Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 Build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I was just thinking would any game really even take advantage of any quad core? All the processor things are just starting to confuse me :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

RealistSpy wrote: »
    I was just thing would any game really even take advantage of any quad core? All the processor things are just starting to confuse me :S

very few from what i know. I think GTAIV is the only game so far where the quad core results in a marked improvement. other engines like source and that have been reconfigured a bit to take advantage of the other cores, but i don't think there's much of a noticeable performance improvement.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-scaling-in-games-with-quad-core-processors/ - a bit old, but kind of backs up what i'm saying.

by all accounts the games industry has been very slow to change their programming paradigms to make use of the additional hardware threads. Supposedly Sony will continue to use the existing cell for the PS3 in the PS4 as very few developers have really taken advantage of it.

If they don't the i7 could die without ripping its usefulness.

This is how its looking so far I have no money yet for smaller monitor and a case. At the moment I just have a 37inch 1080p to play with.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 / 2.66 GHz processor //Preowned
    Zalman CNPS9700-NT nvidia Tritium CPU Cooler //preowned
    Intel(r) DX48BT2, X48, Socket-775, ATX //preowned
    Corsair Twin3X 2x1Gig of DDR3 1600Mhz CL7-7-7-7-20 //preowned
    Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
    OCZ EliteXStream 800w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply
    Radeon HD 4870 - 512 MB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.0
    hitachi blu ray writer bh20n 6x //preowned

.--. .-. _ .-.
    : .--': : :_;.' `.
    : `; : : .-.`. .'.--.
    : :__ : :_ : : : :' '_.'
    `.__.'`.__;:_; :_;`.__.'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Nice, how does that all cost?

I'm looking at upgrading in the next two months to a similar setup.

Doesn't DDR3 come in packs of 3?

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Nice, how does that all cost?

I'm looking at upgrading in the next two months to a similar setup.

Doesn't DDR3 come in packs of 3?

Every thing cost me €820 but i still need a case. As for the DDR3 in packs of 3 not necessary some in pack of 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ChessHacker

I'm upgrading an AMD 4400+, 1GB RAM.

[HTML]Antec Three Hundred, ATX, ohne Netzteil 54,46 €
    Corsair 620W 620 Watt 116,28 €
    Xigmatek XLF-F8253 LED Lüfter - 80mm 4,98 € 9,96 €
    Xigmatek XLF-F1253 LED Lüfter - 120mm 5,90 € 11,80 €
    ASUS P6T Deluxe, Sockel 1366, ATX, DDR3 254,89 €
    3GB-Triple-Kit Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D DDR3, CL8 109,03 €
    Intel Core i7-920 Box 8192Kb, LGA1366 268,84 €
    WD VelociRaptor 150GB 3,5" SATA II (Rückwandplatinen) 153,47 €
    NEC Opti AD7201S bulk schwarz 30,08 €
    Samsung HD753LJ 750GB S-ATA II, 32MB Cache 69,88 €
    XFX GF 9800GT 670M 512MB DDR3 DUAL DVI, PCI-Express 108,60 €

€1,187.29[/HTML]

Priced at hardwareversand.de

Anybody think I'm crazy?
    My 4400+ is > 3 years old now.
    The Velociraptor is the system drive. Too early to go SSD.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wouldn't bother with the velociraptor. They aren't much better than the samsung drive you have included so save the money and spend it on a better graphics card, case or more ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I wouldn't bother with the velociraptor. They aren't much better than the samsung drive you have included so save the money and spend it on a better graphics card, case or more ram.

I disagree, I just bought that same velociraptor and it is fast! and 5 year warranty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

For the price of a velociraptor you can RAID two bigger drives together and get the same
    performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

For the price of a velociraptor you can RAID two bigger drives together and get the same
    performance.

I always understood that it is fast to raid two hd's but that the reliabilty went down hill. I might be wrong though so, correct me if I'm wrong.:o

Servers use raids all the time. Reliability is down to the drive manufacturer, or in some cases the RAID controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I always understood that it is fast to raid two hd's but that the reliabilty went down hill. I might be wrong though so, correct me if I'm wrong.:o

150gb and 10000rpm for 150e is kinda crazy imo, I think you would be much better off getting a lightning fast ssd and 1tb samsung.

Use a ssd for your os and programs and samusng for media storage and you have a very quiet and peppy machine, that will always feel fresh.

60gb would be best, as 30gb will eaten up in no time by windows, drivers, avg and so on.60gb gives you plenty enough room.They are very sweet and 0latency really makes the difference in some cases but they are bad when it comes to reading large and kinda large files, like games, but thats what the samsung is for.

Posted in another thread, but see this for why having an SSD for an OS drive may not be such a good idea after all.... spoiler: SSD's suck balls when they fragment and they can fragment in a matter of days.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I recently built an i7 machine with an Asus p6t deluxe, Intel 920 and 6Gb of Ocz pc3 12800 and its a stunning machine. A huge improvement over my q6600 build. I was hesitant about getting it considering the price upgrade but the moment it booted up there were no regrets. Photoshop cs4 , 3d Vue, it just eats them up.

I'm just running 2 7200 rpm drives in raid 0 and performance is decent. I've come across a Sas drive for 60 euro. Its only 76Gb and 10000rpm. Any one think it would be a boost over raid 0 for OS and a few apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Posted in another thread, but see this for why having an SSD for an OS drive may not be such a good idea after all.... spoiler: SSD's suck balls when they fragment and they can fragment in a matter of days.

SSD's arnt meant to be defragged iirc
    its not needed
    My friend got an SSD drive a few weeks ago and it said on the box that a disc defragmention is not necessary with SSD technology.

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52065

Errr? Read the Article again. It specifically states that SSD's DO fragment, that they suffer far more of a performance hit as a result of fragmentation, and that they can't be fixed without dramatically reducing the lifespan of the drive. This is an article borne out of a few months of well-run testing on a drive that has a much better controller than the average cheapo drive, and takes the best steps possible to avoid the fragmentation problem. Not only is it not immune, the results are shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Kickaha

Well u seem to have the system almost built :),but ill toss in a screenie of my month old pc.Cost was about 600 euro
    Memory came from memoryc.ie and most of the rest from pixmania:eek:.
    I was lucky in the order("Ive allways been lucky when it comes to killing things":Clint eastwood,unforgiven)
    It is a huge improvement in WoW and elder scrolls..I dont have crysis etc.
    It will run 500 mhz fsb stable but its turned down for longer life.
    Graphics is a msi 9600gt 512mb memory oclked to match the pc ram speed(for neatness).
    Oh cpu cooler (coolermaster v8) cost almost as much as psu and case combined 56 euro,
    It works really well tho and comes with 1336 fitting kit so it can be used in an upgrade later.

Advertisement