Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Duplicate licences

Options
  • 25-11-2008 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi there im new to the boards and was wondering....... if your on your second licence ie duplicate and that then gets destroyed after a few years as the irish licences do cos they are paper would you still be able to get another duplicate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I would see no reason why not.

Its not the license holder's fault that they are made so badly.

Why we cant have credit card style licenses like the rest of europe Ill never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Its not the license holder's fault that they are made so badly.
    !

Its the licence holdrs fault if they dotn look after it though.

I have mine in my wallet and bar the couple of mm over hang the licence is 100%. It's over 9 years old at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It's not the most robust alright, but I don't think it was designed to be used as ID for pubs and clubs either. Mine will easily last the 10 years because it's in the sleeve and I leave it in my car.

Credit card ones would be great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭sammy657

I know i still have like 8 years left on mine and on the duplicate. Plus i drive quite abit so im always having it in my pocket and im stopped like a few times a month and asked to see it. So worried it wont last the 8 yrs:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I can't imagine there'd be a problem with getting another.
    Why we cant have credit card style licenses like the rest of europe Ill never know!

Unfortunately its probably because the Irish government would make far less money out of us.

• Advertisement

Yeah the uk ones are good tho but you still have the paper counterpart. Why that is needed i dont know they should store endorsments on a file like they do here

Fizman wrote: »
    Unfortunately its probably because the Irish government would make far less money out of us.

Do you really think that the cash they get from some people getting a €15 replacement over the 10 year life of a license is really why they do that?

Or maybe it's the logistical nightmare of implementing a brand new system.

Hopefully it's on the cards, but take care of your license and you'll be fine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

You shouldnt have a problem getting a duplicate liecense.

Go into the garda station, they will sort you out.

Yeh was wondering cos i dont want it to say fall apart like 4 years down the line and im like oh dam

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

eoin_s wrote: »
    Do you really think that the cash they get from some people getting a €15 replacement over the 10 year life of a license is really why they do that?

Or maybe it's the logistical nightmare of implementing a brand new system.

Hopefully it's on the cards, but take care of your license and you'll be fine.
    AFAIK there were plans to introduce credit card licences a couple of years ago, but at about the same time the EU announced that they were going to introduce a proper EU wide licence (as opposed to the EU model licences we have now) which would also be a credit card sized one. I'm guessing they thought that it wasn't worth introducing a new form of licence that would only be in circulation for a few years.

• Advertisement

I spose. How long have other peoples licences lasted?

Alun wrote: »
    AFAIK there were plans to introduce credit card licences a couple of years ago, but at about the same time the EU announced that they were going to introduce a proper EU wide licence (as opposed to the EU model licences we have now) which would also be a credit card sized one. I'm guessing they thought that it wasn't worth introducing a new form of licence that would only be in circulation for a few years.

That would make sense then.

I've had mine since 2001, and it's still in very good condition. However, it's in the car all the time as that's the only time I need it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Kildare County Council interrogated me on the first replacement, but that was just a jobsworth counter person. If you have the ratty old bits of licence they know for sure you're not selling them or anything and its not like a passport with a restriction on how many you can lose...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Heard a funny story about this once.... you know the way in most wallets your driving license sticks out the top by about centimetre or so, well a friend decided to just shave a bit off the top and bottom so it would fit nicely in the wallet.

Soon after he got stopped by a guard and asked to show his license. The guard went through him and he was told to get a new one.

If you change address and need to get the new license updated its free once your within the life of the license.

MYOB wrote: »
    Kildare County Council interrogated me on the first replacement, but that was just a jobsworth counter person. If you have the ratty old bits of licence they know for sure you're not selling them or anything and its not like a passport with a restriction on how many you can lose...

Oh so they would give me another one if worst comes to worst? I took my last one in as it had ripped

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Mine went into the wash, it was still readable, had to pay 15 euro for a new one. I emailed gormley ( local TD , hopefully for not much longer)
    told me they planned CC type cards in 2011.

Was that a duplicate?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭HAMMERCURRENT

there is a form that you must fill out, so that you can get a duplicate driver's licence, fill in the form(lost/stolen/etc), get it stamped at garda station, go to your local motor tax office with 2 photos and 10 euro and proof if ID (passport) and they'll post you a duplicate.

I'm told that some people "pretend" that they have lost their licence in order to get a second one, so if they drive two vehicles, they can leave a licence in each.

I took my one back when it was ripped and they took it off me and gave me a new one. What i was asking tho is if then you loose the duplicate or it gets ripped would you give you another duplicate of the duplicate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Anybody can have two licenses. It does not matter how many time you ask for a replacement. There are idiots out there who can barely look after themselves let alone a license.

On that note, I feel embarassed when Im abroad hiring a car. It looks so backward having a dishevelled looking piece of paper :o

So even if you got a duplicate of the duplicate would it still show the code in your licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have two driving licenses because I wanted one for the truck and the other for the car because i didnt want to get to a check point without one(for leaving it in one or the other vehicle).

The only difference in the licenses is the picture. One is more recent and much fatter than the other taking in 1999

You cant hold 2 licences at once like that its illigal your only allowed to hold 1 licence

Advertisement