.
    No young lads / racer boys in the deal ;)
    If I do anything like that with taxis, I figure a tenner each way. and that would be a couple of times a week for just me.

I would want us to iron out the 'what ifs' beforehand, but I see the point about cosmetic stuff.

Is there a way for someone to do / be covered for temporary use of vehicle? Say if I was primary insuree (?) and lent it to someone for a week to travel?

I keep going back and forth on having a car to be honest, but I have lost a bit of work recently due to not being able to zip somewhere quickly, hence the headscratching. If it could pay for itself that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So you don't have a licence then?

In that case, you will need to book, sit and pass the theory test, do the vision test, apply for and then receive the provisional licence learner permit. This may take you a month or two. You will then need to get lessons, and you will not be allowed to drive by yourself. You need to have the learners for at least six months before sitting the test.

Or did you get a licence years ago, but have forgotten how to drive since? (Don't laugh, it happens).

If you're sharing, then it's quite possible that the car won't be available at short notice for work things. Taxis are available 24X7.

For shopping and big trips, may I recommend either taxis or www.arguscarhire.ie (no, I don't work for 'em, am just a frequent flyer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Get a few online quotes for insurance, it could be much dearer than you think, could easily be €3000 or so if your two young lads

EDIT: BTW my house mate is on the insurance of my car, he's a similar age and has his liscence a similar amount of time, didn't put up the price of insurance 1c! And although we are house mates my car is insured at my home address so to answer one of your questions you can have two people from two addresses on the same policy, although one of you will be the main policy holder while the other will be a named driver

Also in my opinion, seeing as the car is worth so little I really dont think either of ye should be too bothered about cosmetic damage, only things that impair it from running.

JustMary wrote: »
    So you don't have a licence then?

In that case, you will need to book, sit and pass the theory test, do the vision test, apply for and then receive the provisional licence learner permit. This may take you a month or two. You will then need to get lessons, and you will not be allowed to drive by yourself. You need to have the learners for at least six months before sitting the test.

Or did you get a licence years ago, but have forgotten how to drive since? (Don't laugh, it happens).

If you're sharing, then it's quite possible that the car won't be available at short notice for work things. Taxis are available 24X7.

For shopping and big trips, may I recommend either taxis or www.arguscarhire.ie (no, I don't work for 'em, am just a frequent flyer).

Nope, I am one of those weirdos that cycled, hitched, or lived in cities all my life. Never learned at all. Hmm, so maybe that's part of the new thing with licenses - not being able to drive alone as a learner, or maybe everyone I knew was being illegal!:p I paid little attention to that driving test stuff recently. Ya, looking less and less like I will go for it..though I love the theory and also love the car (I don't love many cars I have to say!). Thanks for the link, will check it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nope, I am one of those weirdos that cycled, hitched, or lived in cities all my life. Never learned at all. Hmm, so maybe that's part of the new thing with licenses - not being able to drive alone as a learner, or maybe everyone I knew was being illegal!:p I paid little attention to that driving test stuff recently. Ya, looking less and less like I will go for it..though I love the theory and also love the car (I don't love many cars I have to say!). Thanks for the link, will check it out!

The link will be no good for you: you need to have had a full licence for two years before the companies will rent to you.

Yes, not being able to drive unaccompanied is part of the recent licence changes. As is having at least six months on the learners permit before you sit a test. Kinda tedious, but it makes a lot of sense for new drivers.

IMHO, driving should be part of the school curriculum: I don't see any good reason why every adult should not be expected to have at least the rules-of-the-road theory, and a basic competence. And that way, it would be taught by registered teachers instead of sometimes-clue-free parents.

• Advertisement
Advertisement