Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subway "meat"

• 25-11-2008 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭

This was posted over in consumer issues.
    Biggins wrote: »
    * A word of caution, Subway meats have been linked to a food poisoning outbreak that has recently reached across 120 different shops Ireland and England that has injured many and killed one.
    Source 1: http://www.uepengland.com/bbs/index.php?showtopic=8886
    Source 2: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1043031/Sandwich-chain-Subway-linked-deadly-salmonella-outbreak.html
    Source 3: http://current.com/items/89183441/salmonella_scare_linked_to_subway_outlets.htm
    Source 4: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0808/food.html
    As well as reported by BBC, etc.

Subway (by far) by the way were selected on a recent BBC Watchdog special as one of the worst meat shops you could buy your meals from.
    I saw the actual programme.
    Others saw it too: http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/forums/thread/509255.aspx

How they can to this conclusion was that they went around the shops and tested at random, their meats.
    It was found that their meats were of the compact variety.
    What this means is that the meat they supply you in your rolls, etc is taken from an animal - fair enough - but instead of using select sections as is normally done in supermarkets were they say what part of the animal you are getting, Subway, etc use every part of the animal including the brain, the penis and the rump (backside).
    They then get all those parts and chop them all up/mince them all together, then squash it down again into a flat shape again and form in into a roll to be later sliced at the shop.
    The report also found that the animals that are used are "bloated" animals.
    This means that rather than using animals that have been feed by natural process and feeds, the animals are given before they are killed, more quantities of water as part of their intake so that their body will be un-naturally bloated to make them fill out and appear to have higher meat content.
    In actual fact, the meat your then eventually get is of lower grade, have higher water content and not considered a natural product that your eating, taking into account the amount of "filler" added during the slice and dicing process.

I'm not a vegetarian, I just like eating quality food and meat of supermarket standard and know what I'm getting exactly.
    I wouldn't touch certain shop meats/sandwiches/rolls with a barge poll.

There's a lot to be said about seeing your roll bought in a more local shop, not a so called franchised trendy fast food outlet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I always knew Jarad loved animal penis, I just could never confirm it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭shift

I find it very hard to believe that subway use ALL parts of the animal. I watched a program on bbc once 'Britains really disgusting foods' where they made pies from the worst ingredients they could get away with. They rang up the Food standards agency with a list of stuff asking whether it was allowed like eyes, brains etc. Most of it is forbidden but some things like connective tissue is allowed. I doubt subway would risk using these ingredients (illegal stuff), although i doubt thier meatball maranara has anything decent in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Am I weird? I have no problem with eating all the parts of an animal. I reckon if it has to die to feed me, I should give it the respect to eat as much as possible. I regularly cook kidney, liver and heart, and am willing to try tripe and brains if someone else will cook them for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I found a cows pube in my sub of the day today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Admiitedly I don't like the thought that I'm inadvertedly eating c*ck but meh subway is tasty, I get a free large drink with it all the time and is the best choice I have where I work apart from making my own stufff obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

If its a consumer issues would you not date the post

THIS HAPPEN LAST SUMMER 08 NOT TO DAY !
    AND THERE TO OPEN MORE STORES WITH MORE JOBS !
    all the story where dated 08/08 09/08 this year

the food to good and still hasnt killed me yet

rubadub and Biggins was problem off Dawn Meaths , lot off products that where taken off supermarket shelves aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

EileenG wrote: »
    Am I weird? I have no problem with eating all the parts of an animal.
    I have no real problem, but would not like looking at fully intact genitals thanks! I also have no real problem with what animal it is. The subway 12" horse sub ;)
    extraice wrote: »
    If its a consumer issues would you not date the post

THIS HAPPEN LAST SUMMER 08 NOT TO DAY ! l
    Sorry yes, if you click on the arrow next to Biggins name it jumps to his post (today). This thread was not meant to be simply about subway, but the fact it could still be going on, and people may be ignorant of what is in meat products. Of course supermarkets could be dodgy, but at least most have ingredients list, so consumers are hopefully more informed as to what they are eating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Sorry but the original post is just plain silly.

First off I love the idea that Subway dont use top quality meat is a surprise:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:Seriously do people really expect in a place like subway the meet is going to come from organically fed aniamls? lol!

Secondly what the hell is wrong with using all parts of the animal? People have this mental block about certain parts of an animal when in reality is no more dangerous than eating any other part. I love the way he puts (backside) in after rump to make it sound dirty:rolleyes: loads of people eat rump steak and it is the most popular steak for stews and casseroles.

Thirdly, what the hell is he talking about when he says "There's a lot to be said about seeing your roll bought in a more local shop" what? Most "local shops" are Spar or Londis franchises and the sandwich meat they sell in there is just as bad if not far worse than subway. Even butchers with deli's in them sell the ****ty meat for sandwhices. Your not going to find any deli in Dublin that uses premium meat in sandwhices.

Just trying to cause panic and controversy where there is none.

rubadub wrote: »
    I have no real problem, but would not like looking at fully intact genitals thanks! I also have no real problem with what animal it is. The subway 12" horse sub ;)

My father used to have a landlady who constantly fed all her students stew made with eyeballs and genitals and other odds and ends. Don't particularly fancy making it myself, but I'd eat it if someone else cooked it. Hell, I've eaten enough insects whole when I'm out on the bike that I can't honestly say there's any parts I wouldn't eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

This doesn't surprise me... The meat in subway looks not very decent.

However, it tastes good to me, and I think their stuff is good... I only think their range of vegetables is not the best.

I've been to china and I live with chinese people... I think I've eaten every part of most animals, so that kind of stuff doesn't bother me.

They chew on Chickens Legs in China and I must admit, they taste really good. Also Pig Ear salad is awesome.... However... Cow Anus is NOT good... and yes, I've tried it. *shudder*

• Advertisement

There was a Chinese restaurant in Moore Street where I used to eat, and it had lots of things like pigs ear, chicken bones, tripe surprise and other assorted bits. I thought the pigs feet were very sticky but I liked everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

a certain deli with an irish name wanted 50 cent from me for a piece of lettuce, i refused to take the lot, some profit from a head of iceberg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

tripe that is fing lovely

Advertisement